DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

When things go back to house shows, it will be interesting how they are taping these 4 shows?   I would assume Dynamite and Rampage will be in different locations.   If they do Elevation tapings on one show and Dark tapings on another show then they will need to shorten those shows.   While it was cool to see more than one dark match a show, seeing almost 90 minute show after sitting through a Dynamite taping was excessive. 

I hope they start taping on the road more just so we get some different looks arena wise. Plus I wish they would cut back on the length of the youtube shows. 2+ hours on youtube is just too much

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

It took me some googling to figure out that you were not talking about the NE indy guy.

And here I thought it was really nice that Insane Dragon had a media career.

My second guess was going to be Izzy Stradlin.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alstein said:

I was saying run a show  on the road in a small building with their crew, use local indy guys as the jobbers, then have competitive matches with the indy guys on the indy show.

You still have the same issues. Who is going to pay to see a bunch Austin Gunn squash matches? This isn't even a knock on any specific wrestler, or AEW. Even red hot WWE in 2000 would have a hard time selling tickets to stand alone tapings of Jacked & Metal with Papi Chulo squash matches. Only the hardest of the hardcore fans would care to pay to see live events that have no meaning. No stories. No titles. Just enhancement matches. Not to mention you're spending the money to fly all these guys to a new city, renting another building, paying all your crew to setup and film... all for something that you can just tape before or after the live TV shows. It's redundant and will lose money.

Is it worth $50,000+ in added plane tickets, $20,000 in per hour pay for the ring crew / production staff, & whatever it costs to rent whatever buildings you have in mind? No. They won't make back the $75,000+ they invest into the cost of the taping. I get that a lot of fans jut think like fans and talk about ideas they would personally like to see. But sometimes you gotta consider the business factors of if it makes sense. And this just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Ethan Page's last vlog before his most recent had a part towards the end where it was around midnight and they were just about to start filming Dark.

Yeah they used to film that stuff until like 2 or 3am but I believe some of the production crew eventually spoke up & in recent times they've taped more earlier in the day. You can see the difference watching Dark/Elevation these days compared to a couple months ago. Remember production has an early call time usually to get everything set up & ready to go when the "stars" are ready to perform so if they have to be there at 11am, the last thing you want is to still be working at 3am.

The announcers do the commentary live so it really makes you appreciate a guy like Excalibur who will do the live show, his 2 hours-ish of Dark, be on the headset to help Schavonie/Wight do Elevation, then repeat that entire process immediatly. Super underappreciated part of the company (maybe not internally but definitely by fans).

• Like 1

The ‘Impact gimmick’ TK promo calling out Nick Khan linked on the first page of the Dynamite thread was so bizarre. That’s the first time he’s expanded out of Impact ‘ads’ right? It’s like he was drunk/high and just had to get it out there, and who’d say no to the boss? Or is this his interpretation of the friendly rivalry stuff that HHH was pulling with the ‘marathon not a sprint’ comments?

47 minutes ago, Custos said:

The ‘Impact gimmick’ TK promo calling out Nick Khan linked on the first page of the Dynamite thread was so bizarre. That’s the first time he’s expanded out of Impact ‘ads’ right? It’s like he was drunk/high and just had to get it out there, and who’d say no to the boss? Or is this his interpretation of the friendly rivalry stuff that HHH was pulling with the ‘marathon not a sprint’ comments?

It was a "Seize the news Agenda" move. The whole WWE/NJPW deal talks were dominating the narrative, then he did that promo, and afterwards everyone was talking about AEW.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Darby had to stand between Cody and Kenny~! 

They should have been arranged by ascending height! The memes alone would have been worth it.

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The wrestling buddies look kind of small. Also, the faces are flat. No raised noses.

Yeah, I had a Warrior one as a kid and even rediscovering it as a teenager I remember it being bigger than these. The ones from 30 years ago would have spanned Darby's whole torso.

I really like the four they picked for those. In terms of card placement one is obviously not like the others but Luchasaurus is super kid-friendly so it makes sense. 

Come to think of it, what percentage of AEW fans are children, say, 12 and under? While their product is virtually sexless it's still pretty profane and way more violent than WWE. I wonder if, way down the line, AEW uses Dark and Elevation like the old WWF Jakked/Metal. While those had identical matches taped for them, the former had full-on Attitude Era presentation while the latter was toned down to be able to air on Saturday mornings. 

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Come to think of it, what percentage of AEW fans are children, say, 12 and under? While their product is virtually sexless it's still pretty profane and way more violent than WWE. I wonder if, way down the line, AEW uses Dark and Elevation like the old WWF Jakked/Metal. While those had identical matches taped for them, the former had full-on Attitude Era presentation while the latter was toned down to be able to air on Saturday mornings. 

I've thought for a while that AEW target audience needs to be those kids who dress up like Orange Cassidy and Thunder Rosa on social media not trying to recapture the lost Attitude era/WCW/ECW fans. Make new ones.

Those dark taping remind me of those four hour superstars tapings of yesteryear

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I've thought for a while that AEW target audience needs to be those kids who dress up like Orange Cassidy and Thunder Rosa on social media not trying to recapture the lost Attitude era/WCW/ECW fans. Make new ones.

Those dark taping remind me of those four hour superstars tapings of yesteryear

I agree entirely, Orange and Darby were way over with kids pre-pandemic, it would be silly not to capitalize

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I agree entirely, Orange and Darby were way over with kids pre-pandemic, it would be silly not to capitalize

There were many visible kids at the PPV last night, to follow up on this. They were obviously dwarfed by all the adult men who likely make up 90-95% of their fan base but children appeared enough to give me some hope for the future.

• Like 2