DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

It is a little funny that when it went down AEW was almost immediately blamed for it.  Mostly un-deserved.  While AEW is extremely popular it is also recognized that AEW has some of the most thin skinned people in the business right now who would do shit like this.  

AEW was never to blame for this and it has absolutely zero to do with anyone there being "thin skinned." It has to do with the vendor they go through for their online content. They're overly aggressive with DMCA takedowns. I don't even know if it's a "they" to be honest, it may just be the vendor's algorithm that seeks this stuff out and issues takedowns when that content has been approved in the past. For example, this happened before with Maffew and TK basically had to personally revoke the takedown and approve of the content for Maffew and others on Twitter, like the one popular gif Twitter account. In fact, when Maffew showed last week that he had two strikes, it was basically another call out for TK to help him and then TK came through again.

It's only because YouTube fucking sucks that Maffew's channel got taken down. There was no reason to keep the strikes on him when the owner of the fucking company twice had to say that it was a mistake and YouTube kept the strikes on Maffew anyway.

Besides, YouTube has never been the main Botchamania channel. Have people really forgotten about all the accounts Maffew had to use in the past to get around WWE being dicks to him? No one remembers the actual videos for Botchamania being confined to a small rectangle on the bottom right side of the screen AND the video had to be mirrored so it could skirt around the stupid ass DMCA shit? The main go to for Botchamania always seemed like it was either Vimeo or Dailymotion. It was just that in recent months it was convenient for it to be on YouTube and without having the video play in a tiny window.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Robert s said:

There is a Danielson vs. Nakajima match that happened in 2008 ROH (Glory by Honor). There even was a NOAH house show match Danielson & Roderick Strong vs. Nakajima & Miyahara. Obviously, all are different wrestlers now, but still.

Thanks for the info man. Like you said though, there's a world of difference between the bland superkick-machine Miyahara was a decade ago and the super-worker he is today...

27 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I agree on them being thin-skinned about stuff like this.  I hope that as time goes on they'll thicken but who knows.

I do think that if his YT channel is down then he can always just link it to the other platforms.  I was surprised that he had it up without issue in the first place as his full-screen videos were normally taken down over the years.

Well, again, it doesn't have anything to do with anyone at AEW being thin skinned. It has to do with the company they go through for monitoring unauthorized use of their content.

4 minutes ago, Morganti said:

The botchamania/aew thing is because he had two strikes that came from aew earlier this week.  They supposedly cleared things up then his channel for bopped.

Yeah, exactly, and YouTube never bothered removing the strikes. I think this is more of a case of YouTube saying enough is enough and you've tried skirting around our rules long enough.

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Is there anything on YouTubeTV that you need that you wouldn't get on Sling?  It's cheaper and I definitely get ROH on Stadium.

I personally don't like Sling. It has never worked well for me and it's not nearly as user friendly as YTTV. We also share our YTTV account with my mom and my wife's nephew. We ran into problems doing that with Sling and that's not even allowed with Hulu TV.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I personally don't like Sling. It has never worked well for me and it's not nearly as user friendly as YTTV. We also share our YTTV account with my mom and my wife's nephew. We ran into problems doing that with Sling and that's not even allowed with Hulu TV.

That's cool.  I've never tried YoutubeTv, mostly due to my aversion to Google-owned properties in general as being part of a massive data-gathering-and-selling machine.  Yeah yeah I know everybody is doing it today.  Just let me be.  ?

Sling's decent on my RokuOS Smart TV, just some very minor interface qualms.  It out and out sucked when I was using an AppleTV for a while (no thumbnails for FFWD/rewind, can't start DVR'd programs while they're recording).  I do know they severely limit your concurrent streams, so that would definitely be an issue for those sharing logins.  

Edited by Technico Support

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Well, again, it doesn't have anything to do with anyone at AEW being thin skinned. It has to do with the company they go through for monitoring unauthorized use of their content.

I should have said it before but it's not an issue with AEW and Botchamania since it gets mentioned at times and a lot of the people like them.  The thin-skinned part I'm referring to is when stuff goes wrong and how some handle the feedback.  Which now that I think about it I should have just left that part out of the post.  But yes the Youtube stuff is a separate entity that needs to be addressed.

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I know I can find the Dark Side and Biography shows elsewhere but for convenience's sake figured to try Sling.  The Android TV interface is awful and won't let me play anything.  So after multiple attempts to fix it I had to Chromecast it from my phone instead.  It's not the worst thing to do but compared to YTTV it just doesn't hold up.  And to Tecnico's point I was going to consider literally anything else but there was always something about each one that didn't appeal to me.  I would if anything consider Fubo if they had TNT but that's not to be.  But I'm still looking around so hopefully there's something decent.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I should have said it before but it's not an issue with AEW and Botchamania since it gets mentioned at times and a lot of the people like them.  The thin-skinned part I'm referring to is when stuff goes wrong and how some handle the feedback.  Which now that I think about it I should have just left that part out of the post.  But yes the Youtube stuff is a separate entity that needs to be addressed.

I know I can find the Dark Side and Biography shows elsewhere but for convenience's sake figured to try Sling.  The Android TV interface is awful and won't let me play anything.  So after multiple attempts to fix it I had to Chromecast it from my phone instead.  It's not the worst thing to do but compared to YTTV it just doesn't hold up.  And to Tecnico's point I was going to consider literally anything else but there was always something about each one that didn't appeal to me.  I would if anything consider Fubo if they had TNT but that's not to be.  But I'm still looking around so hopefully there's something decent.

