DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/28/2021

1 hour ago, punkenhead said:

I have to wonder if the Cage win leads to him challenging Omega for the belt at DON. Omega agrees, but only if it is title vs. "title". Omega wins and collects another belt for his Ultimo Dragon start-up kit. 

That's a really cool idea. Logical way to further his split from Team Taz too.

3 hours ago, punkenhead said:

I have to wonder if the Cage win leads to him challenging Omega for the belt at DON. Omega agrees, but only if it is title vs. "title". Omega wins and collects another belt for his Ultimo Dragon start-up kit. 

Nice idea 

I believe Orange Cassidy should be currently ranked #1 after his win over Penta. Cage will likely be in the top 5, but I don't think he's going to automatically shoot up to #1.

EDIT: But there's still a month unitl Double Or Nothing, so anything is possible of course.

Edited by Casey

Didn't catch much of this show live other than the Cage bout but from YT clips .. Bucks make glorious heels. That transformation is one of AEW's best creative decisions. Execution has been perfect so far. Kip is lame and a terrible actor so its a shame he gets the Miro rub in a segment-heavy program .. but some sort of weird Ramsay Bolton/Reek retread could be interesting, I guess? Austin Gunn performing & dressing like someone with the child mind of Karate Kid but an adults body probably best done away with .. face Cody equally sucks, hope this (so far decent) storyline does not become a gaping black-hole in the show with him cosplaying his favourite superhero-face act. Saw it was a pretty big ratings drop off week (c. 40% drop from 1st week unopposed to 3rd week).

Edited by A_K

RE: Omega/Cage concept at top of page .. very easy narrative to run. Tazz said on commentary at end of Page bout "you could say that was an upset" .. have Omega call out Cage as part of his belt-hunter gimmick, have Cage chomping at bit to take title but have Tazz reticent at Cage being an under-dog and fearful at Team Tazz not being able to carry another publicly significant loss so soon after Sting/Darby & Christian refusal .. Cage takes the bout anyway, is uber-competitive and almost wins but loses due to some interference-gone-wrong from Tazz. You then turn Cage face and initiate break up. Job done.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, punkenhead said:

I am not the biggest proponent of giving Taz's vanity title any sort of legitimacy, but this is not a half bad idea.

38 minutes ago, eikerir said:

That finish to the Darby/10 match is probably the most convincing Bret vs. Piper/Austin pin i've seen with the extra hook of the leg Darby did. Good stuff.

That was a nice additional touch by Darby Allin. Bret Hart has two of the most memorable finishes ever, the Sharpshooter to a bloodied Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 and countering Piper's Sleeper at WrestleMania VIII. Amazing how the latter finish is still used now.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

It's so nice watching a promotion where the bookers aren't constantly asking "how do we book our way out of this match and keep both guys strong?"  Like, if you need to keep asking that, just don't book the fucking match.  Cage pinned Hangman pretty much cleanly and it was shocking and  exciting.  It's awesome that people were wondering, "how will they keep Page and Omega apart for long enough so Page can get his shot months from now?"  when the obvious answer, which we didn't ever consider, was just to go ahead and beat Page?  I swear to God we've all been ruined by WWE's shit booking, to the point where, when we consider how another company will book something, we do it through a WWE lens instead of considering something sensible and different.  Say what you want about AEW but they do know when to just keep it simple.  Page loses nothing by getting beaten here and bookers who worry about top guys doing jobs are just shit bookers with no faith in their ability to book.  With good reason.

Hey, here's Mr. Greatest Promo Today MJF dropping more smarky smark bullshit.  If this is supposed to be a real sport, why would Jericho feel pressure over not drawing and therefore hurting other wrestlers' earnings potential?  Then MJF talks about Jericho being a draw and wanting to take his spot.  OMG fuck all this.  I can make up reasons why a wrestler would care about another wrestler being a draw, bringing in "lapsed fans," and making the promotion prominent, but it still feels like bullshit.  I never saw another NFL player thanking Tom Brady for being a draw.  Sorry, friends, but this is some Russo-ass bullshit MJF is putting out there every week.  The rest of the West Side Story Promo Battle was cool, I suppose.  But god damn, "I want to beat you because I hate you" is so much better than "I want to beat you because I want your spot in the company."  And FUCK, let's please stop with "the company."  Please.

