DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Also, the people saying Dynamite won't be pre-empted on TBS are in a weird bubble. TBS still airs the MLB postseason every year. And NCAA stuff too I believe.

NCAA basketball tourney games don't happen on Wednesdays.  They normally do Thurs-Sun on the first two weeks (this year, they did Fri-Mon, and I don't know if that's permanent) and then Sat/Mon for the Final Four/Finals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TNT is their marquee network, TBS is for the sitcoms and stuff. Perhaps this is a strategy to uplift TBS using aew as an anchor? I’m not saying doom and gloom at all, perhaps it will end up being much better. But aew didn’t pick up the phone and ask for this. They didn’t name their tv title the TNT title for nothing. Curious how much cash they’re getting for this. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I need to know more about this, as I have a RokuTV and was just about to resubscribe. 

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

I Dunno, outside of the initial loadtime, I haven't had any issue with HBOMax on Roku.

So for me, it's the load times and everything we watch on there either buffers or freezes. If I use the app on the PS5, it works perfectly.

My other problem is the layout of their programming. When Adventure Time: Obsidian was released, I had to practically dig to find it. And all of the "HBO Max Original" series feel very un-HBO like. That's not exactly a problem with the app, but again, if I want to actually watch an HBO original series, like Silicon Valley, I have to dig for it. First world problems though, and all that.

• Thanks 1

BTW, I guess I'm in the camp that it's not doom and gloom yet, but I don't see this being a good move. Like someone else said, I recognize TBS as the defunct superstation that just airs endless reruns and their stabs at original programming failed. TNT carries more prestige and feels like a bigger deal. Even though TNT is also just a channel for reruns and NBA, it still felt more important than TBS.

Let's put it another way and travel back in time two years. Imagine if the scuttlebutt was that AEW was going to be on TNT only for it to be announced as being on TBS. Sure, you'd have people saying, "but it's still on a big cable channel," but there's no way them being announced on TBS back then wouldn't be disappointing. 

Or, how about this? "WRESTLING IS BACK ON TNT!" Well, only for a limited time.

There's plenty of ways you can spin this news as being bad, good, or somewhere in the middle, but there's no way it isn't at least a little disappointing. Another issue is shuffling around one of your most popular shows to a different channel AND putting your brand new show in what is practically the "death slot" at 10 pm on a fucking Friday. Ain't nobody going to be watching that live.

So yeah, the number of homes may be slightly more for TBS and AEW may be getting paid more money to do this, but there is definitely an undercurrent of "bad" to this whole thing and at the very least, it remains disappointing.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that making this move for 10s of millions and no contract extension also doesn't sound great.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While they have yet to venture out of Jacksonville, Florida, since making it their home base during the pandemic, AEW is planning for the last part of 2021 as November's Full Gear pay-per-view will be held in St. Louis, MO.

The show will be on Saturday, November 6th, with the venue yet to be confirmed. AEW is running a rescheduled Dynamite that Friday at the city's Chaifetz Arena, but it's unconfirmed whether the PPV will be at the same place.

The news was first reported by Fightful and confirmed by Dave Meltzer.

Lots of weirdness here. Their first renewal was already 8 figures. $43 million. So is that saying they got 8 figures MORE for this, or just using clever wording to rehash what we already know?

I made the TBS title joke but I think this move demonstrates, while an okay idea in theory, no wrestling promotions should be naming titles after tv networks. Not a single wrestling show around has stayed on a the same channel. Best to change the TNT title to a proper TV title, or some similarly minded name.

So if I'm reading correctly... Dynamite & Rampage are both on TNT this year. Once 2022 hits BOTH move to TBS, correct? And the only wrestling on TNT as of 2022 will be the 4 quarterly specials. Which to me isn't a big deal. Like it's literally moving one channel away on my remote. I don't think (with 6 months of lead time to promote) that this switch really hurts them in any real way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I made the TBS title joke but I think this move demonstrates, while an okay idea in theory, no wrestling promotions should be naming titles after tv networks. Not a single wrestling show around has stayed on a the same channel.

Exactly.  Why name a title after something outside your control, like the TV network you're on?  Shit, Smackdown is on its 4th or 5th network, right? 

Chalk it up to Cody and TK being marks for old school NWA & WCW, and rushing easy programming (a title tournament!) during the pandemic lockdown period, but, man, what a bad choice. 

Just now, Technico Support said:

Exactly.  Why name a title after something outside your control, like the TV network you're on?  Shit, Smackdown is on its 4th or 5th network, right? 

Chalk it up to Cody and TK being marks for old school NWA & WCW, and rushing easy programming (a title tournament!) during the pandemic lockdown period, but, man, what a bad choice. 

