DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

49 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

There might be one preemption a year. The first four games are usually Tuesday and Wednesday before the start of the NCAA tournament. 

Even then, just air it afterward. That's a hell of a strong lead-in. Throw it up on YouTube or re-run it on whatever channel isn't airing any game at the moment, like TruTV or something on late Sat afternoon

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

We could now see Ethan Page & Brian Cage vs. Hangman Page & Christian Cage accompanied by Diamond Dallas Page inside a steel cage, in a match for the ages, on Rampage. 

This was a rollercoaster and I thank you for it.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Do people actually differentiate TNT and TBS that much? Even when I had cable they always came off as more or less the same channel.

In my mind, I view them like this: TNT is NBA, TBS is MLB (mostly Braves) and they both have a bunch of dumb shows I don’t watch. 

If they were moved to Trutv that would be concerning but this seems like a lateral move.

• Sad 1

Time will ultimately tell if this was a good move or not. It still feels like a demotion. That said, I guess the good news is that AEW is getting paid eight figures for this programming. So one would assume they will be operating at a profit or at least be in the black with those funds. Unless they're just really bad at managing their money. I mean with Tony Khan just constantly buying song rights, I dunno.

• Like 1

Assorted thoughts from what I caught of this week’s Dark shows.

Why have Private Party started wrestling in dress clothes? It’s a pet hate of mine, it’s just one of those things that screams ‘this is fake’. Their previous gear was a great douche heel look as well (albeit unintentional as they were wearing it as faces).

Speaking of gear, the jobber team that Scorp & Page beat should really change their gear as they totally look like a knock-off Street Profits.

Daniel Garcia looked like he has potential but needs some work. His stuff all looked good but he had some really goofy selling and mannerisms, which I think stood out more as he has a very bland serious wrestler look.

Is that Janela DVD one of those death moves that is actually relatively safe (like is Janela actually taking most of the impact and protecting their neck) or is it a broken neck waiting to happen?

I’ve been more impressed with Cage recently. He seems to be working a lot smarter. He still got plenty of shit in against Mike Sydal, but he was mostly playing with him and didn’t give him any kickouts. He got the balance right of showing some vulnerability (mainly through his own cockiness) and letting the undercard guy get some hope spots in while still looking dominant, rather than making himself look ineffective and turning it into a my turn/your turn kickout contest. Also threw in a new (for AEW) finisher, which means he can build a big near fall into bigger matches without killing off the drill claw. Although the move itself is overly convoluted shit.

Summary of things from the new WON

First this blurb that I am not trying to summerize

As far as what this all means, the combination of the new show, and the quarterly specials will increase the company’s television rights fees significantly, which is the key revenue driver of the company.

The move from TNT to TBS is largely on paper a lateral move. Both channels have similar ratings. TNT is considered a higher prestige station due to the NBA and movies, but if you factor out the NBA, TBS actually draws higher numbers for regular programming both overall and in 18-49. TBS is in slightly more homes but that difference is negligible. As a general rule, AEW will be getting better lead-ins on TBS. TNT as a general rule gets higher ad rates because of the prestige of the NBA, and another significant revenue source of AEW is that it gets a split of ad revenue, unlike WWE, from its original deal, although the new deal would be far more lucrative overall to compensate if that ad revenue drops slightly.

- Some weeks they will tape everything on Wednesdays. Some weeks they will split between Wed and Friday

- The belief is there will be fewer preemptions on TBS

- Back in Jan 2020, when working on the extension, TNT actually asked that AEW run 3 hours on Wed. Tony Khan and Kevin Reilly negotiated the 10 PM Friday instead. That was always going to be the time slot of the 2nd show. If the pandemic didn't happen, Meltzer's notes that the WWE would have added a third SDL hour on FS1 (FOX's schedule doesn't allow for a third hour). Now, he doesn't expect that to happen but he does expect a "reaction" based on "history"

- Tony Khan "“My plan is to keep that TNT title but I have a different Turner idea I think is cool.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it really that hard to just call it the Turner championship?  This way whether it's for Dynamite or the specials on TNT they're fine either way.  You don't even really need to change the design much since the side plates and such are still accurate.

