DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

Yeah, I think Miro is going to squash him. I know they've done this with Brodie and Cody last year already, so I would be okay if Darby doesn't take two weeks off, comes back with a terrible looking jet black dye job ("but superman! Nobody understands me!" ?), and beats Miro right away. Darby can transition to something else after taking time off to heal his arm/shoulder. I hope Miro holds the title to the point he wants to move up to the world belt. I think they've got something really, really special with Miro right now and he should be pretty much untouchable with only Page being able to beat him. I swear to God if Cody beats Miro... Going back to the Brodie/Cody booking, I think instant babyface revenge win is the lamest trope in wrestling. Page failing at the first All Out and having to work his bag off and develop in and out of the ring for two years is, conversely, my favourite kind of trope. Maybe Miro can be Darby's white whale.

If you think about it, Page is their long-term babyface superstar. He's going to win the world title at All Out unless something weird happens. He's your money guy this year and probably next year. You can start moving Darby, Jungle Boy, and those kind of babyface projects (Darby has really shone though, so he's way closer than JB) up to that level in another year or so, but the big scalps of Omega and Miro ought to go to da Hangmin imo. Am I delusional?

Man, I miss Brodie Lee. ?

• Like 7

On 5/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, Jiji said:

Will Hobbs is the man. 

I have been rendered permanently incapable of booing this man.

46 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Also, I doubt Darby is winning anyway.

Given Ethan Page's comments before the attack on Darby, I think it is also possible that Ethan and Scorpio cost Miro the match via DQ fuckery to set up Darby vs Page on a future card.

The question of whom Miro takes his frustration out on if he loses that way is anybody's guess.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

A few people have had that conversation a couple times this year, but skimming that just now to refresh my memory it's clear that general consensus tends to line up against the idea of introducing such titles or emphasizing weight classes. Maybe there's a place on the internet where the discourse trends more in that direction, but if you're thirsty for those tears then you're pretty much picking over scraps here. It really isn't an issue. It's a conversation that barely exists. Maybe you read more into it, I dunno. A lot can happen in an "or whatever." 

Maybe you were talking about other someones who are the size of Darby and Miro. I'm not expecting to see much of that kind of talk surrounding them specifically. People here seem to generally like Darby's work against a myriad of upper card acts, including a guy the size of Cage whose match with Darby was met with near universal effusive praise. Darbs doesn't seem to be getting too much side-eye in any conversations about that dreaded realism stuff. But maybe "whoever it was" will make your day and chime in with a steaming turd of a take. Here's hoping. 

Edit: I take it all back. Just saw A_K using Darby as a specific example of stretching the "limits of believability." Marko Stunt for world champ, please and thank you. 

The point was clearly lost on you. Darby's charm derives largely from his underdog, fight-against-all-odds nature; Darby plays the role perfectly (I've called for him to Main Event since the dawn of the show .. with the slight exception of Starks & a heel-Cody, practically all talent I'd personally want to see the show built around in their appropriate role have received such, which is fun ..), but that charm is diminished if played out among multiple other smaller acts. The laws of diminishing returns. Especially when the talent around whom this topic originated among you specifically is several inches down on Rey Mysterio, never mind Darby Allin. There should be only "one" Darby in the 'Darby role' to receive maximum effect in the senior-stakes at the top of the card. As you were.

Edited by A_K

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have been rendered permanently incapable of booing this man.

Given Ethan Page's comments before the attack on Darby, I think it is also possible that Ethan and Scorpio cost Miro the match via DQ fuckery to set up Darby vs Page on a future card.

The question of whom Miro takes his frustration out on if he loses that way is anybody's guess.

I agree with the thinking that Miro wins. However, given that AEW has never done a DQ finish on a main show (thankfully I may add), I cannot see it here. I would not rule out a time-limit draw though, and am good with draw finishes.

• Like 2

They’ve done a DQ finish for a fall the Iron Man match between Omega and PAC in 2019 on Dynamite - but yeah, I don’t think that’s going to happen next week.

• Like 1

I fancy Miro to win the TNT Championship by referee stoppage as Darby Allin can't defend himself. That's an effective finish when used occasionally. See Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens at NXT TakeOver: Rival 2015. I still think that's the best Zayn/Owens match. Chris Jericho vs  Shawn Michaels at The Great American Bash 2008. That's my favourite Michaels/Jericho match.

Edited by The Natural

6 hours ago, Big Z said:

I agree with the thinking that Miro wins. However, given that AEW has never done a DQ finish on a main show (thankfully I may add), I cannot see it here. I would not rule out a time-limit draw though, and am good with draw finishes.

We need to have a time limit draw at some ooint. Done occasionally, those are also effective. Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk in ROH, June 2004 and October 2004 come straight to mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

We need to have a time limit draw at some ooint. Done occasionally, those are also effective. Samoa Joe vs. CM Punk in ROH, June 2004 and October 2004 come straight to mind.

Every Steve Regal and Arn Anderson TV Title match on WCWSN

• Like 1

Pac vs Moxley ended in a time limit draw on Dynamite, and so did the first Cody vs Darby match at Fight for the Fallen.

14 hours ago, A_K said:

The point was clearly lost on you. Darby's charm derives largely from his underdog, fight-against-all-odds nature; Darby plays the role perfectly (I've called for him to Main Event since the dawn of the show .. with the slight exception of Starks & a heel-Cody, practically all talent I'd personally want to see the show built around in their appropriate role have received such, which is fun ..), but that charm is diminished if played out among multiple other smaller acts. The laws of diminishing returns. Especially when the talent around whom this topic originated among you specifically is several inches down on Rey Mysterio, never mind Darby Allin. There should be only "one" Darby in the 'Darby role' to receive maximum effect in the senior-stakes at the top of the card. As you were.

"There should only be one successful smaller underdog at the top of the card" is a strangely limiting and unimaginative standard to have. But you can live in whatever box you like. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Wouldn't a time limit draw against an injured Darby kill Miro's cred?

There's a way to style through it where he spends the first ten minutes of the match throwing him into the crowd and mugging before getting increasingly frustrated to a time limit finish. Could argue that it makes him look like a dumbass but he could wear it maybe.

11 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

There's a way to style through it where he spends the first ten minutes of the match throwing him into the crowd and mugging before getting increasingly frustrated to a time limit finish. Could argue that it makes him look like a dumbass but he could wear it maybe.

Getting squashed by Miro is probably the best thing for Darby storyline-wise. Darby valiantly loses, and has a ready made feud with Scorp and Page and a huge rematch with him at full strength with Miro down the line.  And Miro is solidly entrenched as a main event player moving forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"There should only be one successful smaller underdog at the top of the card" is a strangely limiting and unimaginative standard to have. But you can live in whatever box you like. 

If the alternative train of thought is having a 5 foot 3 inch man as a candidate for your World Champion, then I am quite happy being on this side of credulity.

21 minutes ago, A_K said:

If the alternative train of thought is having a 5 foot 3 inch man as a candidate for your World Champion, then I am quite happy being on this side of credulity.

002_UKCT_01152017jg_3967--ff717afc765b55

Will this do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Getting squashed by Miro is probably the best thing for Darby storyline-wise. Darby valiantly loses, and has a ready made feud with Scorp and Page and a huge rematch with him at full strength with Miro down the line.  And Miro is solidly entrenched as a main event player moving forward.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree, I just think there's a way to do a time limit draw without completely stymieing Miro.

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

If we are gonna emphasize time limits in matches it good to have a time limit draw happen just enough that the audience thinks it "could" happen