DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Middle aged and crazy. One of the best Attitude Era matches. That would make for a fun topic of discussion. #1 by far for me is Steve Austin vs. Dude Love at Over the Edge 1998.

No mention of the bald guy in the teal shirt who got a face full of the Funker’s taint. 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 1:44 PM, Curt McGirt said:

So, I have now seen the Ric Flair Car Shield commercial during airings of: 

WWE 

Impact

AEW

ROH

Dark Side of the Ring

Has anyone seen it on MLW or Championship Wrestling from Hollywood yet? I might've seen it on either but forgot. 

I've seen them during CWFH episodes. Makes sense because the ring stuff is filmed where they record their stuff and NJPW Strong.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 4:59 PM, Craig H said:

Now, will the people on here and elsewhere take back their comments about people in AEW being thin skinned? (Not you, Niko.)

My guess is, probably not.

With how I worded it I wouldn't blame you if I was part of those you were referring to.  But considering Excalibur screamed "I am the table!"  on one of the early shows and Taz has referenced them there's never been a doubt that AEW is very cool with them. 

But now that that's done with it's time Send for the Khan and put a bow on this.  Man I love that show. 

clickbait.com sites are reporting that WWE thinks the Blood and Guts match set Wrestling back 30 years. Just think, if only it had set Wrestling back 45 years, Cornette would have loved it.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

clickbait.com sites are reporting that WWE thinks the Blood and Guts match set Wrestling back 30 years. Just think, if only it had set Wrestling back 45 years, Cornette would have loved it.

30 years, eh? Let me count... yup, that's pretty much exactly where I'd want it to be, so great job, Blood and Guts!

• Like 9

I just wrote in the Dynamite thread about how AEW is, despite some of their faults, carrying the mantle of the actual pro wrestling we grew up with.  If AEW is setting wrestling back 35 years and "modern wrestling" means nonsensical storylines, 50/50 booking, burning through characters and angles like a good meal on payday, endless rematches, and in general being a "content creator" first and being  a wrestling company somewhere around 11th, I'll take AEW thanks.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I listened to a clip of Cornette "reviewing" it, and yeah, it got close to what he wants, but not close enough. Said it was good until they started doing springboards and bringing in chairs (which he likened to "putting a hat on a hat").

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

I miss the tradition of people getting irrationally furious about the DVDVR 500.

Also, who covers wrestling and hadn't heard of any Toryumon guys in 2001?  Read a goddamn book.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AxB said:

The people who work at the company that just had goo pouring out of Alexa Bliss live on PPV can mind their own business and get their own house in order, please and thank you.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The people who work at the company that just had goo pouring out of Alexa Bliss live on PPV can mind their own business and get their own house in order, please and thank you.

My friend, you need to wrap your head around the fact that any content the #1 promotion deigns to beam to your eyeballs = modern wrestling.  If a 75 year old man whose brain is blown from too much coke, roids, and steak wraps decides a 30 year old woman dressed like a Toddlers and Tiaras participant doing magic IS MODERN WRESTLING, then that's the end of the argument.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 4

They ran an angle where Seth Rollins repeatedly tried to put Rey Jr's eye out and that culminated in a match where Seth jammed Rey's eye into the corner of the steps and they had a gimmicked eyeball hanging out.

But sure, Blood and Guts went WAY too far...

• Like 5

Also, from the sounds of it, it was maybe just one prominent exec or producer for WWE. Anyone want to take bets on who lacks that much self awareness to think that?

My money is on Bruce.

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Alexa Bliss bleeding goo coincidentally only puts back the wrestling business back 29 years.

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Alexa Bliss bleeding goo coincidentally only put back the wrestling business back 29 years.

I started looking at what WWE was doing 30 years ago and the year started with the Sgt. Slaughter bullshit and ended with signing Flair and then never doing a real Hogan program and I just gave up.

• Haha 2

If you told me somebody opened the briefcase and the Ironman Heavymetalweight Championship was inside, I would not be surprised. 

EDIT: And of course scrolling down the list of champions on Wiki, Asuka is one of them ?

Edited by Curt McGirt

My favourite DDT Ironman Heavymetalweight title change is how Suge D lost it to the entire live crowd at Americanrana '13. He did the "If you don't shut up, I'm leaving" schtick and the ref considered it a technical submission.

Then the fans started chanting We Deserve It, only there's no chairs or barriers, so the front row were pounding the mat instead of clapping. And that's a tap out, so Suge got the belt back. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6