DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

I very much agree with the general sentiment that "we don't need to see every tweet from every wrestler" on these boards, but I really like the one that @Jiji just posted, and I think you can make an argument that we all need to see this tweet from this wrestler before Wednesday night: 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 8

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
13 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I very much agree with the general sentiment that "we don't need to see every tweet from every wrestler" on these boards, but I really like the one that @Jiji just posted, and I think you can make an argument that we all need to see this one before Wednesday night: 

Kingston and Moxley tearing through the tag division as champs is going to be a joy to watch.

I said this on Reddit but that promo gave me fuckin’ goosebumps, dude. The bit about how AEW is the end of the line for him? Then fuckin’ rips his wifebeater off like he’s Hogan? Shit. Take my money. Ya’ll already had it for Double or Nothing, especially with the likelihood of ORANGE CASSIDY being in a world title match for a nationally televised promotion, but this promo is just below God tier as far as AEW ones are concerned (his debut promo is still IT, for me).

• Like 5

Kingston literally has the Midas touch. He's making the most of his chance at the big time. I'm not one of those people who thinks Kingston deserves a gold watch reign just because. But if he keeps hitting it out of the park and forces the issue, have at it. I want him to give them no choice. 

And thank god for the Bucks vs Mox/Kingston, because my wallet doesn't open for Omega vs OC. Good lord no, lol. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DEAN said:

She did that against Hikaru Shida.  Madi Wrenkowski is just freakishly flexible and sold it all crazy.

That's one of the best NXT matches ever. Narrowly missed my top 20. Think it might sneak in when I do an updated version.

2 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Kingston and Moxley tearing through the tag division as champs is going to be a joy to watch.

Indeed. Afterwards, I want Eddie Kingston to win the AEW World Championship.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Kingston literally has the Midas touch. He's making the most of his chance at the big time. I'm not one of those people who thinks Kingston deserves a gold watch reign just because. But if he keeps hitting it out of the park and forces the issue, have at it. I want him to give them no choice. 

And thank god for the Bucks vs Mox/Kingston, because my wallet doesn't open for Omega vs OC. Good lord no, lol. 

Yeah, Omega vs. OC doesn't scream main event. Thankfully there's Young Bucks vs. Mox/Kingston for the AEW World Tag Team Titles and Shida/Baker for the AEW World Women's Championship which I can see going on last. Shida is the first wrestler to hold a title for an entire year and drops it to Dr. Britt Baker, she has to be the next AEW World Women's Champion.

Edited by The Natural

He is absolutely right about the Thunder Rosa thing.  It is almost like she got punished for winning one of the talked about matches until Blood and Guts by only working on AEW version of Superstars .  The only thing from a non storyline way that you can justify it is they are worried she is still more of an NWA Power person instead of AEW

• Like 1

Corgan said she's under contract to the NWA through 2021, so... yeah, legally, she's more an NWA person than an AEW one. Meltzer backed that up, too. But there are those that won't believe either, so... I dunno.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Then why did she win?

Guess they figured since it was non-sanctioned it wouldn't hurt Britt's race to the top with the rankings.  Not saying I fully agree with it but Britt still looked incredibly strong in defeat.

And holy moly that Kingston promo was absolutely incredible.  I wasn't super sold on him and Mox against the Bucks beforehand but that promo sealed the deal for me.  He's got a helluva gift.  And speaking of Mox that was a great match against Limelight.  I know some may think it was too competitive but Danny had a nice fight from underneath vibe that I would like to see more of.

35 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Then why did she win?

Because she was the face. The face should almost always win big blow-off matches, just like 99+% of action stories end with the good guys triumphant.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Because she was the face. The face should almost always win big blow-off matches, just like 99+% of action stories end with the good guys triumphant.

Decidedly false because wrestling is a continuous narrative not a series of action movies. Here are some situations where the face should not win the blow off...

1. The heel is getting ready for the main event babyface and so he needs to be fed lower faces in preparation to gain heat.
  2. The babyface is on the way out of the company or doesn't work for the company.
  3. Your heel champion is on a roll and is drawing money. 

50 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Then why did she win?

Because the plan was always for Britt to eventually be a heel Champion, and Rosa to be the anticipated challenge she ducks and runs from?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Decidedly false because wrestling is a continuous narrative not a series of action movies. Here are some situations where the face should not win the blow off...

1. The heel is getting ready for the main event babyface and so he needs to be fed lower faces in preparation to gain heat.
  2. The babyface is on the way out of the company or doesn't work for the company.
  3. Your heel champion is on a roll and is drawing money. 

This shit happens in movie structure all the time. I hated Dustin Hoffman for YEARS because he murdered Rufio on the way to his main event showdown with Banning, who only came back so his kids could see him perform and to impress Julia Roberts. Rufio worked for that spot for years and he just got shoved aside so Banning/Pan could get one more payday.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Goodear said:

You can do that with throw-away matches. There's no reason to build a major storyline for which the audience will want a satisfying conclusion if you're just building them for a later storyline.

7 minutes ago, Goodear said:
  1. The babyface is on the way out of the company or doesn't work for the company.
  2. Your heel champion is on a roll and is drawing money. 

These are both reasonable if the company is more concerned with making money than creating a satisfying narrative. (Which, of course, pro wrestling companies traditionally are.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Because the plan was always for Britt to eventually be a heel Champion, and Rosa to be the anticipated challenge she ducks and runs from?

Yes, and then Britt gets the deciding win in their feud. She's won once, and so has Rosa. The latter's win might not count for ranking placement, but it matters within the context of their feud. Plus that's something that heel Britt can use in promos (which she already has, but still). It doesn't count, it was unsanctioned, you never beat me, etc. The actual blow-off would be the title match, where Rosa loses.

Plus who really came out of that match looking better? I don't recall the internet buzzing about Thunder Rosa quite as much as it was Britt Baker the next day and for days to follow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

Then why did she win?

Pretty standard booking device to set up a title match. Think of it like this. Owen Hart beat Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 10. Who was the first in line to get a title shot when Bret won the title later that night? Owen. Rosa "won" the feud. So now when Britt goes on to win the title, Rosa has a reason for a title shot. She got a huge definitive win in what appeared to be the feud blow off. Because of that heel Britt can dodge her and string her along, but eventually Rosa will get a shot due to the previous win. Then Britt gets the win in the final match and it means 10x more than if she just won the lights out match.

• Like 6

Ricky Starks injured, out three months with a fractured neck. That German Suplex in the Hangman match, apparently. 

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Ricky Starks injured, out three months with a fractured neck. That German Suplex in the Hangman match, apparently. 

Holy fuck. Here I was thinking like the rest of everyone else that him landing on his feet prevented any damage to his neck. Hopefully it's nothing totally major and he can avoid fusion surgery down the line.

I unfortunately saw that coming.  I know the consensus was that he escaped injury but that landing was bad news the second it happened.  Luckily it's only three months and not something that would have him out much longer.