DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Random thought - why do so many long-haired wrestlers not tie their hair up for matches?

I’ve never really thought about it, until recently realising how stupid it looks. Surely it’s inconvenient. Especially when you have someone like Reigns who seems to mainly tie his hair up outside the ring, why would he decide to wear it down when going into a fight.

Is it a Vince thing that just became the norm or have wrestlers always done this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

Random thought - why do so many long-haired wrestlers not tie their hair up for matches?

I’ve never really thought about it, until recently realising how stupid it looks. Surely it’s inconvenient. Especially when you have someone like Reigns who seems to mainly tie his hair up outside the ring, why would he decide to wear it down when going into a fight.

Is it a Vince thing that just became the norm or have wrestlers always done this?

Goes back to the olden days. Helps with selling/conveying "motion" to the nosebleeds, was what I was told

• Like 2

Ah that makes sense. It’s a weird little thing that almost feels like it should totally kill kayfabe or suspension of disbelief, but I’d never really given it a second thought.

On the topic of hair, what about the Bret-style wet look? Would that be a similar ‘it helps the illusion’ explanation or do guys just think it looks cool?

37 minutes ago, Kev said:

Ah that makes sense. It’s a weird little thing that almost feels like it should totally kill kayfabe or suspension of disbelief, but I’d never really given it a second thought.

On the topic of hair, what about the Bret-style wet look? Would that be a similar ‘it helps the illusion’ explanation or do guys just think it looks cool?

I think that Bret said something like his hair looks like shit if he doesn't wet it down when he's wrestling. It gets curly and all over the place.

As far as the wet look nowadays, IIRC Rollins, Reigns and Ambrose used to do it so that it was harder for people to grab them when they did THe Shield entrance through the crowds. Jericho did it so that it looked cooler in ECW because he had kinda poofy rockstar hair. Paul E told him that the ECW crowd would eat him alive if he came in looking like that so he wet it down to get a more slick look. 

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Old school, you can call spots in the ring with your head down, and the fans can't see your lips move because of all the hair. That and the motion illusion.

New school, wrestlers grew up fans and want to emulate their childhood heroes. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

Old school, you can call spots in the ring with your head down, and the fans can't see your lips move because of all the hair. That and the motion illusion.

New school, wrestlers grew up fans and want to emulate their childhood heroes. 

Which made WWE cutting everyone's hair in the early 00s extra dumb.

• Like 3

As someone who recently grew their hair long for the first time I know I'd sure as shit tie it back if it was a legitimate competition. Makes a lot of sense why they wear it down though, something I never really thought about before.

Also I'm a day late but I'm glad I'm not the only person who remembers the May 19th stuff. I forget family birthdays and important dates but I'll always remember when See No Evil hit theaters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On the subject on hair, I heard recently (assuming it was Pillman Jr on AEW podcast) that the reason the mullet was so popular among wrestlers back in the day was because it had all the spot calling benefits of long hair in the back, while the short hair in the front kept the face clear for selling facial expressions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, matt925 said:
There’s no details in the story other than “summerslam in Nevada” but I’d assume that would mean raiders stadium in Vegas which I’d then assume would have a bunch of other companies running that week. If that’s the case I’ll be there. 

Context from Meltzer

SummerSlam 2021 may be headed to the Las Vegas area.

Dave Meltzer has confirmed that Allegiant Stadium in Paradise, Nevada is the leading candidate to host SummerSlam 2021. The stadium, which opened last year, is the home of the NFL's Las Vegas Raiders.

Sports Illustrated's Justin Barrasso reported on Thursday that SummerSlam will take place in Nevada this August, but the report didn't state which city or venue will be hosting the event.

On his Living The Gimmick podcast, Jon Alba reported earlier this month that Las Vegas was WWE's main target to host SummerSlam and WWE was hoping that the show would take place at Allegiant Stadium. Fightful also reported that Las Vegas seemed to be gaining a lot of steam as the choice for SummerSlam's host city.

