DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

"I told you that wasn't yoga." "I'm hungry!"  JD Drake, truly a man of the people.

The beautification of JD Drake is one of my favorite things in pro wrestling right now.  Ryan Nemeth as Pygmalion and Cezar Bononi as the playa hater are the best.

It's almost as good as the Peter Avalon / Brandon Cutler blood feud from last year.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I don't really have a problem with JR not lying to himself and saying something he doesn't believe in. He doesn't think Kenny is the best guy in the world. That's fine. Whatever. But Randy Orton? That's who JR thinks is the best in the world despite not watching regularly? Ok then.

• Haha 2

Frankly, I think Omega is better off not having JR calling him the best pro wrestler in the world. 

I mean, literally, one of my comments from the April 29th Dynamite thread was this: JR asking "How cool is Orange Cassidy?" was the least cool Orange Cassidy has ever seemed to me

It's like if you have a kinda dumb and mildly embarrassing uncle, or something, and you find out that, say, "Nothing else Matters" is his favourite song then you are going to enjoy Metallica just a little less from that point on... if you get what I mean.

and if he had called Kenny the best in the world it probably would have come across as disingenuous anyway. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

and if he had called Kenny the best in the world it probably would have come across as disingenuous anyway. 

It's like when he calls the Bucks the best tag team in the world. As stupid Lawler liked to say, I wouldn't believe him if his tongue was notarized. 

• Haha 1

JR is a company guy so the best wrestler in the world will undeniably be the main title holder in the company he works for, regardless of whether or not that guy really is the actual ace of the company.

I'm not even sure why we continue to be angry about it.  We all know how his mind works.

Edited by J.T.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Did Schiavone really say Ashley D'Amboise started her career in April? She's working Elevation having been in the business ONE month?

ProFightDb says she had her first match ever on Apr 21st 2021 losing to Penelope Ford on Dark, then lost to Nyla on May 5th, lost to Rosa on May 13th, lost to Megan Bayne in WWR on May 16th in her first match ever outside AEW and that's apparently her whole career.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hagan said:

Listening to the kerfluffle with Ross and Omega and, man, really time to put Ross out to pasture. It's not that he doesn't have the right to his opinion but you really gotta think that deep down he still believes you don't "make it" til you make the WWE and the rest of these guys are just slumming around the minor leagues. 

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I don't really have a problem with JR not lying to himself and saying something he doesn't believe in. He doesn't think Kenny is the best guy in the world. That's fine. Whatever. But Randy Orton? That's who JR thinks is the best in the world despite not watching regularly? Ok then.

Say it with me, everybody. 

Every. Single. Old. Carny. Thinks. He. Has. One. More. Run. In. New. York. Left. In. Him. If. He. Can. Just. Stay. In. Junior's. Good. Graces.

I said this constantly whenever Prichard staunchly avoided saying a cross word about Vince on his podcast before he was rehired and people were all like, "why would Prichard lie?  He never wants to go back to WWE herp derp"

Now we have Ross out here talking up the guy who is Vince's ideal of what a wrestler should be.  Come on now.  Dude couldn't be more transparent unless he was filling out a WWE job application on air.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Many highlights. 21:27 when Alex and 10 crack up at Silver's line. Silver breaks everyone: Anna, Orange, 10, Alex and 10. Also Brian Cage with a needle under him.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Curious if AEW is looking into making some of the NJ Young Lions semi regulars once the company resumes touring. We had the Narita match, there was reportedly talk of having Shota Umino also accompany Nagata for the Moxley match, plus you had Cody inexplicably name drop Gabriel Kidd. 

Yes, I know announcers no longer reveal what women weigh in their introductions, but not having Justin Roberts say that Abadon weighs "1,000 Lost Souls" is a crime. (Though Tony mentioning Abadon's height was odd)

26 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Say it with me, everybody. 

Every. Single. Old. Carny. Thinks. He. Has. One. More. Run. In. New. York. Left. In. Him. If. He. Can. Just. Stay. In. Junior's. Good. Graces.

I said this constantly whenever Prichard staunchly avoided saying a cross word about Vince on his podcast before he was rehired and people were all like, "why would Prichard lie?  He never wants to go back to WWE herp derp"

Not we have Ross out here talking up the guy who is Vince's ideal of what a wrestler should be.  Come on now.  Dude couldn't be more transparent unless he was filling out a WWE job application on air.

If this is the case, the best thing about this is he gave what would have been the right answer ten+ years ago.

