MAY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling.

Two things that struck me about the Roddy doc: 

1. He was trained by Gene LeBell? 

2. He was one of the rare family men despite all the coke and booze

Two things that shouldn't have struck me about the Roddy doc:

1. Hogan still totally being a self-centered liar

2. Vince never being able to own up to his mistakes

• Like 3

One of my very favourites, Molly Holly dating back to her WCW debut as Miss Madness/Mona and I was 14:

• Molly Holly discussed having the time for her WWE Hall of Fame induction speech cut and WWE letting her give the full speech on YouTube:

It was awesome that Hurricane Helms was the one to tell me that I was going to be inducted in the Hall of Fame. The fact that he legitimately, for real, got choked up and was super proud of me, that was really special. I loved that moment. Behind the scenes, after that, I was told that I would have about 15 minutes to give a speech, so I spent a lot of time and had three friends of mine that are professional writers help me. I practiced it for 60 hours.  I have a regular 9 to 5 job, and after work every day, I would practice it while I was going for a walk. I worked really hard on it.

Then, a couple of days before, they said, ‘Oh, never mind. You actually have two minutes to give your speech.’ I cried for like four hours. A lot of times when I used to wrestle full time, they would tell us, ‘You have 12 minutes to wrestle, and then right before we walk out, they would be like, ‘Nope, nope, you have four minutes.’ We were so ready to tell a story of good vs evil, and give the fans their money’s worth, now it’s just entrances, two moves, and the match. It would be such a heartbreak

I think I took a lot of that resentment, or hurt, or whatever, from 20 years ago, and piled it on that moment when they cut my speech down. I was so sad, but, here’s the good news. The WWE made it right and they let me give my speech on their YouTube page, which is like 75 million people that can look at that. Sure, I was so hurt, and then I was so happy that they let me thank Dean Malenko and Lanny Poffo, and these people that really helped shape my career.  It’s been a roller coaster of emotions for me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I'm happy she got her time to shine at the end. Nobody has a bad thing to say about Molly and the way she made peace with the situation is inspiring. She just comes across as a good person. 

In full agreement. I LOVE Molly Holly. Here's her full Hall of Fame speech if anybody wants to revisit it or haven't seen it:

Wrestling and life needs more Molly.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

In full agreement. I LOVE Molly Holly. Here's her full Hall of Fame speech if anybody wants to revisit it or haven't seen it:

Wrestling and life needs more Molly.

verypoorchoiceofwords.gif

• Haha 4

Harley Race was already pretty much out of wrestling when i started watching. He had a run in WWF as "King" Harley Race, but never seemed to be worthy of his status as a legend. When he came back to manage Vader in WCW, he just seemed old and, again, didn't live up to the mythos.

It's a shame that WWE never put out a documentary (although there is one sold through Highspots that's decent). I assume that he's a beneficiary of so much more footage being available now than it used to be. What are some of the great Race moments from history?

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

Harley Race was already pretty much out of wrestling when i started watching. He had a run in WWF as "King" Harley Race, but never seemed to be worthy of his status as a legend. When he came back to manage Vader in WCW, he just seemed old and, again, didn't live up to the mythos.

It's a shame that WWE never put out a documentary (although there is one sold through Highspots that's decent). I assume that he's a beneficiary of so much more footage being available now than it used to be. What are some of the great Race moments from history?

Here's one for ya! Love this match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

It's crazy to me that Harley was only 48 when he started managing Luger in 91. 

Edit: especially compared to someone like Jericho, who's 51 right now. 

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 2

You ever have one of those moments where you're just sitting wonder why you even bother defending this shit anymore?

I did, after seeing this yesterday.

It's from GCW's latest offshoot, and this is having the same effect as the "Force Chokeslam" that made the rounds a few years ago in making me think that maybe it's time to put the indies out of its misery. The constant backflips in place while the guy with pink hair just sits in the chair like a moron just hacks me off and I can't even properly explain why. It's really got me thinking wrestling really HAS passed me by. Please advise.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

You ever have one of those moments where you're just sitting wonder why you even bother defending this shit anymore?

