DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2021

Casey

On 5/1/2021 at 7:46 PM, colonial said:

Abadon vs. Ryo Mizunami on Monday's Elevation ... that should be a fun watch.

That match was awesome.  Everybody's best match is against Ryo Mizunami.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

If you can take a chance on Jake Roberts, you can take a chance onTessa Blanchard.

Yeah but Jake never hurt anybody but himself. The only way giving him a chance would look bad is if he died on your watch of a coke-related heart attack or died in a drunken car wreck.

All this talk of a Scorp defense makes me want to see Darby vs. 2 Cold now. 

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 6:24 PM, christopher.annino said:

On the plus side, we've seen that somebody who's a known fuckwad - Ivelisse - was shown the door just the same in AEW. 

Are you saying you don't agree with her allegations? I don't have a dog in this fight either way, just curious.

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah but Jake never hurt anybody but himself.

I was strictly talking about the idea of giving someone a second chance.   Some guys like Jake  and Joey Janela are way past second chances and are still on the roster.  There is also the issue of Sammy Guevara and #speakingout.

To hire or not to hire Tessa is a question that is very debatable.  Personally I wouldn't do it since I think her divisive comments would make for an uncomfortable locker room.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I was strictly talking about the idea of giving someone a second chance.   Some guys like Jake and Joey Janela are way past second chances and are still on the roster.  Sammy Guevara survived #speakingout and is in a high profile feud.

To hire or not to hire Tessa is a question that is very debatable.

Joey? What'd he do?

So, Reka Tehaka. She seems nice.

Also I thought Sammy apologized for his language and the apology was accepted IIRC.

FWIW I'm on the "Don't Hire" side. Regardless of whether she's reformed or not she's just gonna be in the spot of somebody else that deserves it and the locker room, as you say, isn't gonna be happy. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Facts.  If you can take a chance on Jake Roberts, you can take a chance onTessa Blanchard.  The question now becomes Should You Take A Chance On Tessa Blanchard?

Given Impact's current synergy with AEW, I am surprised that Khan would entertain that notion.  I'd think that Impact's bookers would have "warned" him by now.

Personally, I would just do the NXT thing and continue to grow my organic talent.

To be fair, the synergy with Impact seems to be solely to fluff Kenny, so Khan probably doesn't care what Calis or D'Amore say about it, and unlikely either are really paying attention to what the AEW side of the house is doing in this since Kenny's giving them their ratings/buys bump.

Edited by Raziel

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Joey? What'd he do?

Nothing really serious in the long view, but he has a rep for being a shit disturber.   Janela would probably be the first one to tell you that he's surprised by the amount of dirt he's gotten away with.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also I thought Sammy apologized for his language and the apology was accepted IIRC.

Apology or no, I'd still be wary around a guy that casually threw around comments about sexual assault, but wrestling is a sleazy business and maybe all that Sammy needed was a good talking to in order to help him shed that negative culture influence.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

To be fair, the synergy with Impact seems to be solely to fluff Kenny, so Khan probably doesn't care what Calis or D'Amore say about it, and unlikely either are really paying attention to what the AEW side of the house is doing in this (which is nothing really, anyway)  

True, but there are still lessons to be learned about the hiring and firing of Tessa Blanchard.  I hate the practice of blackballing, but I also think that Impact would do AEW a disservice if they didn't make any concerns known.

Tully being there may be the thing that keeps Tessa in check.  Whether or not AEW book does the obvious thing and makes her a member of the Pinnacle remains to be seen.

Edited by J.T.

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

FWIW I'm on the "Don't Hire" side. Regardless of whether she's reformed or not she's just gonna be in the spot of somebody else that deserves it and the locker room, as you say, isn't gonna be happy. 

Which locker room? 'Cause I've got her pencilled in against Omega at Full Gear. 

• Haha 1

See, we should be thinking of how much money Khan would be taking out of AAA and Konnan's pockets. All those headlining gigs and 5* mat classics against Sexy Star will be long gone if she goes to AEW.

Sarcasm aside if she belongs in any North American fed it's WWE. Clearly they don't care who gets hired as long as the blowback isn't too strong (and even if it is). If the shoe fits, wear it.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Now there's your redemption story match-up.  Tessa Blanchard vs Sexy Star:  Winner gets an AEW contract.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Tessa, because Sexy Star probably refuses to/cannot learn how to speak English. 

This is why we have the lovely Dasha Gonzalez running interviews.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah but Jake never hurt anybody but himself.

His daughter would disagree. He also spent several years burning independent promoters who were relying on him in addition to other wrestlers (judging by the usual financial state of wrestlers from his own era, likely couldn't afford to lend in the first place) who he borrowed money from and didn't repay the favor.

I'm glad he got his shit together, but it did take him 25 years to do it.

True, but there are still lessons to be learned about the hiring and firing of Tessa Blanchard.  I hate the practice of blackballing, but I also think that promoters do themselves a disservice if they don't warn each other about problematic workers.

Here's the thing though: On top of not being able to blackball people (cause it's not like it's Bob Geigel running the NWA), the average promoter is going look at taking a year off as basically something in lieu of suspension anyway right or wrong. You basically gave away a year's worth of income (from Impact, Mexico, and indie bookings). There are folks who have serious allegations hurled at them who either never took time off or only made to take time off so the heat could die down a little.

Now the intriguing question about it is how many of the folks who have a problem with this are going to openly object to hiring her. I mean just from her IG page, you got Charlotte commenting on several of her posts among many others (fwiw just off the top of my head Moose and Miranda Alize who Tessa trained I believe and wrestles a lot on Dark). That seems like a big name to have in your corner. I feel like that along with being so far removed from when those accusations were launched will make folks who actually work for a WWE or AEW stand down.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Now there's your betting pool idea.  Who will you see wrestling on North American television first?   Tessa Blanchard or Sexy Star?

