DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

3 minutes ago, Goodear said:

It's funny but where people are from has no resonance to me anymore but hailing from a place used to tell you a lot about someone just from how it sounded. Cobb County sounds like a place with fat cops running speed traps so it fit so well. Now, I couldn't tell you where anyone is from because its all so generic. This kind of ties to the Hulk Hogan weight discussion from a few weeks ago, but no one seems to come from anywhere as interesting as Stone Mountain, Bucksnort or Seasonal Residences.

I think that was a late 90s-ish change where it just became where people were actually from, as opposed to like, Isaac Yankem from Decay-tur

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had no idea until just now that Isaac Yankem was billed from Decatur, Ill.  Holy shit, that's hilarious.   WWE would be in better shape if there attempts at comedy today were half as clever as that.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 2

Mance Warner is from Bucksnort Tennessee. As in, he actually is from there, as well as being billed from there.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm assuming that was the OP adding something by accident.  I know Alvarez just said on one of his shows that "they got a million" and nothing else.

All I know is that, in the next round of "let's murder suspension of disbelief for money corporate synergy," WWE is sponsored by John Wick 4 or Requiem for a Dream 2 so we can see wrestlers assassinated or OD in kayfabe.

Chucky's promo on Ric Steiner was ahead of the curve, time to critically reevaluate the last year of WCW ?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Another round of WWE firings todays, lot of the digital department let go.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/147171/another-round-of-firings-underway-at-wwe.html?p=1

Just so no one has to go to PWI

PWInsider.com has learned there are a ton of firings underway at World Wrestling Entertainment.

We are told that the digital department (which would include the WWE Network) has been extremely hard hit with Jaylar Donlan, WWE's Executive Vice President, Advanced Media Group, among those departing today.    Donlan had been with the company over eight years.  

There are said to be a lot of others who were let go today, to the point that multiple WWE staffers who survived the cuts have expressed their shock and surprise at how important some of the names have been.  There is a belief that some divisions may even be folded in together going forward.

This is a developing story and we will update as necessary.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Vince changing his mind like the weather Lol.  Wow his buyout probably wasn't cheap but when you are inking billion dollar TV deals it doesn't matter much. 

Meltzer said on week one of Virk on RAW that the one thing Vince won't tolerate is his announcers sounding completely clueless about wrestling (I am paraphrasing a bit here)

So I guess yesterday must have been a final straw

More from PWI

"WHY WWE MADE SO MANY CUTS TODAY

By Mike Johnson on 2021-05-25 12:56:00

As noted earlier today on PWInsider, WWE unleashed another round of firings and layoffs today with the WWE Network, production and digital sides all seeing heavy departures.

PWInsider.com has been told by multiple sources that a number of the divisions will be folded together under one division and will now be overseen directly by Kevin Dunn.  That is expected to be announced to staffers later today.

One of the reasons for so many departures is that over the last year, the company has determined there were too many redundancies across multiple departments in those areas.  One example cited to PWInsider.com is that there were two graphics departments, one for WWE TV production and one for digital and that they can easily be merged into one division, meaning the company could get that work done with a smaller group of staffers.

We are also told that the departures are a ripple effect of the company running under the pandemic, seeing that they can get by with far less across the board in terms of numbers.  One source noted that over the company history, they have shown they can "cut to the bone" if needed and still get things done and this is just the latest example of that.

As you can imagine, there are a lot of shellshocked employees, both those who exited today and those who remain, knowing they will have more responsibilities to deal with daily."

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said on week one of Virk on RAW that the one thing Vince won't tolerate is his announcers sounding completely clueless about wrestling (I am paraphrasing a bit here)

So I guess yesterday must have been a final straw

coulda fooled me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

... the one thing Vince won't tolerate is his announcers sounding completely clueless about wrestling (I am paraphrasing a bit here)

What was the name of that one announcer they had during the Hulkamania years who apparently couldn't name a single hold or throw and would always just shout "What a maneuver!"? I tell ya, man, that guy was clueless!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

we were recently discussing somewhere on this board how part of wrestling's appeal vs. legit sports is how the childhood period of "I wanna do that/I wish I could do that" lasts so much longer/is so much stronger since athletic/competitive ability is such a smaller slice of the pie and this comes to mind now because for me, as I've mentioned so many times, I became a fan because of Bobby Heenan at the broadcast booth.  My "I wanna do that/I wish I could do that" phase, such as it was, was focused on being something between the loudmouthed manager or the hilariously snarky broadcaster.