It's from GCW's latest offshoot, and this is having the same effect as the "Force Chokeslam" that made the rounds a few years ago in making me think that maybe it's time to put the indies out of its misery. The constant backflips in place while the guy with pink hair just sits in the chair like a moron just hacks me off and I can't even properly explain why. It's really got me thinking wrestling really HAS passed me by. Please advise.

Honestly, out of context, it's trash, but Chuck Taylor throwing grenades in CHIKARA worked for me entirely, so it's all in the context of the promotion.

I was totally into the Undertaker teleporting around the arena as a kid and Irish whips don't bother me at all, so clearly, I'm willing to accept anything if it fits the context of the promotion itself. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Honestly, out of context, it's trash, but Chuck Taylor throwing grenades in CHIKARA worked for me entirely, so it's all in the context of the promotion.

I was totally into the Undertaker teleporting around the arena as a kid and Irish whips don't bother me at all, so clearly, I'm willing to accept anything if it fits the context of the promotion itself. 

I mean, yeah, places like Chikara, you EXPECT goofy shit, but this just hacks me off so much. Might also have to do with how Speaking Out ended up ruining most of my Chikara memories and making me not want to associate with what it stood for, even in the good times.

I got some flack on Twitter for saying maybe it's time for the indies to die, but as an IWTV subscriber and a guy who went to over 50 shows in the past five years and saw the way things were declining in real time as WWE signed everyone in sight, I just... feel like maybe leave the memories alone?

3 hours ago, Super Ape said:

I think, for me, the crowd reaction ruins it.  A lot of fun can be had when a crowd is in on the work.  See, for example, the slow motion wrestling sequences.  Here, what ruins the entire sequence is that knob in the background shouting, "What the fuck?!  What the fuck?!" like he's watching the second coming of Muta.  Otherwise, this is in the same ballpark as guys who catch their opponents on dives, aforementioned Irish whips, etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

That spot isn't any more asinine than the people's elbow or the worm.

Or that Davey Richards/ Eddie Edward's superplex spot.

31 minutes ago, nate said:

Or that Davey Richards/ Eddie Edward's superplex spot.

I hate that spot because it's in the middle of what is supposed to be a TRU SPORTS contest. It broke the whole illusion of that.

If it were in a match between two comedy wrestlers who were parodying those mid-'00s "real wrestling" types, it'd be great. 

Which I think just goes to my (and from what I can tell, most of our) points. 

2 hours ago, Super Ape said:

I got some flack on Twitter for saying maybe it's time for the indies to die, but as an IWTV subscriber and a guy who went to over 50 shows in the past five years and saw the way things were declining in real time as WWE signed everyone in sight, I just... feel like maybe leave the memories alone?

Hey, you're talking to a dude who hasn't watched a match from after 1994 in literally three years outside of any of those "give a match, watch a match" threads that I've participated in here, so I would personally suggest that you save your money on current indie wrestling and spend it on '80s sets. 

• Like 1

That spot, to me, is no different than when any other wrestler does a handspring elbow. Comparing that to the phantom chokeslam or Chuck Taylor throwing grenades is crazy talk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

That spot isn't any more asinine than the people's elbow or the worm.

My initial reaction was to compare it to Dusty doing his hand gestures before hitting the final elbow smash. Wrestlers showboating while their opponent sells being dazed is nothing new.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Stupidest thing in that clip is the recipient adjusting himself in the chair. We can tell you're not all that out of it.

Move was whatever. 

I think that's what took me out of it more than anything. Honestly, if he moved out of the way and dude just kept flipping to the wall I probably would have laughed my ass off.

• Like 2

The thing that took me out of it and made me feel bad for everyone was that the guy doing the flips was clearly stuck in one spot for a few seconds and couldn't make any progression towards his opponent.