I thought the naming of the TNT Championship had to do with TNT or Warner chiming in and wanting that name.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I thought the naming of the TNT Championship had to do with TNT or Warner chiming in and wanting that name.

TK did a You Tube podcast with Bischoff and Conrad awhile back to hype up an AEW PPV. He said it was all his idea. He could be spinning it, but he seemed genuine. Said it was an homage to tv titles but with a spin to really push the TNT partnership. Then he kinda seemed like he was begging for validation from Bischoff by asking his opinion of it. So I'm thinking 100% a TK idea. Good in theory, but not practical in execution.

8 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

TK did a You Tube podcast with Bischoff and Conrad awhile back to hype up an AEW PPV. He said it was all his idea. He could be spinning it, but he seemed genuine. Said it was an homage to tv titles but with a spin to really push the TNT partnership. Then he kinda seemed like he was begging for validation from Bischoff by asking his opinion of it. So I'm thinking 100% a TK idea. Good in theory, but not practical in execution.

Ah ok. Well, at the very least, unless USA is your TV partner, never think that your network is your buddy and go out of your way like naming a title after the channel to show your appreciation for them.

• Like 1

Way too many people focusing on the name of the title. 

Reading the recap of Khan's appearance on Busted Open Radio and he did clarify that the four quarterly super cards will be on TNT. Seemed to be some confusion that AEW content was gonna exclusively be on TBS. 

• Like 1

They branded TBS as the comedy network for a long time. They tried a bunch of scripted comedy shows that all failed. They were mainly showing Big Bang Theory reruns until prime time. TNT has always had basketball and was marketed as the drama network. So more prestige than just being a comedy channel.

But to me, even with the branding, they're essentially the same. It's really just the difference between drama movies, NBA, & Snowpiercer vs comedy movies, Big Bang Theory, & The Misery Index.

I always thought TBS was a little more low rent. So TNT would be like going to your nice, local, non-Kroger non-Walmart non-Meijer grocery store (here it would be Martin's, or in CA it would be Gelman's?) and TBS would be like going to Aldi.

Or, well, maybe TNT would be Trader Joes and TBS would be Aldi. Both owned by the same company, I think, and there's nothing wrong with Aldi, it's just, you know, cheaper in a couple different ways, the produce may be kinda busted, and who knows what quality the meat is.

• Haha 1

Khan said Dynamite could had been changed to 3 hours because of WarnerMedia asking him, but he suggested Rampage instead. Khan doesn't want 3 hour weekly shows. Rampage is also a major show and not secondary.

• Like 4

I know it’s been brought up many, many times before but there are so, so many Pages and Cages in this company and now they go and add Rampage.

We could now see Ethan Page & Brian Cage vs. Hangman Page & Christian Cage accompanied by Diamond Dallas Page inside a steel cage, in a match for the ages, on Rampage. 

Is TK booking solely based on that one Smashing Pumpkins song?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Log said:

NCAA basketball tourney games don't happen on Wednesdays.  They normally do Thurs-Sun on the first two weeks (this year, they did Fri-Mon, and I don't know if that's permanent) and then Sat/Mon for the Final Four/Finals.

There might be one preemption a year. The first four games are usually Tuesday and Wednesday before the start of the NCAA tournament. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

there's no way it isn't at least a little disappointing.

Shit, I don't see it as disappointing at all. They're in the exact same place UFC was in ten years ago leaving Spike and signing with Fox. Thing is that took UFC what? Twenty years of existence to do and ten years under the Zuffa regime. AEW is WAY WAY ahead of schedule. 

Fox used UFC to basically grow FS1 and to a lesser extent FS2. After the first couple of years, people saw the Fox deal as disappointing because Fox wasn't putting UFC up on this pedestal and making it destination TV. However, that's what comes with a niche sport (or pretend sport in the case of AEW) that's way more popular than expected in this climate. Without UFC, FS1 wouldn't have been jackshit. It was the only consistent performer on FS1 really. It wasn't the numbers for the 4 or 5 main Fox shows that got UFC this current deal with ESPN that's worth an obscene amount of money. It was the fact they have the ability to do 3 or 4 mega PPVs (thanks to getting hot at the right time a few years back) and more importantly really, a steady audience that will tune in for even the most average and bland shows. That's all that matters.

Hell, that's what AEW is doing now on TNT. TNT isn't exactly replete with these hit shows. There is no Dick Wolf produced type show doing 5 or 6 million viewers every week on TNT. It's sports or bust with TNT. TBS ain't that much different. So they're getting MORE money to do what what they've been doing, which is consistently pull good numbers. The company has been around for two years. Hard to find a downside to that. Three to five years from now, that's when we will have a better estimation of where they could go. Right now? This is all gravy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1