And so for me, the stories that scared me away from ever wanting to seriously entertain actually doing this thing I so enjoy watching was less the stories of the touring grind, or how hard the training is, or even the propensity for dying young.  It's how quickly it became obvious to me that the members of the WWE are so tightly micromanaged and bound by these weird, seemingly insane, piques and quirks that it was patently obvious that my "dream job" would immediately become a nightmare, that nothing that made the gig appealing would ever be possible for me to do it.  There is no getting to be Bobby Heenan, cracking off the cuff about someone being The Best President Since Noriega.

So I jest about "lol the broadcasters aren't supposed to sound clueless about wrestling?" but really, the real joke is that WWE match commentary is so impossible to navigate and thankless a job.  Can't use this word, must use that word, always call this person by X moniker.  Can't even use the word "wrestling" but must sound knowledgeable about wrestling.  "Don't sound clueless about wrestling"? How the hell are you supposed to do that when you can't say belt, title match, hospital, or call a guy by his first name? The only way to survive the minefield is to come across as an absolute tool that the audience is beyond tired of, like Michael Cole, and if you even dare attempt to raise any sort of constructive criticism or make some marginal adjustment to inject your own personal fluorish, well, we've all seen that famous clip of Cole getting reamed during the commercial break by now haven't we.

No wonder Mauro, every time he came back, immediately said Fuck This I'm Out right after he returned.

Why would, better yet how could, a sane self-respecting person endure that for any length of time?  Hard not to imagine Mr. Virk still being somewhere between "WTF" and "guess I dodged a bullet getting out of this nuthouse this fast" mentally.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

What was the name of that one announcer they had during the Hulkamania years who apparently couldn't name a single hold or throw and would always just shout "What a maneuver!"? I tell ya, man, that guy was clueless!

oh man there's some match from 94 where Vince either calls a Boston Crab a Camel Clutch or vice versa, and Macho Man starts to interject to correct him and you can all but literally hear the gears turn in Savage's head as he tries to figure out the right ego-massaging way to correct him before finally giving up and remembering it doesn't matter because this was like a month before Savage just left anyway

• Haha 1

Imagine if they'd got Mike Goldberg that one time (he stayed loyal to the UFC. Then they fired him because he wouldn't stop saying "Virtually Identical" and "And it's all over!"). Or if they'd actually paid attention to the UFC broadcasts and got Joe Rogan instead. That would have been brief but interesting, while it lasted.

Do they drug test announcers?

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, D.Z said:

PWInsider.com has been told by multiple sources that a number of the divisions will be folded together under one division and will now be overseen directly by Kevin Dunn. 

Jesus, imagine that staff meeting.

Dunn: Okay Bill, what are your thoughts?

Bill: Well Kevin, I think we...

Dunn: CUT TO JILL!

Jill: Uhhh, my idea is...

Dunn: GO FOR SAM!

Sam: Well you see..

Dunn: BACK TO BILL!

Bill: Um, what?

Dunn: DAVE!

Dave: ...

Dunn: CUT TO LISA!

One source noted that over the company history, they have shown they can "cut to the bone" if needed and still get things done and this is just the latest example of that.

Well sure.  Nothing makes a team do more with less than firing their coworkers, thus intimating that they'd better get the job done because anyone's expendable and they're lucky to have a job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Virk is a big Dan Lebatard guy. One thing Lebatard is great at is getting people to open up about "uncomfortable" subjects. May take a little time but I'm sure Virk will tell some interesting stories about the few weeks he was there.

• Like 2

I thought it was apparent for awhile now that Nick Khan would eventually be taking over, but Virk was a Khan guy and I know other Khan people from his agency were hired on as well. Given how mercurial Vince is, it wouldn't shock me if Vince were suddenly like, "this Nick Khan doesn't know this business and he's probably related to that other guy who runs A&E. He's fired!"

"Sir, it's AEW."

"You're fired too!"

• Haha 1

In all seriousness, the Virk/Khan connection was the first thing I thought of.  If Vince has no qualms about firing Khan's guy, Khan's in a pretty bad spot right now.  If nothing else, it sucks to be hired in a role like that and have the owner just do whatever he wants regardless.

Edited by Technico Support

39 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Did anyone catch Mauro calling the Omega/Swann match for the TNA title? I thought he sounded awesome and in great spirits, I hope he's able to pop up more often.

To each their own.  I muted the sound almost immediately to avoid Mauro.

• Haha 1