It's 2021. Roman Reigns, baby. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Many highlights. 21:27 when Alex and 10 crack up at Silver's line. Silver breaks everyone: Anna, Orange, 10, Alex and 10. Also Brian Cage with a needle under him.

Check the outro as well. Attention to detail!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If this is the case, the best thing about this is he gave what would have been the right answer ten+ years ago.

I mean, that's who my mind went to first. Roman is head and shoulders above everyone else right now. Drew's star has faded, and while Lashley is still awesome and it's great that he's been protected, he's not on Roman's level. But still, I don't even think Roman is the best in the world. He's at least up there. 

Also, maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think JR has much desire to go back to WWE. I stopped listening to his podcast awhile ago, but when I was listening to it, the dude sounded like he had no intention of ever going back to WWE because JR wants to work and Vince just wants to stick him in a corner somewhere and never use him. Him praising someone like Orton doesn't strike me as trying to stay in Vince's good graces. It's just an old ass man with an outdated opinion.

Now, if he had an ironclad guarantee from Vince that he would be used as a weekly announcer then I think he would consider going back, but he knows Vince's word means nothing. Although, you can practically see a scenario happening where Vince promises JR that as long as he's in charge of WWE then he'll be the announcer on Raw, only for Vince to step down and let Nick Khan run everything within a few months of JR signing and then Nick Khan sticks JR back in a corner somewhere. JR, for as smart as he thinks he is, often lets his heart get in the way of his decision making and is seemingly incapable of looking down the road to see what his job security would be.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

JR is a company guy so the best wrestler in the world will undeniably be the main title holder in the company he works for, regardless of whether or not that guy really is the actual ace of the company.

But he picked Randy Orton as the best in the world. He doesn't work for JR's company at all, and I don't think he's even a title-holder for the company he does work for.

My big issue with Jim Ross is the same as I had when he called NJPW. He clearly doesn't like what he's seeing the majority of the time. I don't see the value in having an announcer who hates what they're calling. He can't enjoy it either. 

It's a huge issue plaguing baseball where the commentators spend more time burying the sport than calling the game. 

Like, Jim Ross, who is one of the biggest carnies ever, still can't be bothered to put over the world champion of the company he works for. Who needs that? Jim Cornette is equally a terrible person but at least when he was getting paid he treated every company he was in like it was '86 Crockett. 

At the end of the day, Ross's thinking of what wrestling should be is far closer to Vince McMahon/Kevin Dunn/Bruce Pritchard than anyone in AEW. Just seems like a bad fit at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I think Kenny lumping JR in with Cornette and toxic Twitter trolls in a pointless, bitter post is funnier and more entertaining than any opinion JR voiced on his podcast.

ftfy.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

There has been no point in the last 20 years where Randy Orton is the right answer.

Orton is seriously one of the major reasons why I stopped watching the WWE. His shit was so soft and loose that it just made watching the product hard to get through.

Orton is the antithesis of Bret. 

• Like 1

JR would be an asset to AEW if used exclusively in the intimate sit down interview setting.  Coupled with a weekly company podcast where he’s asking rather than answering the questions.  

Just listened to the Nick Gage interview by Chris Van Vliet.  The guy seems like he’s come a long way, and I for one am hoping to see him pop up for at least a run or stint in AEW.  The Darkside episode really didn’t do much to show any of the positive changes he seems to have made.  He comes off very grateful and dare I say likeable in this CVV follow up interview.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I think Kenny lumping JR in with Cornette and toxic Twitter trolls in a pointless, bitter post is less professional than any opinion JR voiced on his podcast.

JR should demand an apology. The sooner he stands up for himself, the sooner we get a Revolution 2021 episode of Grillin' JR. 

The Bunny is the veteran glue that holds a tag match together but Kilynn King's offense is what really gets the match over.  Madi Wrenkowski is the Hollywood John Tatum of the match.

Oh man, Julia Hart is soooo not ready to be on tv yet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Madi Wrenkowski is the Hollywood John Tatum of the match.

That's just about the highest praise one can give another. 

There's a clip on twitter of the gorilla position and crowd reactions during Moxley's debut at DoN and it struck me how on the company's very first show they had their, by far, best stunt bump to date. That panel that Omega landed on gave but didn't look like cardboard boxes. Looked devastating. Perhaps it was and that's why they haven't replicated it, but holy shit it looked 1000x better than any of the big bumps they've done since. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

If and when they swap out JR for Mauro Ranallo in the AEW booth, the product will get that much better. JR was a great announcer in his day, but does not fit well with the AEW product. Mauro, if he's anything like his NXT style, would be amazing as the play by play guy for the company.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1