DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

30 minutes ago, Jiji said:

You sure about that, dawg? 

Yes, quite sure. Form when he become the NXT play by play guy to when I stopped watching NXT in Summer 2019, I thought that his work greatly aided the product and helped make NXT a cool brand. Now, maybe his work fell off after that, but I Mauro is a much better fit for the AEW brand than JR in 2021.

Edit: If this was JR of 1989 that was in his prime and worked quite hard to sell NWA as the best wrestling in the world (which it was), then no, Mauro's best does not meet that best (though it's very good). 2021 JR, who has seen wrestling basically pass him by, cannot touch the Mauro from the NXT that I watched.

Edited by Big Z

16 hours ago, AxB said:

Did Schiavone really say Ashley D'Amboise started her career in April? She's working Elevation having been in the business ONE month?

Brooke Havoc's second pro wrestling match was on AEW Dark.

28 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Yes, quite sure. Form when he become the NXT play by play guy to when I stopped watching NXT in Summer 2019, I thought that his work greatly aided the product and helped make NXT a cool brand. Now, maybe his work fell off after that, but I Mauro is a much better fit for the AEW brand than JR in 2021.

Edit: If this was JR of 1989 that was in his prime and worked quite hard to sell NWA as the best wrestling in the world (which it was), then no, Mauro's best does not meet that best (though it's very good). 2021 JR, who has seen wrestling basically pass him by, cannot touch the Mauro from the NXT that I watched.

To each their own but I feel, at least on DVDVR, you're in the minority. From what I sawr on Twitter too, it feels like quite a few people soured on him especially as time went on. The references, the constant shouting and high energy, everything felt forced. I hated it. 

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

To each their own but I feel, at least on DVDVR, you're in the minority. From what I sawr on Twitter too, it feels like quite a few people soured on him especially as time went on. The references, the constant shouting and high energy, everything felt forced. I hated it. 

I can take your word and AxB's word if his work fell off in his last year there cause I stopped watching (AEW's start gave me the reason I needed to stop following any of Vince's product, especially when NXT was pitted as its main rival). I could also see how some may think Mauro is over the top, but the enthusiasm for the product definitely felt real to me, and I always though that he tried to advance the story and never actively buried guys.

I appreciate MMA and Boxing Mauro so much. It pains me to write negatively about him, but awful is awful. I don't know when he became The Worst Wrestling Announcer In The World, it took awhile. Definitely after the JBL incident, definitely during his NXT run. Maybe I was watching the first NXT War Games match when I realized how bad he was at cutting off the rest of the booth? Maybe that's the day he started writing out his 30-second pop culture allusions instead of just winging them? Anyway, yeah, I'd rather have Jim Duggan rig up a modified kitchen appliance that can fit in my ears.

Elevation is supposed to be the "better" show than Dark, right? 5 matches were entirely comprised of wrestlers who are on TV at least sometimes. When touring comes back, I kind of assume Rampage is gonna be the dark matches taped before and after Dynamite, Elevation will be semi-relevant stuff taped in two-or-three week batches @ Daily's Place, and Dark will turn into Excalibur and Taz watching World of Sport rips on dailymotion.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

12 hours ago, Big Z said:

If and when they swap out JR for Mauro Ranallo in the AEW booth, the product will get that much better. JR was a great announcer in his day, but does not fit well with the AEW product. Mauro, if he's anything like his NXT style, would be amazing as the play by play guy for the company.

i only know Mauro from his MMA announcing, but i have never been a fan. If he became the lead announcer on Dynamite i would likely cut my watching down significantly. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AxB said:

That one missed dive in the Gunn Club match was BRUTAL DEATH.

Holy Shit, it looked bad to start with and then you looked again and he was stacked on his neck and it looked even worse.

It's almost as though young wrestlers shouldn't be doing suicide dives in enhancement matches that don't matter.

• Like 1

Just lmfao at the timing of his post. Methinks he's aware that his tweets are read by the top brass @ AEW so of course he's happy there! It's not like he goes and rags on them all the time on his or others podcasts, does he? Well I mean if he has, he doesn't have a history of doing this, does he? Well okay if he has done that in the past, I mean, it's not like he buries the talent on live TV right? I mean surely he wouldn't.... oh, well he has!? ??

I'm indifferent to announcers but only because I'm the weirdo who used to enjoy over the top enthusiasm in their announcers like Joey Styles in ECW and Matt Striker in LU, so I don't think I have the best taste there hahahahaha

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Elevation is supposed to be the "better" show than Dark, right? 5 matches were entirely comprised of wrestlers who are on TV at least sometimes. When touring comes back, I kind of assume Rampage is gonna be the dark matches taped before and after Dynamite, Elevation will be semi-relevant stuff taped in two-or-three week batches @ Daily's Place, and Dark will turn into Excalibur and Taz watching World of Sport rips on dailymotion.

You're crazy if you think they're gonna use Daily's Place to tape anything once they're on the road again. The logistics of running a touring schedule plus adding in regular stops to Jacksonville to do marathon taping they can just tape on the road is pure insanity. Not to mention you have a real crowd to film in front of, why wouldn't you use it? I assume the taping will look like:

Weds 8-10 Dynamite live. 10-11 tape a few matches for Dark. Nothing like it's been during the pandemic with 15 matches, Dark will return to 4 or 5 matches.

