DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Was the Talent Management Group supposed to find third party opportunities for talent? Like Cameo, Twitch, etc? If so it makes sense that Zelina came back, not that I was paying attention to how her Twitch numbers were looking.

• Like 1

If Zelina Vega is coming back...did the third party stuff dry up for her, or did they quietly lift/relax the bans? Like maybe Cameo is a no go, but they can do Twitch and other stuff under their real names?

This topic might not get traction, but hearing American commentators call the Orihara Moonsault makes me wonder if there's any other move as often used yet named after a wrestler that's mostly unknown to the average fan. Any other examples? 

13 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

Was the Talent Management Group supposed to find third party opportunities for talent? Like Cameo, Twitch, etc? If so it makes sense that Zelina came back, not that I was paying attention to how her Twitch numbers were looking.

From PWInsider by Mike Johnson 

"Despite big plans to represent their own talent to monetize third party bookings including sponsorships, film and TV roles, World Wrestling Entertainment has already shut down their Talent Management Group.

WWE launched plans for the division in November 2020, announcing, "WWE Talent Management Group will deliver best-in-class 360-degree support of Talent across all internal lines of business and key external partners, amplifying Talent brand value and maximizing monetization opportunities for Talent and WWE."  

The company began staffing the division at that point.

PWInsider.com is told the decision to shutter the division was made just few weeks back and in all, the division only existed for four to five weeks."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dog said:

Okay. What's so bad about it?

"The stuff that gets the most heat was the stuff where you were right-on, at least with me. In time, you're completely vindicated in the end, although people don't, whatever, they won't admit that."

And then there was that poorly worded comparison to the Brodie Lee situation to anti-vaxxers believing Marvin Hagler and Hank Aaron's deaths were COVID-19 vaccination related. Now, some people are saying he was comparing what Bruce Mitchell did to anti-vaxxers claiming vaccinations caused Hagler and Aaron's death. Either way, it was a bad, poorly worded statement to make, and it made my jaw drop listening to it.

I think the main reason I'm angry though is that for half an hour he enabled Mitchell to not own up at all to what he put forth in his column that cost him his job last December.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

This topic might not get traction, but hearing American commentators call the Orihara Moonsault makes me wonder if there's any other move as often used yet named after a wrestler that's mostly unknown to the average fan. Any other examples? 

Fujiwara Armbar, Asai Moonsault (people not knowing that’s Ultimo), Guerrero Special (other than Eddy’s dad) 

do most average fans know who Thesz was? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

If Zelina Vega is coming back...did the third party stuff dry up for her, or did they quietly lift/relax the bans? Like maybe Cameo is a no go, but they can do Twitch and other stuff under their real names?

Vega hasn't streamed on Twitch in 3 months, which is really odd considering she was in the Top 100 before she just up and stopped. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Vega hasn't streamed on Twitch in 3 months, which is really odd considering she was in the Top 100 before she just up and stopped. 

Was she trying to get a new contract at a higher rate or something? This all sounds very bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Fujiwara Armbar, Asai Moonsault (people not knowing that’s Ultimo), Guerrero Special (other than Eddy’s dad) 

do most average fans know who Thesz was? 

Isn't that thing called the Gory Special?

Other moves / holds I can think of: Koji Clutch (Kanemoto barely did anything stateside and in NJ was winding down when it became bigger in the US), Romero Special and the STO (Space Tornado (Naoya) Ogawa). Also isn't the huracanrana named after Huracan Ramirez?

• Like 2

Assumed WWE President Khan removed the group, It's him restructuring the company.

Some articles mention World Wrestling Entertainment as the company's branded name, but it's actually just WWE due to undergoing orphan initialism years ago back in 2011. Both legal and Trade names are still World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc but in the future they will just probably shorten those names to WWE, Inc.

At some point in this decade they will update their logo again.

Oddly, I can't get away from WWE nowadays because it's so heavily-promoted by NBC during PL and by FOX during PBA events. The PBA is in the middle of the PBA Playoffs event, and they gave away a WWE title to the champion of that event last year, and they will this year. This year, though, they also had wrestlers cut promos starting in the semis. This means that I have had the chance to see my first heel Roman Reigns promo (video should start right at the promo): 

So, having seen this, I have to wonder why people are so into Roman Reigns as a heel because this dude is CORNY. I want to like him, but he comes off like he's cosplaying a brash heel. I mean, also, he's wearing a shirt that says ACKNOWLEDGE ME, which is the lamest shit for a heel to demand from his opponents ever, and I doubt any added context about why his shirt says that will make it better. It's like the antithesis of I BROKE WAHOO'S LEG.