On 5/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

We could now see Ethan Page & Brian Cage vs. Hangman Page & Christian Cage accompanied by Diamond Dallas Page inside a steel cage, in a match for the ages, on Rampage. 

Not to presage the backstage, but it would assuage no outrage to page Nic Gage. A play to engage the unaged hematophage, so to say, lest the wages of our Cages and Pages be beige.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 5

That's enough rhyming I mean it!

Spoiler

Words and phrases that rhyme with page:   (144 results)

1 syllable:
-phage, age, bauge, brage, cage, drage, flage, frage, fuage, gage, gaige, gauge, grage, hage, kage, klage, krage, lage, paage, paige, phage, plage, plauge, rage, sage, schlage, schrage, stage, suage, swage, trage, traje, wage, wrage

2 syllables:
apajh, assuage, backstage, beaucage, bethpage, black sage, blue sage, bone age, broad gauge, bronze age, bruitage, chevage, cuinage, degage, downstage, encaje, engage, enrage, gray sage, ice age, incage, left stage, marraige, menage, misgauge, mnage, nightstage, offstage, of age, old age, onstage, osage, outrage, rain gauge, rampage, restage, rib cage, right stage, sand sage, space age, stone age, strain gauge, subpage, suppage, take stage, teenage, thrust stage, upstage, white sage, wild sage, wind gauge, wood sage

3 syllables:
anal stage, batting cage, clary sage, come of age, common sage, disengage, drinking age, fuel gauge, golden age, iron age, iron cage, landing stage, legal age, littlepage, living wage, macrophage, mealy sage, mental age, microage, middle age, narrow gauge, oral stage, outdoor stage, pitcher sage, prairie sage, pressure gauge, purple sage, repechage, silver age, silver sage, squirrel cage, standard gauge, surface gauge, take the stage, under-age, vacuum gauge, voting age, water gage, water gauge, wire gauge, wormwood sage

Anyone want a peanut?

Edited by Goodear
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Goodear said:

That's enough rhyming I mean it!

Reveal hidden contents

Words and phrases that rhyme with page:   (144 results)

1 syllable:
-phage, age, bauge, brage, cage, drage, flage, frage, fuage, gage, gaige, gauge, grage, hage, kage, klage, krage, lage, paage, paige, phage, plage, plauge, rage, sage, schlage, schrage, stage, suage, swage, trage, traje, wage, wrage

2 syllables:
apajh, assuage, backstage, beaucage, bethpage, black sage, blue sage, bone age, broad gauge, bronze age, bruitage, chevage, cuinage, degage, downstage, encaje, engage, enrage, gray sage, ice age, incage, left stage, marraige, menage, misgauge, mnage, nightstage, offstage, of age, old age, onstage, osage, outrage, rain gauge, rampage, restage, rib cage, right stage, sand sage, space age, stone age, strain gauge, subpage, suppage, take stage, teenage, thrust stage, upstage, white sage, wild sage, wind gauge, wood sage

3 syllables:
anal stage, batting cage, clary sage, come of age, common sage, disengage, drinking age, fuel gauge, golden age, iron age, iron cage, landing stage, legal age, littlepage, living wage, macrophage, mealy sage, mental age, microage, middle age, narrow gauge, oral stage, outdoor stage, pitcher sage, prairie sage, pressure gauge, purple sage, repechage, silver age, silver sage, squirrel cage, standard gauge, surface gauge, take the stage, under-age, vacuum gauge, voting age, water gage, water gauge, wire gauge, wormwood sage

Anyone want a peanut?

Spoiler

Words and phrases that rhyme with killjoy:   (3 results)

2 syllables:
bill joy, kill-joy, kill joy

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

Bauge is a place in France. Brage is apparently a Norse god and also an oil field. Schrage is, it seems, a German conveyer belt manufacturing company. Good luck working those into your rhyming AEW discussion!

Though, if @John E. Dynamite can successfully work "hematophage" in...

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1