DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

EDIT: I did a "too soon" thing so here's a different opinion

On Limelight = Gambler (fuck yes Gambler)

I'm legitimately curious how many of these year-long AEW Dark jobbers are gonna go back to their regional indies and all of a sudden command a little bit more pay + a lot more love at the merch stand. We're probably gonna see at least one major success story from somebody who got a lot of exposure on Dark, will stop being needed when the company goes back to touring, but parlays all of that into bigger things down the road.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm legitimately curious how many of these year-long AEW Dark jobbers are gonna go back to their regional indies and all of a sudden command a little bit more pay + a lot more love at the merch stand. We're probably gonna see at least one major success story from somebody who got a lot of exposure on Dark, will stop being needed when the company goes back to touring, but parlays all of that into bigger things down the road.

And god willing uses that as the basis for a “fuck them for cutting me loose” bit. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

6 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Suge D is already doing that, sort of. Although he also managed to personally trademark the name Pineapple Pete, so he can also work under that gimmick if that's what he's booked to be.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:19 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

"There should only be one successful smaller underdog at the top of the card" is a strangely limiting and unimaginative standard to have.

I don't know, his position seems pretty sensible to me. Too many guys doing the same or similar gimmicks is not a good idea.

Whether Darby is small enough by modern standards that smallness should be considered part of his gimmick is debatable, of course, but I'd argue that he is.

12 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't know, his position seems pretty sensible to me. Too many guys doing the same or similar gimmicks is not a good idea.

As if undersized muscle man and Darby are occupying the same space. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

As if undersized muscle man and Darby are occupying the same space. 

They're not, but their gimmicks are at least similar in that both work better when surrounded by guys bigger than they are.

What is up with people complaining about missing matches but then refusing to watch the Dark shows online?  Twenty years of WWE setting the “standards” for televised wrestling promotions has just killed viewers’ ability to see wrestling in any way than the WWE way.  

Is Cornette’s main gripe with Kenny Omega that he cancelled a booking for FB2008?  Omega gave fair warning but gave a bullshit excuse complete with fake pictures of a supposed injury.  It just seems like Cornette gets a gripe with someone and then he builds his brand around it long past it becoming redundant.  

I do enjoy Cornette’s advice for making shows better.  He might have illogical beefs with buzz-worthy names in wrestling but he knows what makes good wrestling.  One of his major faults pops up whenever he watches something modern day.  He has staked his reputation on his ability to draw on his experiences taking part in good wrestling for twentyish(?) years or so.  One of his major flaws lies in whenever he talks modern wrestling.  He just does a routine of hate watching shows like Dynamite where he throws his shit blanket onto almost everything in AEW through.  He clearly can’t tell what bad wrestling is at this point in his relevancy.  Cornette has honestly become the Robot Santa from Futurama.  He judges nearly everything as bad on almost every big ARW show he watches. 

“Booker of the Year” actually booked TWO (2) tag teams for the Dark Quagmire with the same name...sorta.

In recent weeks the team of Jay Lion & Midas Black plus Duke Davis & Ganon Jones were used as underneath types.  The thing is BOTH teams are called The Mane (Midas/Lion) Event, The Main (Duke/Ganon) Event.  Does he get his enhancement players alphabetically from his Rolodex?  

Coincidence or not Coach Tony K doesn’t deserve to fold the flaps on Ken the Box’s...boxes.  

@Ryan Faulconer - My main gripe with Cornette would be that he’s a pretty big hypocrite. As you say, he will rag on certain talent irrespective of what they do (I’m one who has enjoyed Omega a lot more recently; I think he’s veered more into early 00s Kurt Angle territory whereby he’s this snobbish perfectionist with a streak of petty cowardice, and he’s playing the role quite amusingly - the Nak stuff in recent episodes has been fun). Conversely, I’m not sure I’ve ever heard him say  bad word about Cody Rhodes, despite Cody having served up some absolute dirge at times. He also at times sounds a little .. thick? Felt a little bit of cringe hearing him rag on Stephanie’s reference to WWE “synthesising data” .. clearly just not being aware of the meaning of the word in that context. He certainly has some interesting points at times but yeah, he’s not at all fair-minded and very agenda driven.

Edited by A_K

30 minutes ago, Casey said:

Some of ya'lls hate boner for Khan winning Booker of the Year in a dirtsheet awards poll is really sad.

The great thing is he's probably gonna win that thing for at least the next five years. So I've got half a decade minimum of being able to pull that out as a petty insult every time he drops a steaming pile of dookie while Observer subscribers polish his knob. It's rad. Hate? Not at all. Long may he reign!