The entire Elite is a bunch of arrogant, chickenshit heels and it's wonderful.  I loved Kenny talking a bunch of phony brave bullshit, then shitting his pants when he heard a horn.  Likewise, "break his ankle, he knew what he signed up for" was the ultimate chickenshittery.  Loved it.

I wish Cutler would have cold sprayed Sydal's balls just to be considerate.

I swear to god 75% of JR's commentary is just yelling out vague shit (CAR CRASH!) he could say in any match and I'm not totally convinced TK didn't just just rip sound assets from an old PS2 Smackdown disc he got for 3.99 at Gamestop.

Is Statlander's makeup supposed to look like lizard skin under human skin like something out of "V?"  I hope so.

AEW continues to eschew the invisible camera, as Kip is pursued by a cameraman on the way to see Miro.

I really get the feeling we weren't supposed to see Cody waiting for QT inside the bus.  

Looks like a damn fine card they're setting up for next week.

I'd love to see SCU win the belts, keep their breakup stip going, then the Bucks cheat to win them back and break up the team a week later.

SCU coming out to announce they're the #1 contender, then work a top contenders match next week, makes zero sense.  Also, I'd feel SCU's stip more if they got more high-profile, close wins on Dynamite.

Damn, I was buying 10 possibly winning the belt on Page's interference.  This company has built a lot of good faith on booking matches, as mentioned earlier, where you know you're getting a finish and they don't feel like top guys need to be protected at all costs.

Re: the Jade thing.  Yes, please have this end in "I don't need a manager, fuck all you guys."  The last thing I need in AEW is another manager.

LOL @ Cody executing a FIGURE FOUR on top of a bus.  I guess QT didn't want to do a Shaggy 2 Dope memorial bus bump.  Man, that bus is fucking ridiculous, by the way.  There's some joke in there about taking from January 6 until this week to drive that thing from DC to Jacksonville but I'm still workshopping it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I swear to god 75% of JR's commentary is just yelling out vague shit (CAR CRASH!) he could say in any match and I'm not totally convinced TK didn't just just rip sound assets from an old PS2 Smackdown disc he got for 3.99 at Gamestop.

Is Statlander's makeup supposed to look like lizard skin under human skin like something out of "V?"  I hope so.

JR paragraph made me laugh.

As for the second, David Icke!

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, if you take a look at her walk-in video on the big screen, it looks like Kris's facepaint is supposed to look like Diana's alien reveal from V.

I'm glad she's not shaving her eyebrows off anymore to achieve her extraterrestrial look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, if you take a look at her walk-in video on the big screen, it looks like Kris's facepaint is supposed to look like Diana's alien reveal from V.

Cool.  I also just realized she's wearing a contact on the same side as the makeup.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's so nice watching a promotion where the bookers aren't constantly asking "how do we book our way out of this match and keep both guys strong?"  Like, if you need to keep asking that, just don't book the fucking match.  Cage pinned Hangman pretty much cleanly and it was shocking and  exciting.  It's awesome that people were wondering, "how will they keep Page and Omega apart for long enough so Page can get his shot months from now?"  when the obvious answer, which we didn't ever consider, was just to go ahead and beat Page?  I swear to God we've all been ruined by WWE's shit booking, to the point where, when we consider how another company will book something, we do it through a WWE lens instead of considering something sensible and different. 

