DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

Been a while since anyone made a bold, outlandish prediction, so here you go: I predict Chris Jericho will not appear on an AEW show until they have a full live audience.

Also, if you don't watch the Sammy Guevara vlog, there was a bit where he and Fuego were hanging out with Cody on top of the cage and doing a comedy riff about how Fuego will probably get signed by NXT soon. And Cody brought up those "Property Of" shirts that all the new signees get, and how disheartening it must be that the first thing the company does is tell you that you're Property.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Been a while since anyone made a bold, outlandish prediction, so here you go: I predict Chris Jericho will not appear on an AEW show until they have a full live audience.

Also, if you don't watch the Sammy Guevara vlog, there was a bit where he and Fuego were hanging out with Cody on top of the cage and doing a comedy riff about how Fuego will probably get signed by NXT soon. And Cody brought up those "Property Of" shirts that all the new signees get, and how disheartening it must be that the first thing the company does is tell you that you're Property.

Aren't the upcoming summer shows full capacity?

The shirt is the property, not the person wearing it.  NFL teams used to do this all the time, it's a riff off that.

And yeah, Max Caster is the king of Dark.  Just so much fun watching him rip into jobbers.  Just wish he and Bowens would rip off some MX doubleteams.

Edited by alstein

1 hour ago, alstein said:

The shirt is the property, not the person wearing it.  NFL teams used to do this all the time, it's a riff off that.

So they're not actually giving you the shirt, they're just lending it to you?

• Haha 1

Caster’s rap has been getting the attention but I liked the Acclaimed vs Janela/Kiss match on Dark, and it feels like you can really seeing the Acclaimed getting better. Thought it was nicely worked around Janela’s leg. The execution wasn’t always there but some good ideas. Sonny is partly dreadful, partly decent. Shoehorning the splits into half his offence looks consistently bad, but the rest of his stuff looked pretty good here.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 8:43 AM, DangerMark said:

I liked that promo but come on Max Caster. A better ass than Sonny Kiss? As a wise man once said: now you're just lying to the people.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, Technico Support said:

Don't sleep on "You fell off faster than when you wrestled Zandig"

Everyone is sleeping on Janella saying "That rap was good, but Enzo is better"

• Haha 2

On 5/11/2021 at 8:26 PM, Jiji said:

Why were people ripping on Max Caster when they broke into the promotion? Yeah, not all of his shit hits but most are pretty funny and/or clever. 

When he first appeared on Dynamite I thought his gimmick was that he was a bad rapper.

• Sad 1

Caster has been very, very good from day 1: I’ve said since his first appearance that Caster/Bowen’s have clear N.A.O ability to resonate as comedic duo on mic with good old school heel approach in ring. They keep it nice and simple, less emphasis on acrobatics, which works for them. I think he’s probably relaxed into the role a bit which shows. He seems very switched on; genuinely seems like an intelligent guy and he’s quite a unique talent. I don’t quite know how they transition, but at some point it would be good to see AEW cultivate an active tag-belt gauntlet whereby the titles are changing fairly frequently between a handful of teams as in early 00s WWF. They have that depth of young teams, and so far the belts have followed with quite linear feuds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

When he first appeared on Dynamite I thought his gimmick was that he was a bad rapper.

Very first time I saw him (before being in the tag team, and when he still had a mustache) I remember being very intrigued by his attire, I figured he'd be a crooner or some kind of singer, always been big on him since the first time I saw him.

I like Caster enough to the point where if he has an LP or something I would consider getting it.  It sounds like he's always been super talented and driven so would be interesting to see how that would sound.  Closest we get to that aside from the pre-match stuff is when they would show music videos on Dark.  I may be white and out of touch but they sounded pretty darn good to me.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like Caster enough to the point where if he has an LP or something I would consider getting it.  It sounds like he's always been super talented and driven so would be interesting to see how that would sound.  Closest we get to that aside from the pre-match stuff is when they would show music videos on Dark.  I may be white and out of touch but they sounded pretty darn good to me.

Good timing.

• Thanks 1

Eeeeeeexcelent....  I'm listening to it now.  Man, that is some weirdly good timing.  Hmm...maybe I should hit the lottery today.

EDIT:  Okay, so for one it's a pretty quick listen as it was a mix of stuff he did on Dark and a few originals.  The Dark stuff is still nice though the original stuff allows him to show more of what he can do.  I'm not a rap fan so I'll leave it to others talks about how good he really is.  But as far as wrestlers rapping especially when referencing wrestling in everything I thought it was pretty good.  I wouldn't mind another one where it's far less wrestling references but it's a good start.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

I'm really into hip-hop so I'll listen to it later today.

