DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 WRESTLING IMAGERY.

On 5/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, Curt McGirt said:

It's a variation on the term "Columbian necktie", which refers to slitting someone's throat so deep that the tongue falls and hangs out of the wound.

Just to add to this a bit: the use of "Peruvian" in the name of the move isn't really a random choice because "Columbian" was taken, and doesn't have anything to do with Thunder Rosa or pro wrestling.

The choke comes from Brazilian jiu jitsu, where it was originated (or at the very least popularized by) Peruvian mixed martial artist Tony DeSouza. If he didn't give it this name himself, it's named such in his honor. 

Applied correctly, it feels as unpleasant as the legacy of the original term implies.

• Thanks 1

Miro: First Wrestler to be TV champion in the new big two:

Edited by AxB
More Miro!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Log said:

Whatever happened to Prince Nana?  He was great in ROH.

Nana losing his mind in-ring for the Ghana flag I brought to an ECWA show ("WHERE DID YOU GET THAT?!") was worth the $20 I paid for it at the train station in DC. Wound up bringing it to a handful of Elk's Lodge shows as well. Dude is/was a card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/12/2021 at 12:13 PM, Pete said:

If the ref BURIED THE TALENT~! by doing a drop-down/leapfrog, that says waaaaaaaay more about the talent than the ref.

There's no hate like IWC hate.

I don't have an opinion on the ref doing a leapfrog but shiiiiittttt... Hornet *is* the best worker in the ring there. Had a really solid career doing mostly lucha style on Canadian indies before signing with WWE as a ref.

16 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't have an opinion on the ref doing a leapfrog but shiiiiittttt... Hornet *is* the best worker in the ring there. Had a really solid career doing mostly lucha style on Canadian indies before signing with WWE as a ref.

Is that the same Hornet who randomly had a match that's on Youtube against Yuki Ishikawa?