DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

North American champion Dick Slater gave the Mid South TV title to Buzz Sawyer and then Watts tricked Slater out of both belts.

Slater did the same thing with the Mid-Atlantic title, gifting it to Ivan Koloff after winning the US title

Didn't Lance Storm win every WCW title and then give them to the rest of his Canadian stablemates? He renamed the Hardcore belt the Saskatchewan Hardcore International Title and give it to the very Canadian Mike Awesome.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Didn't Lance Storm win every WCW title and then give them to the rest of his Canadian stablemates? He renamed the Hardcore belt the Saskatchewan Hardcore International Title and give it to the very Canadian Mike Awesome.

the Manitoba [?] 112KG And Under Championship was bequeathed to Elix Skipper, IIRC

• Like 3

On 5/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

the Manitoba [?] 112KG And Under Championship was bequeathed to Elix Skipper, IIRC

It was the 100kg and Under Championship. Didn't name it after Friendly Manitoba. ?

• Thanks 1

Lio Rush said he had a very long talk with Mark Henry last night and they're on good terms now. So that's good.

Also, see how both Paul Wight and Mark Henry jumped to AEW to do commentary? Do you think WWE even thought to try them out, before hiring Adnan Virk and Jimmy Smith instead? Or even, like, let it be known the job was available so they could apply for it?

• Thanks 1

The Mick Foley Biography was of course really good, but this one was good enough to keep on the DVR. Foley narrated it himself (yet isn't overbearing) and we get to see the usual beats and then some. He's actually rather handsome beneath the beard (well, was) and I didn't know he had two more kids, one being autistic. Also he was goddamn young in WWE. There's a moment where they're interviewing Vince and he says Cactus Jack was "declasse" and lowered the standards of the business or somesuch. Which is utterly hilarious for the obvious reasons. "Jim, I hold higher standards than that sleazy guy, dammit! Now, who are we gonna get to fill the role of the Sultan again?" 

Oh, and Vince actually told Jim and whoever else were banging on Mick to him "you're gonna learn what's it's like to be disappointed by talent". Famous last words right there.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Probably the most interesting thing is that there are more than one moments of a bloated Flair on there sticking by his guns. He says he watched the ear loss in Germany from Gorilla, is asked what his reaction was, and he says "I thought, 'You stupid motherfucker."

Maybe it was a personal request from Foley? They didn't talk to Rocky either. Maybe they're trying to leave him out of it entirely. 

It could be some "don't try this at home" shit too. But man, they showed each of his KOTDM matches, and all of them were the bumps. I guess it could also be following their non-headshot edict which would be soooooo WWE.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Maybe it was a personal request from Foley? They didn't talk to Rocky either. Maybe they're trying to leave him out of it entirely. 

I don’t remember them talking to Rock for the Austin doc. Maybe it’s just an availability thing.

If I’ve misremembered, please ignore. 

On 5/29/2021 at 5:23 PM, Eoae said:

Apparently Lawler put out a second tweet clarifying his first tweet, which made it sound like all employees had to get vaccinated.  I saw the first tweet, but not the second.  Sorry.

Honestly, I liked the policy more when I thought it was mandatory.

According to the EEOC, it's not against federal law for employers to require employees to be vaccinated or to offer incentives for vaccinations. However, the same press release also mentions caveats. So anyone not making it required or mandatory I imagine is concerned about avoiding potential lawsuits.

I only mention this because I was curious about it myself when I saw Hollywood studios were not making it mandatory for workers to get vaccinated. I was vaccinated and my workplace gave me a bonus for every shift I work after getting vaccinated for two months. Big companies are offering incentives for vaccinations over making it mandatory.

And I believe that reason being is they are trying to avoid big money lawsuits by making it mandatory. So I believe any company that's not making it mandatory is doing so to avoid potential lawsuits or payouts. Secondly, there could also be local or state laws that prevent employers from making it mandatory.

Thirdly, in terms of WWE, wrestlers are not formal employees, which we've been debating about for decades. So arguably, that gives them even less authority to make vaccinations mandatory for them.

https://www.eeoc.gov/newsroom/eeoc-issues-updated-covid-19-technical-assistance

Federal EEO laws do not prevent an employer from requiring all employees physically entering the workplace to be vaccinated for COVID-19, so long as employers comply with the reasonable accommodation provisions of the ADA and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other EEO considerations.  Other laws, not in EEOC’s jurisdiction, may place additional restrictions on employers.  From an EEO perspective, employers should keep in mind that because some individuals or demographic groups may face greater barriers to receiving a COVID-19 vaccination than others, some employees may be more likely to be negatively impacted by a vaccination requirement.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 12:50 AM, WholeFnMachine said:

I loved when Storm had that gimmick of winning and renaming all the titles and then bequeathing them to the very Canadian members of Team Canada. Side note, in the early internet’s days his website and blog were the best.

R1684e4d227e92a2a3ab9860ab0e9a7b4?rik=KO

In full agreement, my friend. Lance Storm's twitter is also worth checking out.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1