Fris 8-10 tape 7 or 8 Elevation matches. 10-11 Rampage live. Elevation with have more matches, just based on Rampage being only an hour show. So it will be the bigger and more high profile of the two You Tube shows. But still no where near 15 matches.

That way both nights of taping get you 3 hours. From a live event standpoint both tickets are the "same". You get 3 hours of AEW action and a live TV show experience. And from a travel stand point you book two buildings in similar location. Fly the boys into Chicago for Wednesday night, they have Thursday off as a travel day, then Friday is in like Milwaukee.

• Like 2

The tournament match was pretty good so this will likely to be more of the same. It's a shame Riho went MIA again after the tournament or we could have a secondary angle going on in the women's division right now.

• Like 1

I watched Darkelvation last night, and while the action was fine, I have to say my favourite part was the announcers not knowing what to say to Alex Reynolds's "charging crotch to the face" manoeuvre.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alstein said:

The buy-in match this weekend is Riho vs Deeb for the NWA belt.

I don't know what happened with Riho but this should have been on the PPV with a good build towards it.  Especially now that Serena's a heel if that one match is any indication.

I like Mauro a lot. I feel that a lot of you are overly negative towards the guy.

Forgot to add that even though I like Mauro, I wouldn't want him stepping all over Excalibur and Tony. I think what they have now with Excalibur, Tony, and JR works really well and it's probably my favorite announcing desk since the days of Corey Graves and Tom Phillips in NXT before Walking Daddy Issues started screaming in their ears.

Edited by Craig H

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

You're crazy if you think they're gonna use Daily's Place to tape anything once they're on the road again. The logistics of running a touring schedule plus adding in regular stops to Jacksonville to do marathon taping they can just tape on the road is pure insanity. Not to mention you have a real crowd to film in front of, why wouldn't you use it? I assume the taping will look like:

Would going back to Daily's Place once a month for a marathon for Dark and Elevation tapings be any different than doing CenterStage tapings in WCW back in the day? 

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Ross comes off like the football commentator who lost his job working for the Cowboys and is now floating from job to job around lower-tier colleges and the arena league, bitterly half-assing it and just drunk as fuck.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm laughing my ass off so hard right now.

Here you go. Enjoy.

We have a little controversy going about who I apparently said that I thought Randy Orton was the best wrestler in the world. People forget that I recruited these guys. I’ve had a business association with a guy like Randy Orton since day one. Coach Barry Switzer said, ‘You recruit these kids for life’ and I kind of take that to heart. I’ve helped a lot of guys who got down on their luck and needed a check, what have you, way past WWE days.

Apparently, people thought I was besmirching Kenny Omega...Nothing could be farther from the truth..How many times have I said to you (Conrad Thompson), ‘I can have many opinions to this question and have many answers.’...I don’t know how that could be such a big issue. I just don’t get it. I really don’t understand what the inflammation is regarding this topic that is so subjective. There’s no right or wrong answer. He’s the best in the world based on what? Arm drags? Drop toeholds? Money drawn? Major events headlined? Tenure? What is the criteria? TV ratings?

I don’t know what the criteria is for these things. Anybody that can debate me and tell me that Randy Orton is not one of the best in the world will have a hard time winning that argument. Anybody can debate me and say, ‘Well, I think Kenny Omega is.’ Well, you make a good point. I don’t have any problem with that. Kenny Omega is the AEW Champion. He’s a hell of a hand. There’s no doubt about it, but golly. People are so sensitive right now, but that’s the whole tone and tenor of social media.

I’m not so sure how great in some sense that social media is for pro wrestling today, because it’s one little blotch, one little missed word, one little missed move, and it becomes a major issue. It’s getting a little bit predictable first of all, but it’s getting a little bit tired, if you know what I’m saying.

JR, you're just digging yourself deeper. I get what you're saying, but you're not helping.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Big Z said:

If and when they swap out JR for Mauro Ranallo in the AEW booth, the product will get that much better. JR was a great announcer in his day, but does not fit well with the AEW product. Mauro, if he's anything like his NXT style, would be amazing as the play by play guy for the company.

Is there talk of Mauro coming in?  

I’ve only seen a handful of Takeover and TVs but I get baffled by the Mauro-hate.  I love his enthusiasm, his sense of humour, his voice and his play by play ability.  There hasn’t been a commentator I’ve enjoyed as much since Joey Styles manned the booth solo or opposite Callis.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
Manned not maned
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Would going back to Daily's Place once a month for a marathon for Dark and Elevation tapings be any different than doing CenterStage tapings in WCW back in the day? 

If you're into making money, then yeah lol. Very different.

Center stage gave away free tickets and still only had like 300 right? I also don't think, when you're having a bit of trouble selling all the Dynamite tickets in Jacksonville, you're gonna be able to sell any tickets for a 6 hour taping session of enhancement matches. Saturday Night was WCW's main show when they were doing Center Stage. Not asking people to show up for Austin Gunn vs independent talents of varying skill level... for six hours.

I mean unless you are wanting them to keep taping these matches in empty buildings? But that's not how you improve. No matter how serious you take an empty building match, you're never going to learn as much from that as you will in front of a live audience. You can't really learn you listen to a crowd and feeling their energy....  if there is no crowd. Right?