I'm sure he's working good WWE-style matches, but they're just never going to get this dude to seem natural when he's cutting a promo, are they? I know I'm in the minority, but this dude just comes off as the lamest motherfucker ever. Like, too pathetic to even boo half-heartedly. 

This just makes me sad that NBC didn't hit on the same thing when they had the rights to both SNME and the PBA's Winter Tour in the '80s. Young me would have popped huge for Macho King Randy Savage cutting a promo on Pete Weber about who's really got the madness. Shoot, Pete Weber would have popped for it. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, D.Z said:

From PWInsider by Mike Johnson 

"Despite big plans to represent their own talent to monetize third party bookings including sponsorships, film and TV roles, World Wrestling Entertainment has already shut down their Talent Management Group.

WWE launched plans for the division in November 2020, announcing, "WWE Talent Management Group will deliver best-in-class 360-degree support of Talent across all internal lines of business and key external partners, amplifying Talent brand value and maximizing monetization opportunities for Talent and WWE."  

The company began staffing the division at that point.

PWInsider.com is told the decision to shutter the division was made just few weeks back and in all, the division only existed for four to five weeks."

So instead of just letting the talent keep whatever extra money the earned through 3rd parties, they decided to start a new department and pay new staff to maximize their cut lol. Probably would've costed less to keep the status quo and keep their hands out of the talent's pockets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, D.Z said:

At some point in this decade they will update their logo again.

They had the WWE scratch logo from 2002 - 2014. Twelve years total (Sixteen years if you count the WWF scratch version being the same thing). The current Network era logo has already been around 7 years now. Which sounds just crazy to me. Feels like that's still relatively new, but it's really not. Considering they changed logos like 4 or 5 times between 1984 -1998, a new design every 10 years seems pretty reasonable.

• Like 2

Uh, what the fuck is Seth Rollins's gimmick now? 

The weird robe and the odd speaking cadence, um, well he almost had something, but he's Seth Rollins, so he still got go-away heat.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Uh, what the fuck is Seth Rollins's gimmick now? 

The weird robe and the odd speaking cadence, um, well he almost had something, but he's Seth Rollins, so he still got go-away heat.

I haven't watched WWE in like two or three years now, and I still hear C'MON JAAAAAHN in my sleep. I can't imagine whatever hes doing now is much better, but I'll bet you lunch it involves 15 minute monologues

• Like 1

11 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I think that name came from Meltzer to begin with or at least whatever wrestling community was around at the time discussing things. I assume a bunch of them did that stuck. Fujiwara even uses Fujiwara Armbar in his own stuff to this day even though he'd just call it a wakigatame, which it is.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Was she trying to get a new contract at a higher rate or something? This all sounds very bizarre. 

She stopped streaming right about the time that "contract" she was rumored to have signed went public.  She's still posting to Instagram,  but nothing on her Twitch or YouTube.   That reeks of She signed an exclusive with a platform, but there's been nothing about it.

Being dark for 3 months is death for a streamer/content creator,  so everything with this is odd, as She quit to keep her stuff then promptly stopped doing all that stuff. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 4:52 PM, Robert s said:

Of course if your real last name is Anderson, you might use that name without any hints of being related to Ole, Arn and Gene. I mean Mr. Kennedy would have been a horrible Anderson. It was a wise decision by WWE to change his last name when they called him up.

Apparently Paul Heyman figured Vince would be a mark for his own name and came up with Kennedy 

5 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Has there been any news on Keith Lee recently? Is he still getting over the aftermath of his bout with COVID-19 or does Vince still not "get" him, or da fuq?

Hopefully he comes out tomorrow night as Lashley's next challenger.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robert s said:

Isn't that thing called the Gory Special?

Other moves / holds I can think of: Koji Clutch (Kanemoto barely did anything stateside and in NJ was winding down when it became bigger in the US), Romero Special and the STO (Space Tornado (Naoya) Ogawa). Also isn't the huracanrana named after Huracan Ramirez?

The Frankensteiner fits too. Not just because Scott stopped using it when the ratings peaked, but because what post-singlet-Scott viewers would assume Big Poppa Pump was doing stuff like that?  Also, special credit to the German Suplex and Irish Whip. Nobody calls it a "double wristlock" anymore so I'll throw Masahiko Kimura on the list even if it's an MMA thing.

What percentage of fans think/thought the Dragon Sleeper was named after Ultimo?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1