DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

On 5/18/2021 at 10:12 PM, EVA said:

This was advertised, but I just scanned through the show and didn’t see the match anywhere.  Am I blind?  Insane?

On 5/19/2021 at 9:43 AM, colonial said:

No, a Ren Narita match was announced, as was one with Danny Limelight. Neither aired.

the Ren Narita match vs Royce Isaacs is now being advertised for next week's Elevation instead. 

Along with the debut of Rocky Romero:

E17zXQxX0AQ5ge_?format=jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Thanks. Seems that site got it from Webster's 1828 dictionary of American English, where it was defined as "A drugget manufactured in Burgundy, with thread spun thick, and of coarse wool." Now we can use it in rhymes!

(Though I'm dubious that it actually rhymes with "page".)

It'd be amusing if Dynamite moves to Tuesday nights to either reignite the PROMOTION WARZ or force NXT to move to another night.  Again.

It won't happen.  IRRC, the last round of MLB tv deals gave TBS a contract for a Tuesday night game beginning in 2022.

Is anything else moving to TBS?  I don't have a feeling one way or another if this is a good move for AEW, but it seems odd from a corporate standpoint.  TBS has mostly moved away from original programming and live sports.  According to Wiki, their only original series are American Dad and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.  They still have Conan O'Brien, I think, but his show either has ended or is ending shortly.  

They have an MLB contract, but that's only one game a week, I think.  Do they have any other live sports?  Nascar maybe?

Like others have said, TBS is basically the channel for syndicated sitcoms.  The wife and I still watch TBS for Friends reruns.  Seems like an odd move unless it's part of a larger change in strategy.

I'm not saying it's a bad move.  I don't know enough about the industry to have an opinion one way or the other.  Ultimately, I doubt it affects AEW's popularity much, so the only real questions are how much the rights are worth to AT&T WarnerMedia (or whoever owns the channel this week) and whether or not they can pull in enough ad revenue to merit the investment.

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

TBS has mostly moved away from original programming and live sports.  According to Wiki, their only original series are American Dad and Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.  They still have Conan O'Brien, I think, but his show either has ended or is ending shortly.  

Chad, The Last OG and Miracle Workers are still at TBS. Along with a handful of gameshow types, including Wipeout - one of the hosts is John Cena.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

including Wipeout - one of the hosts is John Cena.

Any sort of crossover between Wipeout and AEW, even the most superficial, would be so amazing...if only for the panic it would cause Vince & Co lol.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:48 AM, Technico Support said:

Have Cody regain the TNT title and keep him on Rampage and off the main show.  Everything he's involved with on Dynamite feels like he's in his own separate universe anyway, so just let him have the Friday show to do what he wants.  Feuds against friendly countries, big dumb trucks, Star Trek outfits, big pyro and scared dogs, DC comics references that don't land, thinly-veiled WWE disses, a shrine to Dusty right on the stage, token angles to give Brandi something to do, Cody wrestling or teaming with celebrities, all that.  It'll be amazing.

I actually had the thought that the Nightmare family vs Factory feud would be a great anchor program for a second show. Keep the main programs  on Dynamite and let blue chip talent work with veterans.

• Like 2

Did Schiavone really say Ashley D'Amboise started her career in April? She's working Elevation having been in the business ONE month?

6 hours ago, The Natural said:
Tay Conti is so likeable. A favourite of mine.

And then she’ll judo toss you until your arm comes out of it’s socket. Everything you could ask for, really.

Thought both of the NJPW-repped matches were good stuff, with the feel good reunion to top it off. Always felt Narita was bland even for a young lion, lacking the edge of Uemura or the Andre-fro and attitude of Tsuji but he’s coming into his own.

Johnson and Garcia was solid while it lasted. I thought Scorpio’s Crash Holly like transition into the heel hook was pretty sweet, hadn’t seen that before. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, J.T. said:

ROPPONGI VICE REUNION~!  HOLY SHIT~~!

AEW is the best fed.

That theme's still stuck in my head because is that some good shit.  Was delighted to see the reunion plus Rocky making new friends.  If you're interested he did some things with them on BTE as well.

I also haven't seen Ren Narita in quite awhile but thought he looked great.  That suplex was a thing of beauty and I'm curious to see where he goes from here.

• Like 2

Justin Roberts introducing J D Drake, and he only just remembered in time to say North Carolina in his normal announcer voice, rather than his Kenny hypeboy voice.

Daniel Garcia got killed in both his AEW matches. First Janela murderlized him with the snap Death Valley Driver, and then Lee Johnson did a dropkick, flipped through and ended up landing in a shoot kneedrop right on his lip. It looked like Garcia was wearing lipstick, but it was blood.

• Like 1

Listening to the kerfluffle with Ross and Omega and, man, really time to put Ross out to pasture. It's not that he doesn't have the right to his opinion but you really gotta think that deep down he still believes you don't "make it" til you make the WWE and the rest of these guys are just slumming around the minor leagues. 

• Like 1

Here's the quotes from JR reported by comicbook.com

Ross said on his Grillin JR podcast (h/t Wrestling Inc), "If he's not, of course it's subjective and only my opinion, there's a lot of good ones out there right now. I don't think anybody is any better than Randy Orton in the wrestling business. Of course that's so subjective. I love Randy's work, although I don't watch it regularly enough to make a great evaluation, in the last several months that I have tuned in to watch some of Randy's segments, he doesn't disappoint. No matter how the creative is packaged to him, he doesn't disappoint.

"I'm sure there's Kenny Omega fans out there that would say Omega is the best wrestler in the world," Ross said. "Some will, and they got the right to their opinion and I'm not going to argue it. Omega is really frickin' good. In any event, it's a good time to be a fan. A lot of great talent out there, improving their game, adapting and adding things."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would say the same about Kenny, so I guess we can agree that JR is correct that it's subjective?

Now ?to be fairrrrrr ?, being the lead announcer for a company changes things and there is no way in hell Vince would let Corey Graves go on his podcast and say that Orange Cassidy is the best wrestler in the world. But this is the double edged sword of AEW's permissive culture where you aren't under the thumb of the promoter, sometimes they are going to say stuff that doesn't reflect your promotional vision.

Edited by Goodear