DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/28/2021

Hangman/Cage was a really good one-sided match.  Cage was really aggressive and it really felt like Hangman was fighting from behind the whole match and just never could get even after the pre-match attack.  I think a lot of guys in Hangman’s spot would’ve made the mistake of trying to do too much to save face.  Showed a lot of confidence in himself (and whatever the long-term plan for him is) to give himself up like that.

• Like 10

First singles loss for Hangman since Full Gear. He can take it, but if they wanted to use it as the basis for holding off on his title match then they finally have a reason that makes sense. Cage would be the first legitimate bump in the road he's run into in months. 

Bucks should have turned heel ages ago. They've always been better leaning into their natural obnoxiousness. Do any shoe freaks have a scouting report on their footwear tonight? I'm assuming they weren't nearly as expensive as the Dior.

Three Darby TV main events in a row was a good idea. Really hammer into people's head that Darby is a tippy-top guy. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Sonny Onoo taking selfies or we riot!

There were at least a couple old Nitros where Onoo was taking selfies on a disposable camera and just gave the camera to a fan so I wonder if there's some nerd out there with this random Onoo/Ultimo Dragon picture and it's his secret wrestling treasure.

• Like 8

I guess having the heels always win the War Games coin toss is sorta dumb. The heel team saying "We want the advantage" and the face team saying "Sure, whatever!" seems much dumber.

Loved Penta vs. Orange as two ridiculous acts just bouncing off of each other.  The start of the match was not great, but it got a lot better!

Enjoyed Darby trying that British "grab my own leg to break a full nelson" counter and it just not working, presumably because 10's arms are stronger than Darby's legs.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Schiavone said that Nick Cocomo reminded him of a cross between Bruiser Brody and Billy Jack Hayes so I’m still the only one who sees Hercules Hernandez 

He looked like Billy Jack with those tassels tonight. But I still see Dr. Death.

Another good show for the most part. Cage vs. Hangman was a good one sided match. I was surprised Cage won. I was afraid he was starting to get caught up in the mix and was becoming another guy. Brian Cage (gotta specifiy which Cage with Christian in the company now) vs. Omega would be an interesting match. They must be saving Kenny vs. Hangman for All Out. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

I still don't get the Nightmare Family vs. The Factory feud. Without Cody and Dustin this should be strictly a feud for AEW Dark and Elevation. I do like how they are building Ogogo with that punch of his as a death move though. But Cody needs to figure out a loophole so he can put himself into the World title picture like he obviously wants to all ready.

It sucks we're gonna see SCU break up as a team when they don't win the tag titles. Mox/Kingston have to be the eventual challengers at Double or Nothing though.

Darby is on a hell of a roll. Cody might just end up being the guy to dethrone him if my above theory doesn't happen.

I'm surprised we're getting so many other matches next week. I could understand the Mox/Kingston match and maybe Cody vs. QT. Why SCU needs a qualifier match if they all ready are the number 1 ranked team...i don't know.

Overall not a bad show as usual.

21 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

It sucks we're gonna see SCU break up as a team when they don't win the tag titles.

SCU was stale in ROH four years ago and at this point incredibly cringe. CD has lost many steps and if he still wants to work should be in the Dustin role or working with projects on Dark imo. That CIMA singles match from I think 2019 on an early Dynamite episode was just sad.

They keep bringing together Sting, Darby, and Archer. Does Kaz join Ego and Scorpio after he inevitably turns on Daniels following next week's loss? Or is Sting over working matches after saying he was feeling the Revolution taped brawl for a while? Kazarian is solid but I don't see a great deal of upside as a singles act at this point in AEW where the talent pool is so deep, but not sure shoehorning him in with Scropio and Page makes sense either. 

I enjoy how Darby is having to get more and more ruthless and rely on desperation tactics to win matches as the grind kicks in. That's very solid stuff. I wonder if Sting says anything. 10 getting so close with his finish locked in and the title within touching distance only for it to get yanked away was a really good finish for a babyface/babyface match (shout out to Bret/Piper) with the bigger guy also in the underdog role. I'm interested to see how this one does in the ratings with most of the big names not in action and featuring 10 in the main event. Guy has some potential but I think he's gotta drop the mask.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Enjoyed Darby trying that British "grab my own leg to break a full nelson" counter and it just not working, presumably because 10's arms are stronger than Darby's legs.

