DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

There is something a bit off about Patriotic John toadying to Red China let's face it.

But the wider problem is that there is a Culture War going on, and in that climate backing down over Taiwan being a country is going to get seen as a cowardly (I originally wrote *yellow* which was open to misinterpretation. I apologise for any offence caused) move that will alienate certain parts of the fan base.

It also brings attention to the fact that Chinese money (which cannot be easily be separated from the government) holds a lot of sway over Hollywood at large - an uncomfortable topic for many.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

There is something a bit off about Patriotic John toadying to Red China let's face it.

Clearly, he's sewing the seeds for a Slaughter turncoat angle.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

But the wider problem is that there is a Culture War going on, and in that climate backing down over Taiwan being a country is going to get seen as a yellow move that will alienate certain parts of the fan base.

It also brings attention to the fact that Chinese money (which cannot be easily be separated from the government) holds a lot of sway over Hollywood at large - an uncomfortable topic for many.

?

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm still not understanding why WWE is upset with Cena over his apology and what that situation is. And if Andrew Zarian is going to put that out there, why not elaborate on it.

WWE were looking to bring him in on the first live show in July, so they're probably mad that Cena's caught in the middle of all this because it's unwanted negative press.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

By that I meant cowardly and nothing else. I thank you for bringing to my attention and will annotate the original post.

Oh I know, it just struck me as kinda amusing, esp given all the “yellow peril” talking points involving the Shang Chi movie.

13 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Next up on the WWE announcer carousel.

Congratulations to Mick Shrimpton on getting the Raw gig, and best wishes to Adnan "Stumpy" Virk in all of his future endeavors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jimmy Smith is a pretty good announcer and I believe he knows the product. This should be a good hiring, but as always, it comes down to how you feel about Vince or Cole or whoever screaming in your ear.

• Like 2

Oh man. My heart breaks for her.

I thought it was shocking that Larry Steve died so young. Her message lead me to look into it more and man, outright rejecting to see her pig because of his size is fucked up. You have to wonder if he could have been saved had at least one of those vets decided to see him.

Just awful, awful shit. Poor thing.

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, nofuture said:

WWE were looking to bring him in on the first live show in July, so they're probably mad that Cena's caught in the middle of all this because it's unwanted negative press.

Like something this minuscule isn't going to blow over by July. LeBron James had similar controversy in 2019 and no one gives a shit anymore.

Secondly, it pales in comparison to running in Saudi Arabia when everyone was telling them not to. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Secondly, it pales in comparison to running in Saudi Arabia when everyone was telling them not to. 

Cena's gotten more press over this than WWE has ever gotten over Saudi Arabia, mostly because no one really cares about what WWE does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Like something this minuscule isn't going to blow over by July. LeBron James had similar controversy in 2019 and no one gives a shit anymore.

might be more of an issue with this affecting WWE's business in China than bad US press

• Like 3

I saw this tweet with this pic of Terry Funk and Nick Bockwinkle and I was wondering did they ever have a one on one match? I assume they faced each other in tags and stuff.

I just really hope this match happened and there's some video or film of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I saw this tweet with this pic of Terry Funk and Nick Bockwinkle and I was wondering did they ever have a one on one match? I assume they faced each other in tags and stuff.

I just really hope this match happened and there's some video or film of it.

According to Cagematch they have met in singles competition a handful of times, in Japan and in Texas:

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=1263&page=4&search=Terry+Funk

There have been a few other interesting connections, including Terry being the ref for a Bock vs Jumbo title match.

It also seems that Bock's last-ever match may have been vs. Dory Jr.

EDIT: Here ya go!

and just for fun:

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 1