I think the long and short of it is that YouTube sucks and there appears to be little to no oversight for the vendors that companies use to issue takedown requests. That doesn't even touch on the type of shit YouTube decides to demonetize while other channels are still allowed to make money.

I thought Hulu TV was great and it was nice because I was already all in on the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package, but not being able to share your Hulu TV sub with multiple households sucks.

• Like 1

Macho documentary lost all credibility with me the second Bubba the shit sponge showed up on my TV. 

A guy who’s big claim to fame is getting thrown off radio for castrating a live pig on his show. 

A guy who also spent at least a decade burying Macho on his show with his buddy Hogan including a story they would bring up every time about Macho shitting himself at a gym supposedly. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I would if anything consider Fubo if they had TNT but that's not to be.  But I'm still looking around so hopefully there's something decent.

Fucking Fubo, man.  I had them for a while and everything was working fine until I found out one night last Summer they had dropped all Turner networks...and finding that out exactly 8pm on a Wednesday night. Nothing like furiously searching for a network that's not there anymore, like four times because you're sure you just missed it the first three times, Googling to figure out what's up and seeing a bunch of Reddit threads full of pissed off people, then signing up for Sling as fast as you can, all in the course of five agonizing minutes.

• Sad 4

I would have been really pissed off if that happened to me.  If I'm paying $65 or more a month for all those channels then I would think Turner networks would be on there.  But that's yet another example of how networks and carriers fight for money yet the real losers are the customers.  At least the one good thing with streaming services is how quick it is to cancel that shit and find something that works.  While inconvenient at least I'm not locked into a cable bill like I was in the past with Comcast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

While inconvenient at least I'm not locked into a cable bill

i cut the cord about 10 years ago. i said i'd be back once the cable companies wised up and offered ala carte programming. the rise of streaming makes that even more unlikely, so fuck 'em.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Streaming services ARE the ala carte offering.

at this point, they're the closest we're gonna get. i'm not complaining, just pointing out that if cable companies would have been proactive, they wouldn't be in the situation they're in now. subscription numbers have to be dropping year after year. and they still haven't put forward a plan to turn it around. ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Fucking Fubo, man.  I had them for a while and everything was working fine until I found out one night last Summer they had dropped all Turner networks...and finding that out exactly 8pm on a Wednesday night. Nothing like furiously searching for a network that's not there anymore, like four times because you're sure you just missed it the first three times, Googling to figure out what's up and seeing a bunch of Reddit threads full of pissed off people, then signing up for Sling as fast as you can, all in the course of five agonizing minutes.

You do know there's a free TNT app right?

• Like 1

Now, will the people on here and elsewhere take back their comments about people in AEW being thin skinned? (Not you, Niko.)

My guess is, probably not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been a while since I read Jericho's second book, so maybe he brought it up there, but has he ever tried to spin this as being a work?

http://web.archive.org/web/20021010031640/www.chrisjericho.com/commentary.htm

Because goddamn if it's not still hilarious. 

Well if you didn't like my match tonight, then you are out of luck if you're a Jericho fan, cause it was the best you're gonna get, jerky.  That was CJ at his finest.  Wrestling at it's finest.  A great 4 1/2 star performance

That's art right there. Wrestling at it's finest... 4 1/2 stars. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

AEW was never to blame for this and it has absolutely zero to do with anyone there being "thin skinned." It has to do with the vendor they go through for their online content. They're overly aggressive with DMCA takedowns. I don't even know if it's a "they" to be honest, it may just be the vendor's algorithm that seeks this stuff out and issues takedowns when that content has been approved in the past. For example, this happened before with Maffew and TK basically had to personally revoke the takedown and approve of the content for Maffew and others on Twitter, like the one popular gif Twitter account. In fact, when Maffew showed last week that he had two strikes, it was basically another call out for TK to help him and then TK came through again.

It's only because YouTube fucking sucks that Maffew's channel got taken down. There was no reason to keep the strikes on him when the owner of the fucking company twice had to say that it was a mistake and YouTube kept the strikes on Maffew anyway.

Besides, YouTube has never been the main Botchamania channel. Have people really forgotten about all the accounts Maffew had to use in the past to get around WWE being dicks to him? No one remembers the actual videos for Botchamania being confined to a small rectangle on the bottom right side of the screen AND the video had to be mirrored so it could skirt around the stupid ass DMCA shit? The main go to for Botchamania always seemed like it was either Vimeo or Dailymotion. It was just that in recent months it was convenient for it to be on YouTube and without having the video play in a tiny window.

Not to mention that AEW's music and video game channels had videos that were copyright striked by.... wait for it... AEW.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

It's been a while since I read Jericho's second book, so maybe he brought it up there, but has he ever tried to spin this as being a work?

There is no higher rating than 4.5 stars!

7 minutes ago, caley said:

There is no higher rating than 4.5 stars!

So is 6 stars the new 4.5 stars then...meaning Shingo vs Ospreay was only 4.5 stars?

And worth every star given, in my opinion, even if it was long as fuck.

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

You do know there's a free TNT app right?

You got to have a subscription to a valid service that includes TNT to watch anything via the TNT app.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

to be fair, has Meltz given anything Jericho's done more than 4 1/2 stars? Maybe 2002 Jericho just knew his ceiling.