DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

They showed Book doing something with a bottle of Japanese shampoo? I never saw it before. There's A LOT of Book in WWE I haven't seen -- like the HHH feud.

Yes, that was a feud with Edge.

Did the NWA really announce Thunder Rosa in an "If you lose, you can't wrestle in other promotions any more" match?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Did the NWA really announce Thunder Rosa in an "If you lose, you can't wrestle in other promotions any more" match?

Yes.

The stip is ridiculous.  There should be a zero percent chance that Rosa would agree to give up AEW and her outside gigs, even in kayfabe.  So, naturally I expect her to lose.  

Could be some comedy in in it if she shows up in AEW under a mask and bills herself as Red River Jacqueline.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They showed Book doing something with a bottle of Japanese shampoo? I never saw it before. There's A LOT of Book in WWE I haven't seen -- like the HHH feud.

wasn't that the angle that set up the WrestleMania match against Edge?   

12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Booker said in something I'd read earlier today regarding that. Along the lines that he didn't think it was a big enough or an important thing to showcase in his life and career.

LOL WUT

I just looked up every Wrestlemania Booker was in and this was the most high profile match of all of them.  To reiterate, he worked the most important PPV of the year for a top title against a top guy and somehow felt it wasn't important? 

Not to Occam's Razor this thing but isn't it far far faaaaaar more likely that WWE suggested maybe A&E should leave that part out considering the current racial climate and how calling attention to a low-class race-based angle run by guys who are still in company leadership might not make them look too great? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Yes.

The stip is ridiculous.  There should be a zero percent chance that Rosa would agree to give up AEW and her outside gigs, even in kayfabe.  So, naturally I expect her to lose.  

Could be some comedy in in it if she shows up in AEW under a mask and bills herself as Red River Jacqueline.

The world's first ever "Loser stays in town" match.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

23 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Not to Occam's Razor this thing but isn't it far far faaaaaar more likely that WWE suggested maybe A&E should leave that part out considering the current racial climate and how calling attention to a low-class race-based angle run by guys who are still in company leadership might not make them look too great? 

That is kind of the only thing to come up with.  I mean it is certainly not a standards thing because they didn't have any problem implying that Randy savage was in a 3 some with an underage teen while with Gorgeous George

• Like 1

The pandemic basically killing this iteration of the NWA is a high-key bummer. They had something there where they could have shared talent and had a nice little studio show. They had some feuds and angles that I was really into (Edwards/Pope, Zicky Dice's improbable TV title run) and they had something with that Rosa/Kay series that got both of them more over while they were building up Kamille in the background as a killer. 

But yeah, I think it's dead. 

I occasionally catch MLW now, but that incarnation of the NWA was the thing that brought me back to weekly wrestling shows for the first time since NXT in early 2016, so I do have a soft spot for it, even if it didn't last very long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

The world's first ever "Loser stays in town" match.

Ron mentioned on the Studcast they did a “winner gets to return” match between two guys that had both lost loser leave town matches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

STOP BECOMING TOO BIG A STAR FOR MY NICHE TIME WARP FED: A Billy Corgan production

Special guest timekeeper James Iha, special guest ring announcer D’arcy Wretzky

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The pandemic basically killing this iteration of the NWA is a high-key bummer. They had something there where they could have shared talent and had a nice little studio show. They had some feuds and angles that I was really into (Edwards/Pope, Zicky Dice's improbable TV title run) and they had something with that Rosa/Kay series that got both of them more over while they were building up Kamille in the background as a killer. 

But yeah, I think it's dead. 

i feel the same way. i was very much enjoying the talent that pre-pandemic NWA had and the shows they were putting on. To lose SO much talent, plus your head (only?) writer (to the MeToo movement) is a tough thing to bounce back from. Replacing Eli Drake, James Storm, Ricky Starks with Tyrus and Chris Adonis? nothing against those guys, but i am a hell of a lot less interested. To follow that up with removing your content from YouTube and putting it behind a paywall? nah, i think i'm done unless something major changes.

also, the Question Mark was easily my highlight of the show. His passing still makes me sad. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Replacing Eli Drake, James Storm, Ricky Starks with Tyrus and Chris Adonis? nothing against those guys

I don't know if I'd go that far. Lots of skeevy people in wrestling, but only one has ever accepted payment for pretending Greg Gutfeld is funny. 

• Like 3

After watching a joshi match elsewhere on the board, I have to ask: Is there a specific reason why joshi wrestlers do that specific type of dropkick? The flat back bump version? It seems like every clip or gif I've seen has that instead of the missle dropkick you see male wrestlers do. 

4 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Special guest timekeeper James Iha, special guest ring announcer D’arcy Wretzky

Yeah, but halfway through the show, Corgan takes over for both of them saying they’re not doing their jobs good enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

also, the Question Mark was easily my highlight of the show. His passing still makes me sad. 

What? Nooooo! I mean Josephus dying was already terrible enough, now you are telling me that Question Mark has also passed. Mongrovia will never be the same again, sadly.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

What a crappy town that must be.

I did a show in Port Hueneme once. It was a pain in the ass to get there. I think Zoogz got us the venue.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1