It wasn't wrestling, but Dulce Sexy (or Sexy Dulce or w/e she is calling herself this week) was on Univision/TUDN having an MMA fight last Friday (in a losing effort). She doesn't need wrestling anymore because she's taking the MMA world by storm one fight every 365 days or so at a time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Now there's your redemption story match-up.  Tessa Blanchard vs Sexy Star:  Winner gets an AEW contract.

Only if it is the fake Sexy Star that apparently started up in AAA

By the way I am way out of the loop because I thought Blood and Guts was a PPV.  Nope just a Dynamite.  I mean it is cool to see but a War Games match on free TV seems wrong

18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

His daughter would disagree.

Point taken. I'm sure the wife (wives?) he cheated on feel the same. 

Now I'm thinking about Beyond the Mat. "She's acting real funky man... *picks at jacket* What's that shit? Chocolate or something?"

EDIT: Found it! I was close, too! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It wasn't wrestling, but Dulce Sexy (or Sexy Dulce or w/e she is calling herself this week) was on Univision/TUDN having an MMA fight last Friday (in a losing effort). She doesn't need wrestling anymore because she's taking the MMA world by storm one fight every 365 days or so at a time.

Well, when your husband is boxeo legend Jhonny Gonzalez, you can afford to fight only once a year.

Claudia Diaz whipped her ass.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Well, when your husband is boxeo legend Jhonny Gonzalez, you can afford to only fight once a year.

Claudia Diaz whipped her ass.

Between that and Lawlor getting humiliated by good ole Shoeface last week too, I don't understand the whole fighting while wrestling when you're of a certain age. Very few good things could happen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Damn I missed it! Wasn't Combate supposed to be on AXS? I feel like everything fell off after the huge push of Tito/Alberto. 

8 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Damn I missed it! Wasn't Combate supposed to be on AXS? I feel like everything fell off after the huge push of Tito/Alberto. 

I believe that was a one shot thing or a bridge to a more permanent TV deal, and also it was around the time AXS got rid of MMA completely (Combate temporarily replaced LFA and then moved to another channel altogether). IIRC it's been on Univision for awhile now which makes sense given the audience. Thunder Rosa was on the first or second Univision card if you'll remember. 

Also, apparently, it went from Combate Americas to Combate Global post pandemic.

• Like 1

AEW hired Mike Tyson, convicted rapist.  I really hope they don’t do any grandstanding when Tessa eventually signs with someone.  They don’t have the moral high ground simply by not hiring someone who might be a locker room distraction.  

They employed a convicted rapist who most likely abused his then-wife, Robin Givens.  Then he went just a LITTLE nuts for a few years after the biting sting of losing after biting Sting...I mean Holyfield in 1997.

Mike Tyson in the 90s was a bad dude.  I don’t mean that as some sort of colloquialism for “badass”. They could have approached any number of boxers or MMAers who haven’t been convicted of rape.  They could have even debuted MIRO in the Tyson spot...which would have been awesome if the timeline matches up.

A women’s division with Shida, Nyla, Abadon, Tay Conti, Dr. Britt, Thunder Rosa, Allie/The Bunny, Leyla Hirsch, Statlander, Penelope Ford, Red Velvet, Shanna, Jade Cargill and Anna Jay and Serena Deeb back from injuries eventually PLUS the ladies from Japan (Mizunami, Sakura, Riho, Maki Ito, Yuka Sakazaki) still needs one or two workhorses like Deeb or Rosa - especially since Thunder Rosa isn’t officially #allelite yet.  

It would be a better deal to sign a couple from Chelsea Green, Peyton Royce/Cassandra,  Jessica McKay or others. They need one of the women that worked AllIn or later shows as one offs or twofers.  One of those women was Tessa Blanchard...so we are back to that...There are some good prospects among the cavalcade of ladies that appear on Dark and its spin-offs.

Women like Leva Bates and Big Swole are not filling that Christian Cage role either.  Is Awesome Kong ever wrestling in AEW again or is she a full time coach and actor in 2021?  Mel hasn’t been relevant possibly ever but she also never wrestled.  She could be a lady hoss but so many other big and tall ladies have shown more with less screen time.  Brandi and Big Swole are too inexperienced for the level of push each has had in the past.  Sadie Gibbs impressed me in the Dark period before COVID-19.  It’s too bad she was released and is recently retired.  She had some great athleticism, IIRC.  Was it her who splat landed off an attempted Sasuke Special/Space Flying Tigrr Drop on Dark more than a year ago?  I think she came up short on the dive AND Nyla(?) didn’t catch her at all. 

Where is Bionic J when you need her?

I think what a lot of people are missing is that Tessa has a locker room problem.  She has been such a terrible person that other women don’t want to work with her.  This is a very different situation than somebody who has issues in their personal life or has a history of Bad Tweets that might embarrass the company.  If that was all it was with Tessa, she would’ve been back with WWE/Impact/AEW by now.  Call it a double standard all you want, but that’s always been the case in a wrestling:  Fuck up your life all you want, just don’t fuck up the locker room.  Tessa done fucked up there, and she is paying the price for it.

Until she fixes that problem, she hasn’t a hope in Hell of clawing her way back from obscurity.  Nobody is going to risk nuking morale in their women’s locker room for her.  Nobody is even in a position where they’d even need to consider it right now.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

They employed a convicted rapist who most likely abused his then-wife, Robin Givens.  Then he went just a LITTLE nuts for a few years after the biting sting of losing after biting Sting...I mean Holyfield in 1997.

Evander Holyfield is not the Sting of Boxing. He's more of a Ric Flair. As in, the dirtiest player in the game.

• Like 1