DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

On 5/3/2021 at 5:53 PM, hammerva said:

By the way I am way out of the loop because I thought Blood and Guts was a PPV.  Nope just a Dynamite.  I mean it is cool to see but a War Games match on free TV seems wrong

Wrestling business has really changed in the 70's and 80's it was all about making you money on the road with house shows (hence taking war games on the road) the TV to set up the live events, in the 90's it became a PPV business with the TV to sell the PPVs now its about those big tv deals so you have to do big things to deliver ratings. (TV used to be something you got for free or sometimes even paid for the slot)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

At this point I am pretty sure that Sammy is actually a crazy person who just plays a less crazy person, which is a big twist for wrestling. I can't imagine even trying half the stuff he's done, he's wild.

The young talent AEW has on their roster is really something: Sammy Guevara, MJF, Jungle Boy and Darby Allin come straight to mind.

• Like 3

Shit, that was a year ago?  Man time flies, doesn't it?  I think I saw that gif at least 60 times throughout the year before I lost count and a good bit more.  It had everything from Sammy running scared, Omega freaking out and Matt with his maniacal smile.  Whether you like wrestling or not that shit's pure gold.

• Like 2

Kris Statlander was pretty entertaining on the latest AEW pod.  Tagging @J.T.because we discussed this...talking about her makeup, she said "some people told me they liked it because it reminded them of 'The V,' which was some show from the 70s, I think."  Now I feel super old.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I wish I had more time for AEW Dark as I really miss old PWG commentary where Excalibur would call the match with whoever he could get (typically Rick Knox, Steen, Chuckie T, Name Redacted, etc.) and they wouldn't take it too seriously, and I think this would scratch that itch.

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

I know I say this every week but I can't recommend Dark enough as background / easy listening. Crack open a beer and chill. It truly is the modern WCWSN.

Hey, stop looking in and seeing what I'm doing on Tuesdays!  ?  I usually save beer for the weekends now but before we moved I was doing that during Dark.  It's still quite  enjoyable with or without it though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

LOL. Probably my two favourite commentators.

Still chuckling thinking about and watching this back an hour later. The ring just kicked the shit out of him!

Edited by The Natural

The only time I have an issue with size type stuff is when it's Shane McMahon beating up wrestlers because it always looks awful. I even give Bad Bunny a pass because he actually learned how to do shit. Shane is old as hell and still only knows a float over DDT and jumping off of shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This didn't seem to be an issue around here when Darby beat Cage. You might be waiting a while. 

It was an issue a few weeks ago when whoever it was was clamoring for a junior title and saying John Silver is too small or whatever.

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

It was an issue a few weeks ago when whoever it was was clamoring for a junior title and saying John Silver is too small or whatever.

A few people have had that conversation a couple times this year, but skimming that just now to refresh my memory it's clear that general consensus tends to line up against the idea of introducing such titles or emphasizing weight classes. Maybe there's a place on the internet where the discourse trends more in that direction, but if you're thirsty for those tears then you're pretty much picking over scraps here. It really isn't an issue. It's a conversation that barely exists. Maybe you read more into it, I dunno. A lot can happen in an "or whatever." 

Maybe you were talking about other someones who are the size of Darby and Miro. I'm not expecting to see much of that kind of talk surrounding them specifically. People here seem to generally like Darby's work against a myriad of upper card acts, including a guy the size of Cage whose match with Darby was met with near universal effusive praise. Darbs doesn't seem to be getting too much side-eye in any conversations about that dreaded realism stuff. But maybe "whoever it was" will make your day and chime in with a steaming turd of a take. Here's hoping. 

Edit: I take it all back. Just saw A_K using Darby as a specific example of stretching the "limits of believability." Marko Stunt for world champ, please and thank you. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

I only would have a problem if the match was a slug fest with Darby going punch for punch with Miro. A match worked like the Brian Cage match is enough he won't die, survives the onslaught and uses his skill and speed pull it.