DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

32 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Nobody calls it a "double wristlock" anymore so I'll throw Masahiko Kimura on the list even if it's an MMA thing

Hehe, being pretty unaware of many things MMA, I always just figured that move was named after Kengo Kimura, of whom I've seen like one match ever and never used a double wristlock in that match. I think he used a move of which you weren't sure whether it was a dropkick or a flying headbutt? So, I learned something new today.

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Has there been any news on Keith Lee recently? Is he still getting over the aftermath of his bout with COVID-19 or does Vince still not "get" him, or da fuq?

Meltzer said recently that he's not injured and it's not Covid keeping him off tv.  There's been some speculation that something happened to land him in Vince's doghouse, but that doesn't seem to be based on anything substantial.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I haven't watched WWE in like two or three years now, and I still hear C'MON JAAAAAHN in my sleep. I can't imagine whatever hes doing now is much better, but I'll bet you lunch it involves 15 minute monologues

It's in that PBA video post that I put up on the last page, at the hour mark. I still am not sure what that's supposed to be. It was weird as hell

Rey and Big E cut solid promos, though. Everything is as it was since the last time I watched the company - Roman feels totally unnatural cutting a promo, Rollins is shit, and Rey and Big E are good. The more things change, nothing changes. 

The PBA is really great again, though! If you're into pro bowling and you fell off in those dull post-ABC years, there are some good personalities again and the mix of two-handers and one-handers really make for eclectic matchups, especially considering the modern equipment options in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re: Keith Lee

In the most recent WON - Dave had one line about it that just said

"Regarding Keith Lee, he has said that someday he will explain why he's gone" (I am assuming he said this is a Tweet but Dave didn't specify where "he said it")

That really comes across as a guy just waiting till his contract runs out

Just now, RIPPA said:

Re: Keith Lee

In the most recent WON - Dave had one line about it that just said

"Regarding Keith Lee, he has said that someday he will explain why he's gone" (I am assuming he said this is a Tweet but Dave didn't specify where "he said it")

Yeah, Twitter. A few weeks back, Lee said something cryptic about there being a story to tell and one day he'll be able to tell it.

I couldn’t find a separate thread for A&E’s Most Wanted Treasures show. Like all realty shows, you can tell that most of what happens is scripted/pre-arranged.

With that being said, the show is really enjoyable. It’s a little surprising that some of the legends have their memorabilia stored in totes in either their attics or a storage unit instead of being displayed in their home. Bob Backlund has been the highlight so far. The man is a lunatic, and at 71 years of age, is in far better shape than I am. 

Edited by A Guy Named Tracy
  • Like 2

Considering indie Keith was a WTF spot guy, the fact that the most impressive bit of his WWE run is a spot where he climbs on to the ring apron (and the guy revving up in the corner doesn't seem him), that's really something.

Are we going with the "Vince thinks he needs to learn how to work like a big man" theory, or the "Vince thinks he's not in shape" theory?

On 5/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

Nobody calls it a "double wristlock" anymore

Josh Barnett says hello. 

Speaking of A&E, I tried to get through the Shawn Michaels Biography but man, it was just insufferable. Half the thing was Bruce Pritchard narration. If you think that guy didn't already act like someone Vince stamped out of a mold in the basement of Titan before, you will after watching him drone on about someone else's life for nearly an hour. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 9:28 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

Also, special credit to the German Suplex and Irish Whip

I've actually always wondered about moves with 'location' names. I know the Irish whip was popularised by Irish NWA champion Danno O'Mahony in the 1930s but have no idea where the German Suplex, Boston Crab, Texas Cloverleaf, Russian Legsweep, etc come from.

Let's name 'location' moves and their origins.