• Like 1

JC and Brian Last have compared him to Dusty booking himself as the center of the universe and shoe horning his giant entourage into everything. I love Cornette for his historical perspectives and think he has good perspectives on why things do or don't work but more and more he sounds like an old man yelling about "these kids today and their rock 'n' roll"

• Like 1

Cornette, to me, reminds me of the former players that do TV and radio for baseball now. These washed up goofs can't stop talking about how much better their sports were when they were involved, all the while deriding far better athletes for their inability to do the things that made for a successful wrestler/hitter 30 years ago. Which would be fine, if it were thirty years ago. It isn't. At the end of the day, they're all bitter old men yelling into the void about a sport that has passed them by.

• Like 5

On 5/8/2021 at 1:21 PM, DangerMark said:

There's a way to style through it where he spends the first ten minutes of the match throwing him into the crowd and mugging before getting increasingly frustrated to a time limit finish. Could argue that it makes him look like a dumbass but he could wear it maybe.

Miro can survive being done is by his own hubris.  That's how he should be losing when he does lose, either his temper or his cockiness gets him rolled up or flash finished.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Limelight's going to get a full time contract either from AEW (and I think he's one of the signed but not publicly so guys), or NJPW, where he's also been killing it on strong.  He's not going to be hurting when this is done.

As for Dark success stories- we already have them: Powerhouse Hobbs, the Acclaimed, Bear Country, Tay Conti.

• Like 2

I don't know that I'd consider any of those but maybe Bear Country a "Dark success" - within the parameters of the original discussion anyway - since everyone besides them are signed to AEW. All they need on the indie shows to command more money is the fact that they're signed to a major promotion. I mean, yeah, they probably got signed because of their Dark performances, but isn't the conversation more about the unsigned workers going back to the indies and being able to get more money based off being on AEW programming consistently?

Acts like Limelight, KiLynn King, JD Drake, Fuego, Serpentico, etc. are ones that have gotten buzz from being on Dark, and haven't gotten the "______ is All Elite" graphic. Someone like Fuego or Serpentico or KiLynn might be on a "tier 1" contract or whatever, but that might end once they go on the road again.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Some of ya'lls hate boner for Khan winning Booker of the Year in a dirtsheet awards poll is really sad.

I’m almost always facetious when I refer to AEW’s booker by anything besides Tony K.  

The WON award is just thrown back in Tony K’s face for ridiculous reasons.  Being X Winner of the Year is only for that year, theoretically.  Tony Khan’s more vocal critics act like his win is a lifetime achievement award.  If you want to take the credit from him then look at it as more of an indictment of the wrestling industry in 2020 and modern booking in general.  Booker of the Year can be   less of an award and more like a Not WWE Award that people will win on occasion partly ou of spite.  Coach Tony K might not be 2020’s Best Booker but he was the most known creative voice for a promotion that had a lot of upside - even sight unseen people would rather hope for newer different wrestling than they would vote for the mainstream professionally run organization (or MMA) that would normally win.

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Cornette, to me, reminds me of the former players that do TV and radio for baseball now. These washed up goofs can't stop talking about how much better their sports were when they were involved, all the while deriding far better athletes for their inability to do the things that made for a successful wrestler/hitter 30 years ago. Which would be fine, if it were thirty years ago. It isn't. At the end of the day, they're all bitter old men yelling into the void about a sport that has passed them by.

This is the right comparison, this is the symptom of the worst human instinct people bring with them when they argue about the entertainment in front of them. It goes so far beyond Charles Barkley saying stupid shit about teams who rest their starters or Cornette hating anything that doesn't remind him of Watts or Crockett.

The kneejerk thing that makes people feel that any new idea that emerges after your late twenties (and especially after you age beyond the "key demo") is somehow less valid than the entertainment that existed in your formative years - it's arbitrary, it's self-centered, it's dismissive, reductive, ignorant, a helpless yelp against your own mortality turned outward to a world who has their own shit to deal with. It's a (maybe the) cornerstone of socially conservative propaganda, fear-based political manipulation, predatory marketing tactics, whathefuckever.

And it generates clicks. Corny and every other talking head that wallows in the muck of false, self-serving nostalgia are only able to do so because it's a proven commodity. If you agree with them, they make money. If you disagree and click on their pages to let them know, they make money. And that's the only thing that votes people like Cornette into the office of having a considered public opinion. If you say his name, you give him power. Ignore him. And don't ever be that guy who harps about how music or movies or wrestling was so much better when you were 12-to-25 years old, because every motherfucker you're arguing with just so happens to be arguing for their same thing.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

The strange thing is that I don’t think Cornette is conservative at all outside of his wrestling opinions.  I wouldn’t be the first to admit that I have no idea what Jim Cornette is like outside of wrestling discussion.  Someone that gets as upset as he does about Kenny Omega of all triggers...a guy like that has to think that music has sucked since his formative years were over.  I’m not even positive Cornette has interests beyond being a grumpy curmudgeon.  Alll he cares about is older wrestling, defending it and religiously crapping on very specific aspects of modern wrestling....and apparently swinging(?) with his wife.

Wrestling, swinging and...hamburgers!  There are definitely a LOT worse things to occupy Jim’s later years.   

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
HAMBURGERS!!!