DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

13 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Dax Hardwood seems like the easy choice on Pinnacle.  Very Arn Anderson like .  Inner Circle I don't know probably Sammy so he can get beat up a lot

Sammy said last week that he would go on first so he'll definitely start it off.  As for Pinnacle Dax or Cash is the right call.

FTR would likely be number one and two, Spears likely three since he's got reasonable wind and its the middle of the match anyway with MJF and Wardlow batting clean up.

Sammy, Santana, Hagar, Ortiz and Jericho for the big final entrant because he's the biggest pop and Hagar (the natural 'big gun') isn't over enough for the final entrance pop.

EDIT: So start with Sammy and Dax, Cash comes in to save his partner and FTR play ring generals directing traffic because this will be a lot of moving pieces, Santana saves Sammy and evens the odds, Spears comes in and feeds the babyfaces but gives FTR a chance to turn the tide, Hagar comes in to pound three people, Wardlow comes in to counter Hagar, Ortiz comes in and gets some rally but the heels to get the advantage so MJF can come in and pick the bones until Jericho makes the final save before they go to whatever finish. I think someone made the right call going to a Jericho quits to save Sammy (or vice versa). This also reflects to MJF's turn on Cody except this time, it was with good intentions and completes a story beat. 

Pinacle needs to win or they are totally and completely dead in the water, never to recover.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Then, life and Dynamite moves on without some of the dead weight.  I mean Jericho’s gotta have some semblance of sense to know it’s time to go on hiatus and freshen up.  Or better yet semi-retire to the commentary booth.  

I hope if the Inner Circle continues its shifts from being Jericho's backing band to Jericho mentoring Sanana/Ortiz & and Sammy similar to Darby & Sting. Plus him doing commentary.

Hey, it's Hook's 22nd birthday so let's all wish our guiding light a happy fuckin' birt'day. 

Happy birthday, on this most sacred of days, to the one and only Hook Katahajime. ?‍♂️??

• Like 8

• In an interview with The New York Post, Chris Jericho talked about the differences between AEW's version of WarGames and the WCW and WWE versions of the match. "Our apparatus, if you will, is different. We are putting it in Daily’s Place so there were some configurations you kind of had to switch around a bit just out of space restrictions, which kind of adds to the originality of our match and our structure. If you watched WarGames back in 1992, it’s a little different from that and if you saw kind of WWE’s bastardized version, it’s different from that. We kind of have a little bit of a different thing. Some of it is by design, some of it is from necessity."
  • In the same interview, Jericho mentioned that he would love to see Samoa Joe in AEW. “Those guys have three months before they can go anywhere. But I’d love to see Joe in an AEW ring at some point. That’s another dream match if you want to go there. I’ve never. I think we had one little, three-minute s—tty little match on Raw and it was just kind of thrown away. And I didn’t want to do it because I said this is a pay-per-view match, but that’s the WWE style. I think Joe and Jericho, Joe and Omega, Joe with Cody, Joe with put name here is a money match.”

I agree with Chris Jericho.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Something that bothers me... everytime someone hits a brainbuster JR has to name drop Karl Kox and Dick Murdoch, yet he never mentions Arn or Tully who wrestled as The Brainbusters and work for the company. Also Eddie Guerruo would be a much more timely reference 

Arn and Tully were called the Brainbusters because they worked for Bobby Heenan, not really because of the move.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Something that bothers me... everytime someone hits a brainbuster JR has to name drop Karl Kox and Dick Murdoch, yet he never mentions Arn or Tully who wrestled as The Brainbusters and work for the company. Also Eddie Guerruo would be a much more timely reference 

Koko B. Ware would work, too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ace said:

Arn and Tully were called the Brainbusters because they worked for Bobby Heenan, not really because of the move.

There was a bit of double meaning but yes, they were the Brainbusters because they were in the Heenan stable.

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

Koko B. Ware would work, too.

I will go into broken record mode and restate that Koko had the best looking brainbuster finisher.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

Am I out of my element or did they not at least briefly use a two man version of the move as a finish?

No.  In WWF they used a spike piledriver as their finish.  In JCP, the closest to a finisher they had was when Arn was using the Gourdbuster and they would use a double teaming version.

• Like 2

An amusing night of squashes on AEW Dark.  I never thought I would see a match where Big Swole was the better worker, but there was Megan Bayne.  The Acclaimed were comedy gold.  I hope that Khan payed all of the jobbers well last night, because most of them had to put up with some pretty embarrassing shit.  Dr. Luther and Serpentico were your MVPs of the evening,

Edited by J.T.

Can’t confirm, but Twitter is currently blowing up that Tony Khan went on Busted Open Radio and confirmed that Daily’s Place will be at full capacity for DoN.

It’ll be interesting to see if they go back to the old TV setup there.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I never thought I would see a match where Big Swole was the better worker, but there was Megan Bayne.

I had to look up Megan and I'm assuming she's either a Greek woman from Connecticut or she sits on a throne of lies.  But I do like the look though everything else was a bit lacking to say the least.  I could have swore Swole got pretty frustrated with her when she tried to run the ropes and Megan was standing there.  But after that it was whatever.

23 minutes ago, EVA said:

Can’t confirm, but Twitter is currently blowing up that Tony Khan went on Busted Open Radio and confirmed that Daily’s Place will be at full capacity for DoN.

It’ll be interesting to see if they go back to the old TV setup there.

I know that AEW has gone to great lengths to protect their workers and the people that attend.  But even with vaccines rolling out we're talking Florida and I just don't trust the people that attend.  Only way I can see it is if it was a "must show proof of vaccine" situation but no way will that happen (though IMO it really should)

51 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Only way I can see it is if it was a "must show proof of vaccine" situation but no way will that happen (though IMO it really should)

Yeah, future president DeSantis just signed a bill prohibiting businesses from asking for proof of vaccination. So as you said, that's not happening.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yeah, future president DeSantis just signed a bill prohibiting businesses from asking for proof of vaccination. So as you said, that's not happening.

I have so much to say about it but that's something best left for Discord.  That and I'm in a generally decent mood so not sure he's worth me getting bent out of shape over right now.

It will be interesting to see if we actually use that bill. Since Rick Scott signed that Year Round Daylight Savings Time bill in 2018 & the whole state has ignored it since it would have caused such as mess. 

It is a TNT tradition dating back to the flagship event back in 2000.  The man who brought war games to TNT is of course, Vince Russo!

Truthfully, they killed the gimmick the previous year.  A three team war games ruins the concept. Having it end with the ONE person making the PIN(?)  That ONE person in a team event then received a title shot.  

What the...why did WCW allow those idiotic stipulations on a regular basis?  WCW had several matches over the years where it was said to be every man for himself.  It would be legal to pin a member of your own team.  I swear sometimes those stips also allowed one team member to win the title held by a teammate.  

There were some NWO era matches as well as ones from the Russo era.  It is almost like we really can’t blame Russo for that 2000 War Games when WCW made nonsensical stipulations in War Games or title matches was some bastardization of the rules that WCW can lay claim to without need to invoke the name of Russo.

...that 2000 version of War Games was just the perfect storm of awful ideas.  Maybe tonight a memorable show will help us bury those truly awful WCW ideas for good.

• Like 1