DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

I still vividly remember everything from where I was to the complete and utter disbelief seeing Razor Ramon on TV.   I don't know if I fully bought into the "WWF is invading WCW" theory but there was definitely something strange about the whole thing.

EDIT:  Couple takeaways after watching it again just now:

-It wouldn't surprise me if Tony really didn't know but he seemed really natural in questioning what's going on.  You can also hear him talking to whoever to try and cut away from this as quick as possible.

-I would need to check the timetable for all this but it's funny that he shit talks everybody referenced in the Billionaire Ted skits except for Hogan.  So maybe they knew he'd be the third guy then but it's something my 14-year-old brain didn't notice at the time.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

For what it’s worth I enjoyed it at the time, I still enjoy it now and I’ve never understood the backlash it got.  

I’m not particularly a fan of either guy and only watched it out of curiosity.  

I think a lot of fans followed Vader's lead because he was so vociferously against it, and it was easier to side with the old school vet than the little flippy dudes.

• Like 1

Little flippy dudes are totally in vouge in the current wrestling climate. Most negative reactions were geared around how performative that sequence that got clipped was.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And what could possibly be the companion to the hiring of Jimmy Smith, the WWE has released Tom Phillips

This company is fucking dumb.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Tony really didn't know but he seemed really natural in questioning what's going on.  You can also hear him talking to whoever to try and cut away from this as quick as possible.

Well Larry definitely knew because it was his idea for Scott to enter and exit back through the crowd and not through the entrance way to make it seem legit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zendragon said:

might be more of an issue with this affecting WWE's business in China than bad US press

What's China's reaction to WWE's only Chinese wrestler being in a stereotypical "mystical dragon lady" angle?

WWE: if you're non-white, then that's your whole gimmick.  What do you mean it's 2021?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What's China's reaction to WWE's only Chinese wrestler being in a stereotypical "mystical dragon lady" angle?

There are two though both are involved. Is mystical dragon lady a normal gimmick in wrestling?

Just wait until they pair her up with a snob (Charlotte I'm looking at you) and use the language barrier to create all sorts of hilarious hijinks.

Then she can start spitting mist in people's eyes.

Then she starts the obligatory "I'm seducing the father of my rival" arc. Hi again Charlotte.

Finally, she is a vet who has been on the roster for a decade with between 0-3 title wins, and her gimmick is "I'm here to compete... and maybe win the tag titles (with Charlotte) randomly".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Just wait until they pair her up with a snob (Charlotte I'm looking at you) and use the language barrier to create all sorts of hilarious hijinks.

Then she can start spitting mist in people's eyes.

Then she starts the obligatory "I'm seducing the father of my rival" arc. Hi again Charlotte.

Finally, she is a vet who has been on the roster for a decade with between 0-3 title wins, and her gimmick is "I'm here to compete... and maybe win the tag titles (with Charlotte) randomly".

I really thought you were talking about Tajiri at first and now I'm sad we never got an angle where Tajiri tries to fuck Jamie Noble's dad.

• Haha 4

In news that will probably end up in 8 places on the board (when it is working....)

WWE president Nick Khan has been in talks with New Japan Pro Wrestling about WWE becoming NJPW's exclusive American partner.

Dave Meltzer reported in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter that talks regarding the potential partnership date back to March or early April, but there's no indication where the discussions are currently at. If talks go anywhere, the deal would include WWE sending talent, including top stars, to work in NJPW.

NJPW has normally worked with Ring of Honor as their American partner. During the pandemic, however,  NJPW has also formed relationships with All Elite Wrestling and Impact Wrestling. Yuji Nagata appeared earlier this month on AEW Dynamite and Satoshi Kojima appeared on this week’s episode of Impact Wrestling.

Meltzer wrote the following:

In what could end up being among the biggest wrestling stories of the year, or a non-story, depending on the end result, Nick Khan has been in talks with New Japan Pro Wrestling about WWE being the exclusive American partner with the promotion. Right now New Japan has been working with AEW (KENTA, Yuji Nagata, Rocky Romero and Ren Narita plus Jon Moxley working New Japan Strong) and Impact (Juice Robinson, David Finlay, El Phantasmo and Satoshi Kojima) and has had a relationship with CMLL and ROH, but things have slowed down with those companies since COVID.

Obviously there are a million questions regarding such a deal if it was to happen, and there are no indications where talks are at past they date back to late March or early April. But it would include WWE sending talent and WWE top stars being allowed to work in New Japan if talks go anywhere. With Khan, the former isolationist attitude of WWE vs. everyone is changing with the idea WWE is part of the wrestling landscape and not separate from the pro wrestling landscape. Obviously it’s also to keep New Japan, which pre-pandemic was the third strongest company in the world, away from working with other companies which could strengthen the opposition and also be a factor with WWE gunning for the same talent as other companies because there is a percentage of younger talent that grew up on watching New Japan either via tape or YouTube where working there is a much bigger part of their career goals than the prior generation, and AEW talent has been willing to allow its talent to work outside its walls and Impact would allow talent to work with other promotions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Yeah, I think Dave summed it up best, as I predictably have one million questions.

Same here. And now I know to avoid Twitter for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

I would almost consider just making one catch-all thread for all this discussion.  But all I'll say is I personally hope it doesn't happen as I get why they're doing this.  And for that fuck 'em.

• Like 3

WWE announced that Summerslam will officially take place on SATURDAY, August 21

The location will officially be announced during NBC's pre-Belmont Stakes race coverage on June 5

Many folks believe Summerslam will be in Vegas. One thing to note is that there is a rather large boxing card of note happening on Aug 21 in Vegas so... who knows

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The location will officially be announced during NBC's pre-Belmont Stakes race coverage on June 5

Many folks believe Summerslam will be in Vegas. One thing to note is that there is a rather large boxing card of note happening on Aug 21 in Vegas so... who knows

Really something for a WWE PPV to be on a Saturday. I support Saturday PPV's like AEW tend to be and UFC shows nearly always are. Better as they'll take place in the early hours of Sunday morning UK time, then you can get back to sleep than a show in the early hours of Monday morning and then you've got work.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Islanders new arena that's right next to Belmont Park is getting ready to open, if they're announcing the SummerSlam location during the Belmont there's a chance it's going to be at the new arena.

49 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

The Islanders new arena that's right next to Belmont Park is getting ready to open, if they're announcing the SummerSlam location during the Belmont there's a chance it's going to be at the new arena.

I was about to say the same thing. Long history of good Meadowlands cards, '97 SummerSlam was in the old building there IIRC

Yeah I’m really surprised they would do a stadium without any ancillary events. I was imagining a full blown wrestlemania week. If they’re just doing a one shot I doubt it draws more than like 20k, and that would make it harder for other companies to come in and piggyback. I guess we’ll find out next Saturday. 

49 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I was about to say the same thing. Long history of good Meadowlands cards, '97 SummerSlam was in the old building there IIRC

So is there going to be an NXT Takeover on the Sunday, or...? Because having a Saturday show and a Monday RAW while giving everyone Sunday off, doesn't seem a very McMahon-like play to me.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

So is there going to be an NXT Takeover on the Sunday, or...? Because having a Saturday show and a Monday RAW while giving everyone Sunday off, doesn't seem a very McMahon-like play to me.

Friday is Smackdown in Phoenix, Sunday a house show in Denver, Raw in San Diego. All within the general part of the country as vegas but very far away from each other. I think takeover is the week before or after? So its totally different from a WrestleMania week, or what they've done with the rumble.

I was looking forward to it being a big deal because Vegas is easy for me to get to and that would pretty much be my first time venturing out like that. I think I'll be comfortable by then.