DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

The report said no surgery, just rest and not wrestling, so it sounds like a less devastating then you'd imagine neck injury.

• Like 1

I am beginning to have an issue with Kingston's promos. His tone of voice, inflections and even the way he moves his mouth/chin really really really reminds me of Kevin Hart. It's all I can think about when he talks.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Starks tweeted crediting DDP Yoga for his flexibility and for why the injury wasn't "worse"

*frantically goes on a search to find DDP Yoga DVDs*  Man, I know I have them around here somewhere...

But seriously while it's been a while since I used it that really does work wonders even if it's just regular yoga with a gimmick.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes, and then Britt gets the deciding win in their feud. She's won once, and so has Rosa. The latter's win might not count for ranking placement, but it matters within the context of their feud. Plus that's something that heel Britt can use in promos (which she already has, but still). It doesn't count, it was unsanctioned, you never beat me, etc. The actual blow-off would be the title match, where Rosa loses.

Plus who really came out of that match looking better? I don't recall the internet buzzing about Thunder Rosa quite as much as it was Britt Baker the next day and for days to follow.

I think before the match we all new Thunder Rosa was great..after the match we realized Britt was great too. I full expect after Brit wins the title for Rosa to be like "I just beat your ass" and Britt to be like "didn't count"

• Like 1

So while some look for a good cry by watching tearjerker movies apparently the wrestling fan in me looks for wrestler tributes instead.

It started on a slow work day today when I realized I had yet to listen to the New Day and Jericho pods doing tributes to Mr. Brodie Lee.  When they came out I was crying so damn much at the time that I needed to just take a break for a bit.  Well here I am 5 months later checking them out and it really sticks out how beloved he is across the board.  There were similar stories but it's still amazing just how many people were positively affected by knowing him.

And to finish things up I saw the AEW tribute show as well.  It's almost weird watching it back because I didn't know at the time that according to Amanda this was his funeral.  So having that in mind I really have a hard time thinking of a better way to pay tribute to Brodie than what they did.  It featured AEW wrestlers but WWE wrestlers were hyping it up so much and their pictures were in the tribute video so it really did feel like a coming together moment.  It was all really, really sweet to watch and think back on.  What encapsulated things quite nicely along with what people said was the 6-man tag featuring Page and Silver/Reynolds.  It was a mix of damn good wrestling, laughs and tears all rolled up into one.  It had the awesomeness of Redbeard making an appearance, -1 with the cane shot and Silver doing the discus.  Then the bell rings and the post-match had me in tears all over again.

So yeah that's about it.  I know we'll discuss Dark or something soon but while I'm still all up in my feelings figured to get this out there.  If you didn't check the podcasts they're both really damn good.

EDIT:  Apparently getting all up in my feelings leads to me typing up a mess of a post.  But the tl;dr of it is while it took awhile I'm glad I checked out the Brodie tribute podcasts.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Oh my goodness that Max Caster rap had me in stitches.  I'm still making my way through Dark but I adore this so damn much. 

If anyone missed it:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Love the pairing of Julia Hart with the Blondes. I can really see that working.

Yeah, that just made immediate sense to me. I don't know if she's actually doing a cheerleader gimmick, but she's always seemed kind of cheerleadery. (It's a word.)

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Why were people ripping on Max Caster when they broke into the promotion? Yeah, not all of his shit hits but most are pretty funny and/or clever. 

He wasn't quite ready for primetime (at least on the mic) in his early Dynamite appearances, though you could see some potential (and just hoped that it wasn't a bad John Cena tribute act). However, he's really sharpened that part of his game up, and I'd guess that it will not be real long before the Acclaimed are swapping entrance tunnels.

As soon as I heard Julia Hart announced I could only think of one thing - Intergender 6 Person Tag Team Titles!  Then again there is a trio of babyface women together for no reason at all.  

Varsity Blondes and Julia Hart was about as random a pairing as Jon Cruz coming out with a dressed up Skyler Moore...and whoever Cruz was teaming with on Dark that night.  

It just made zero sense.  

Then I stumbled onto the news that Cruz and Moore are MARRIED???  

It just made zero sense...but good work punching above your weight, Mr. Serpentico!  

I’ve seen backstage shots of the couple - she has size, he most certainly does not.  

I don’t know if I like JD Drake’s new gear.  If they wanted to get away from the dark trunks n’ Boots combo they should stay with the singlet that he wore on Dynamite against Darby AllIn.  While I enjoy the interactions within Pretty Picture they will be saddling a potential ass kicker with the comedy relief role.  The good thing about AEW is wrestlers can still put on good matches regardless of the tone of their character.  Everyone gets time to shine as a rule in Tony K’s America...n wrestling.   

Almost every match is a bit longer than it really needs to be in AEW.  Every match does not need near falls!!!  I’m surprised it hasn’t been something Cornette harps about on his podcasts.  I really don’t think the exchange of near falls needs to occur in every single match that isn’t a complete and total squash.  Some levels of talent shouldn’t be getting any near falls on the likes of Omega, Matt& Nick, FTR, Jericho, MIRO, Hager, Wardlow, Cody and a few others.  Not all these guys should be main eventing but their gimmicks imply a level of reverence by the viewer due to implied credibility from talent, strength, experience and/or a level of mystery.  

• Like 2

I dunno man, every time I’ve heard Caster rap pre-AEW it always seemed on point. Maybe it was just nerves or something at first that got to him.

I still wish this was the Shook Crew instead of randomly pairing him with Bowens, though.

A while back the Beyond Wrestling guy did a Q&A, and I asked him "Which of the people you were using in 2019 that are signed now, do you wish you'd had more time to work with?". He said that when Caster and Bowens were suddenly made into a tag team, he wondered if anyone had been looking at his notes because that had been his long term plan.

8 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Yeah, that just made immediate sense to me. I don't know if she's actually doing a cheerleader gimmick, but she's always seemed kind of cheerleadery. (It's a word.)

She's a shoot cheerleader based on commentary. Agree that the pairing just made good sense as did the letter jackets. Now they just need to add an overweight offensive linemen type and the coach.

Man, if Curt Hennig were still alive, what a great fit that'd be. GIVE ME 100, GARRISON.

35 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Man, if Curt Hennig were still alive, what a great fit that'd be. GIVE ME 100, GARRISON.

I wish we lived in a world that had "Coach" Hennig and Brian Pillman, overexuberant helicopter dad.

• Like 8

The first time Julia Hart showed up I said on (the other) Discord that she looked like a young Melissa Joan Hart. And someone immediately responded "Well, that explains it all".

You know who hasn't been seen on TV (or anywhere else) for ages? Alex Marvez. His whole roving reporter deal seems to have quietly gone away.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

The first time Julia Hart showed up I said on (the other) Discord that she looked like a young Melissa Joan Hart. And someone immediately responded "Well, that explains it all".

You know who hasn't been seen on TV (or anywhere else) for ages? Alex Marvez. His whole roving reporter deal seems to have quietly gone away.

I thought he was on TV as recently as 2 or 3 weeks ago. I think the bigger person missing is Dasha. I don't really watch Dark, so if she's on there then ignore this, but I don't remember seeing her on Dynamite in forever and she hasn't been on any BTEs since the storyline with Alex, Ortiz, and Santana ended.

Edited by Craig H

10 hours ago, AxB said:

If anyone missed it:

"Booty butt, booty butt, booty butt cheeks" is totally something my kids would chant around the house and that I would later get in trouble from my wife for encouraging it.

• Haha 4