In other news - the same website that said Brodie Lee died of COVID and Amanda and AEW are covering it up is now saying that some of the EVPs aren't and haven't been talking to each other and as a result of that, someone who could be a difference maker for the company is avoiding going there because they've heard about the fighting and it makes them hesitant.

Keller said, “There’s gonna a book written someday by some of these EVP’s or someone else closely observing and we’re gonna learn about a lot of dysfunction. We’re gonna learn what a very short honeymoon period there was between certain key people in the company, who aren’t even talking to each other anymore. I think we’re gonna find that out. I know there are people in other wrestling companies saying The Bucks and Cody and Kenny it’s not gonna be long at all before they want to have nothing to do with each other. The honeymoon period is going to be short. It seems like it is. It seems like there’s some disengagement and people going off into their own that is showing up in certain ways.”

Powell said, “if that is not happening, they need to clear up that misconception. I do think it’s happening.” He continued, “there’s a would-be difference maker who could go there that has that opinion that there’s all this in-fighting and this person for that reason is hesitant to go there.”

I'm assuming that the "difference maker" is Daniel Bryan, since I can't see Andrade or Samoa Joe or whoever being a game changer for them.

But either way, I call bullshit simply because Keller allowed that libelous article to stay up on his website for far too long. Until Meltzer or SRS says something to this effect, I don't trust it, or Wade Keller.

• Like 2

Not buying that at all. Regardless of the extent to which the EVP's aren't communicating, it has shown no impact on the company's general bias of letting the talent (especially the veteran talent) run with their own creative. Why would Daniel Bryan give two shits if Cody and Matt have beef, so long as he gets to do his thing?

• Like 2

Guys, Daniel Bryan has worked for WWE for over a decade.   Somehow I don't think he has any issues working in a toxic backstage environment.

Also, that kind of bullshit journalism is amazing.  I am in love with this part:

Powell said, “if that is not happening, they need to clear up that misconception. 

So to reiterate: make up a story out of speculation that's been going around.  Then, instead of fully owning the story you wrote, backpeddle and put the onus on the target of the story to say it's not true.  Imagine your local newspaper doing that.  "Some say the mayor is taking millions in bribes from the local organized crime syndicate.  If that's not happening, then the mayor needs to clear up that misconception!"  Sweet merciful Christ.

This is why wrestling journalism (hahahahahahahaaa) is going to truly go to shit once Dave goes off to that great preacher bench in the sky.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Looks like just some speculation by Keller and Powell that they leave open enough for the EVPs to "clear up," as if anyone's owed that. I could have pulled the same assumptions out of my ass, and they do this for a living. 

I want the actual hot goss. Get back to me when the Meltz wall of silence breaks and we can get the real drama. 

• Like 1

You guys do know that there's no beef with Matt/Nick/Kenny and Cody, right? All that is out there is idle speculation all because Cody hasn't been on BTE, as if that matters. As easily as you could say that Cody isn't on BTE because there's beef between him and the other EVPs, you could say Cody isn't on BTE because he wants to let it be its own thing and not have people speculating if something he's involved with on BTE will be a storyline on Dynamite.

Not only that, but any reputable that has taken a look at the issue has said there's nothing there via the talent at AEW saying there's nothing there. These second rate newz websites wind up fucking shit up for everyone.

• Like 2

Coming at idle speculation with idle speculation and arriving at a place where you "know" there's no beef is certainly a move. 

When one of the most reputable sources out there with the greatest amount of access has proven time and again they have no problem carrying this company's water and keeping their mouth shut in a way they wouldn't in other instances, forgive us if we're not all so eager to believe there's "nothing there" when it comes to discontent between these people.

Regardless, they'd be wise to use people's ever-increasing suspicion that these people can't stand one another to put something convincing in the ring. Nothing else they could book at the moment would be as good as that. 

39 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

So to reiterate: make up a story out of speculation that's been going around.  Then, instead of fully owning the story you wrote, backpeddle and put the onus on the target of the story to say it's not true.  Imagine your local newspaper doing that.  "Some say the mayor is taking millions in bribes from the local organized crime syndicate.  If that's not happening, then the mayor needs to clear up that misconception!"  Sweet merciful Christ.

This is why wrestling journalism (hahahahahahahaaa) is going to truly go to shit once Dave goes off to that great preacher bench in the sky.

Some of the biggest news outlets in the world do this constantly. "X is being attacked/criticized/called-into-question over Y." Oh, really? Who's doing the criticizing? You or someone who works closely with your organization? 

I want scoops from these people. If I need assholes with opinions popping off, I can look in the mirror and find a surplus of that. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1