DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/28/2021

9 hours ago, EVA said:

I think they’re just heating up Cage so Christian can beat him and jump up in the rankings and challenge Kenny at DoN or one of the summer specials.

I honestly think we're building to a big tag match at Double or Nothing with the Elite Bullet Club Squad or Whatever on one side and Mox, Kingston and whoever else on the other side. 

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

That was a nice additional touch by Darby Allin. Bret Hart has two of the most memorable finishes ever, the Sharpshooter to a bloodied Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 and countering Piper's Sleeper at WrestleMania VIII. Amazing how the latter finish is still used now.

Additionally, their match at Survivor Series 96 has a brilliant call-back to that same spot with the near finish of Bret being in the Million Dollar Dream. Now I need to go rewatch it again. ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

I've seen a lot of comment about LOL Cody did a figure 4 on a bus! But I've thought about it, and surely there's something to be said about not throwing a man to his death and just hurting his leg a bit instead, isn't there? Sure, he betrayed him, but maybe while he was up there Cody thought about it, and considered the options, maybe didn't fancy murdering a man on TV. Cody is a noble, and honourable man. 

Noble and honorable? Pish-tosh, my good man.

Poor QT would have to suffer the indignity and agonizing pain of having to climb down on that bad leg!

It was Machiavellian.

• Like 1

Cody had his bus stolen, no less. He had to scrimp and scrape to afford that bus, he is the humble grandson of a plumber. 

but I wonder if Cody was in fact on board the whole time. Was he in one of the sleeping compartments having a kip, and woke up in Jacksonville? You can understand why he’d be cranky. 

Or was this a case of Cody buying himself a bus with his tattoo on the side, and Tony seeing the writing on the wall just went straight up to him and said “yes... you can drive it into some bins on TV if you want”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/29/2021 at 5:48 PM, Domino_Not_Deuce said:

They want to kick the shit out of Omega and, I assume, their plan is to kill Nakazawa and then take apart Omega.

So they decided not to beat up Omega so they could instead have the opportunity to beat up Omega next week? Machiavellian geniuses, these guys.

Plus, Kingston isn't in the rankings so maybe he's thinking that beating Omega in this tag match will get him there?

If the end goal is a title shot for Kingston, why not just demand that? Kingston of all people should know you don't need to be ranked to get a title shot.

I'm not saying it makes sense but it makes wrestling sense and that's enough.

That's a reasonable principle, but I'm unconvinced this even made wrestling sense.

13 hours ago, eikerir said:

That finish to the Darby/10 match is probably the most convincing Bret vs. Piper/Austin pin i've seen with the extra hook of the leg Darby did. Good stuff.

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

That was a nice additional touch by Darby Allin. Bret Hart has two of the most memorable finishes ever, the Sharpshooter to a bloodied Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 and countering Piper's Sleeper at WrestleMania VIII. Amazing how the latter finish is still used now.

3 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Additionally, their match at Survivor Series 96 has a brilliant call-back to that same spot with the near finish of Bret being in the Million Dollar Dream. Now I need to go rewatch it again. ?

Indeed, Hart/Austin using the WrestleMania VIII finish. Austin brought back the Million Dollar Dream because the Stone Cold Stunner didn't put Bret down. The Stunner was still protected as Austin lost crucial seconds dragging Bret away from the ropes. It's a ***** match but it tends to be overshadowed by Hart/Austin's Submission match from WrestleMania 13 which is probably my pick for greatest wrestling match ever. Austin/Rock at WrestleMania X-Seven recreated the Hart/Piper finish but this time the Rock kicked our.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mr Harms said:

“yes... you can drive it into some bins on TV if you want”

See I was wondering how they disabled the air bags for the truck that Mox and Kingston ran into the OTHER bus on Dynamite. Then again it is Florida, I'm sure there's a good market for stolen airbags or a "no airbags" option when you buy a vehicle.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

He's been having great matches so far, but I've kinda gotten to the point where I want Darby's opponents to win instead of him retaining (with some exceptions). I'm not entirely sure if it's me thinking he's better at doing the chasing, or what exactly, but I'm ready for someone new to get elevated. Not Ethan or Scorpio, though, I would have pulled the trigger on either Silver or 10.

They want to kick the shit out of Omega and, I assume, their plan is to kill Nakazawa and then take apart Omega. Plus, Kingston isn't in the rankings so maybe he's thinking that beating Omega in this tag match will get him there? I'm not saying it makes sense but it makes wrestling sense and that's enough. Wrestling sense also drove Cody Rhodes to lock in a submission on the top of a bus instead of throwing QT off to the concrete below but both things looked cool so it doesn't matter.

Cody's a gloryhorse not a murderer.  The Figure 4 on the top shows he's got control of the situation.  He's trying to beat sense into Cutie, not kill him.  They've got a wrestling school to run.  

Re: Omega-Kingston/Moxley
The King and the Mox have such great rapport with this audience that I think most overlooked this ridiculous segment.  I liked imagining while watching that how a live audience would have dumped all over it.  They are supposed to be bad asses.  Nothing bad ass about holding the champion hostage so they can get him in the dreaded 'tag match'!  Further, they completely failed to beat Kenny down enough that he would just be lying there.  *Insert Deadlock's Tony Khan promo impression*