Unclear what these questions have to do with WWE. If this was taking place there, they'd have wrestled four times in the last six weeks and traded the belt twice. I don't think anyone is viewing this through that lens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "WWE lens" thing, for me, originated in discussions here about Full Gear from last year, in two matches specifically.  The first was the Bucks vs FTR where the Bucks stipulated they wouldn't get any more shots if they lost.  Lots of people here were operating under the idea that FTR hadn't had the belts long enough to lose them, so they were trying to figure out how they'd get out of the stip and the match.  The second was the Mox/Kingston I Quit match, where many here were trying to figure out how they'd get out of it because clearly Kingston had to be kept strong.  It was like "just book a fucking winner" was a foreign concept.  Like 20 years of shit WWE booking have conditioned some to assume that big matches can't have clear winners and losers because everyone at a set level needs to be kept strong.  Like any time two top guys wrestle, clearly the company has booked itself into a corner and a screwjob is imminent. 

EDIT: speaking of cheap ways to get out of having a clear winner...has AEW had a 3 way match yet?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'd love to see SCU win the belts, keep their breakup stip going, then the Bucks cheat to win them back and break up the team a week later.

I get that the SCU story as it has been presented logically should climax with a tag title match, but I think that Scorpio and his new buddy Page ending SCU would be a great story and add to Scorpio's heel cred.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

EDIT: speaking of cheap ways to get out of having a clear winner...has AEW had a 3 way match yet?

Allin vs Janela vs Havoc in the Cracker Barrel thingy.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I get that the SCU story as it has been presented logically should climax with a tag title match, but I think that Scorpio and his new buddy Page ending SCU would be a great story and add to Scorpio's heel cred.

Speaking of that, was there ever an angle,promo, etc. where Kaz and Daniels discussed their partner quitting SCU to go single and later turning heel?  PLEASE NOTE: if it didn't happen on Dynamite, the answer is no.  ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

The "WWE lens" thing, for me, originated in discussions here about Full Gear from last year, in two matches specifically.  The first was the Bucks vs FTR where the Bucks stipulated they wouldn't get any more shots if they lost.  Lots of people here were operating under the idea that FTR hadn't had the belts long enough to lose them, so they were trying to figure out how they'd get out of the stip and the match.  The second was the Mox/Kingston I Quit match, where many here were trying to figure out how they'd get out of it because clearly Kingston had to be kept strong.  It was like "just book a fucking winner" was a foreign concept.  Like 20 years of shit WWE booking have conditioned some to assume that big matches can't have clear winners and losers because everyone at a set level needs to be kept strong.  Like any time two top guys wrestle, clearly the company has booked itself into a corner and a screwjob is imminent. 

Fair enough. I'm not seeing a WWE thing here. Fifteen years ago I remember people who largely avoided WWE twisting themselves into knots whenever ex-WWE guys like Angle would get squared up against a guy like Samoa Joe who TNA had to "keep strong." I've seen New Japan fans twist themselves up over how it's a mistake to put Naito in the main event of a Dome show if they're not going to have him win the big one and be crowned the guy. To my eye, it's just a conversation that wrestling fans in general have and those are the dynamics many of them think in terms of. Many wrestling fans are just like this, even if you think they're worse off for it. I don't think it's fair to paint people's perspectives as being "ruined by WWE," when I've seen conversations like this happen over and over in circles where WWE is largely reviled and its shortcomings are spoken of loudly and with great enthusiasm. 

To the question posed in your edit, the tag title match at the first Full Gear was a three way. 

• Like 2

I've seen a lot of comment about LOL Cody did a figure 4 on a bus! But I've thought about it, and surely there's something to be said about not throwing a man to his death and just hurting his leg a bit instead, isn't there? Sure, he betrayed him, but maybe while he was up there Cody thought about it, and considered the options, maybe didn't fancy murdering a man on TV. Cody is a noble, and honourable man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What if Cody goes for the figure four, QT kicks him in the ass and he falls off the back of the bus. They cut to dead Cody on the ground. QT thinks WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

Then Cody shows up in a back brace next Dynamite and challenges him to a Monster Truck match. 

EDIT: I keep writing EG instead of QT. Of course EG Marshall was the actor who played one of the dads in Christmas Vacation and the evil businessman in the end of Creepshow. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1