Meltzer noted earlier this month that New York City's Madison Square Garden was being considered as an option to host SummerSlam.

Barrasso also wrote that July's Money in the Bank pay-per-view will be held in Texas. Andrew Zarian of the Mat Men Pro Wrestling podcast first reported that Money in the Bank will take place on Sunday, July 18 with a live audience. WWE is targeting mid-July for its return to running shows in front of live crowds.

Money in the Bank was originally set to take place in June before being moved to July. Hell in a Cell has instead been announced for Sunday, June 20 and is scheduled to be the final ThunderDome PPV before WWE returns to touring.

5 hours ago, Kev said:

Let me tell you... one of the worst possible things to happen when you're doing high intensity high emotion false finishes, is for a dude with long dry hair to cover you in a way where you swallow his hair by accident. You lose all immersion is story telling when you legitimately start choking down a foot of some dude's hair. It's only happened to me a couple times. But I have never panicked so bad in my whole career. For whatever reason that has never happened to me with a dude with wet down hair.

Pro tip, if they keep the wet down look throughout the whole match it's not water. It's conditioner. Water dries fairly quick. Condition stays slick for the entirety of the time it's in your hair.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think the hair was something that Triple H talked about, right after he shaved his head to be more corporately acceptable.

He said it helped with movement and motion. That taking a punch and being able to throw your hair around really sold the illusion.

Said it was also great for other guys to have some long hair to pull on in matches.

• Like 1

Good deal. Crowdbot 3000 has definitely ran its course.  25 cities indicates house shows returning too. Math and I are a struggle but from July 16 (a Friday) there's two TV tapings a week  so that's like 15 Raw and Smackdowns and maybe two PPVs in that time. I'm assuming NXT is gonna be in Orlando so I don't think that counts. 

On 5/19/2021 at 4:59 PM, twiztor said:

my buddy got married on May 19th a year or two after the Kane stuff happened. We did not let that go by unnoticed. We would call and just repeat "MAY 19TH", either in whispers or loudly. We'd text him "MAY 19TH". if he walked by while some of us were talking, we'd just say "MAY 19TH" repeatedly until he got close and then just clam up. we'd leave notes at his work, on his car, or at his parents' house. it was a lot of fun. probably less so for him.

Cheers for this mate.

On the subject of 19th of May, I had my second coronavirus vaccine dose!

• Like 13

On 5/18/2021 at 1:05 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Candido always had a rep as a great worker so what are some really good matches of his? The most I ever saw of him was the Bodydonnas, and nobody talks about that shit ever (probably for a reason, that was up there with the Dynamic Dudes as far as gimmicks go). 

Candido is what I would consider a holistic good wrestler (kind of like Ted DiBiase or Arn Anderson) where pointing you to a "good match" is wrong in a way? I would think you'd be better off grabbing matches in one  month chunks and watch for tendencies rather than to be blown away. It will be tons of really good and maybe not a ton of great but he's not always trying for great because he was working to his role a lot of the time.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This. Is. Amazing.

IPost image

I'm laughing so hard at some of these, like "well, not a million."

Tremendous.

Missing:

• Bryan tries to end the show...Dave starts a new subject and goes on for 5-15 more minutes.
  • "These guys could have a better match outside WWE"
  • Dave mentions PWG
  • Haha 1

It also needed something about Dave interrupts Bryan trying to move onto the Raw review to talk about someone from San Jose roller derby for the next 30 minutes. Or really starting any show off talking about someone few people have heard of for 30 minutes. Or asking Bryan if he knows what day it is.

I think the funniest is "Bryan, do you know what day it is?!" And Bryan is like, "yeah, it's the birthdate of my daughter. You were there and held her" only for Dave to go, "Oh...Well I was going to say it's the birthdate of suchandsuchobscureperson."'

EDIT: My god, I forgot "do you what today is" was the free space. That itself is brilliant.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

Speaking of Dave - he (and I am sure now others) say that the WWE is working out a deal with Speedball Mike Bailey.

The WWE is helping him working through his Visa issues