That was great. It looking like Darby was going out on the full nelson after that was the most convincing false finish of his title reign. They built 10 up during the show and the announcers were selling Darby's schedule hard. It all amounted to something semi-convincing, when coming in I felt nothing for Pres10. Getting me to even consider it on a challenger like 10 is real good stuff.

30 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I enjoy how Darby is having to get more and more ruthless and rely on desperation tactics to win matches as the grind kicks in. That's very solid stuff. I wonder if Sting says anything.

Oh, on Darby's side it's fantastic. I just wish he wasn't chumping out other babyface prospects on consecutive shows. Darby comes out smelling like roses though. He's nailing everything these days. Depending on how I feel about FTR on whatever day you'd ask me, Darby is the clear best worker in the company. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

Enjoyable show.

Page/Sky have go away heat with me. Not sure its who I would have had Sting give the rub to but hey we'll see where it goes I guess.

Are they telegraphing the finish to Blood and Guts being a repeat of WW91 with Sammy as Pillman and Wardlow as Sid? Looking forward 5o it. Great promos all round. Dax's especially. 

Feel like the time is right to inject Cody into the Elite stuff. Think best way would be having him accidentally cost the Bucks the tag titles to Comoroto and Agogo....mostly because I want that tag team wrecking everyone, and I want the Elite stuff in one neat little fast forward package. 

Interested to see where the Cage and Page stuff goes next week. I hope it's Cage and Page vs Cage and Page.

• Like 1

Yeah, the opening result was the right kind of surprise booking. Both look good coming out of it, even though Page never got going. Loved one bit of Taz commentary when Page went up for the Moonsault, "big mistake! Big mistake!" page hits it beautifully, "awww, not a mistake" ?

Alex Abrahantes is so so good as the hyper little nerd and really adds something to Penta's presentation. Interesting to see Penta break out some power moves, liked it! Where's Chucky T?? 

I was laughing out loud this morning at Matt Jackson's expression after the dick punch! So good! There's something so satisfying about remorseless low blows. 

Apologies that I can't remember who, but someone here compared Miro to the ruthless mob boss who hangs out at raves and that is such a perfect description. The way he kept calling Kip "mate" as he destroyed him was *chef's kiss* 

• Like 4

So one of my friends on the Dynamite Discord is IRL friends with Kip Sabian. We all persuaded him to send him a "Bro, you OK?" text afterwards. And Kip texted back immediately saying "I'm going to be taking so many bumps for the next few months".

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

I really enjoyed the show, as I usually do, But special note has to be given to Don Callis' line  of '6 Grown men in the backseat of a Limo , it doesn't get any better than this!' because that might be the most legitimately funny line on a pro wrestling show in ages.

Edited by Freudian_Slap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Freudian_Slap said:

I really enjoyed the show, as I usually do, But special note has to be given to Don Callis' line  of '6 Grown men in the backseat of a Limo , it doesn't get any better than this!' because that might be the most legitimately funny line on a pro wrestling show in ages.

That whole segment was good but definitely that was the highlight. They looked so uncomfortably crammed in there, lol. The Bucks going over the top with the heel shit and making Cutler their over the top young boy makes me happy. They are clowning right now but I can't wait to see them bump for Mox and Kingston. 

• Like 1

I really liked the show.  Even if it wasn't as freaking amazing as last week's was there was still quite enough to enjoy.

I won't go over the same points made previously but I love Matt not only doing the Johnny Cage dick punch but nerdy-as-all-hell Tony Schiavone pointing it out.  I also got a huge kick out of Orange tossing the sunglesses and when Trent didn't catch it he just stood there.  And when they zoomed in on him and his try-not-to-laugh face I had a hearty laugh at that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That whole segment was good but definitely that was the highlight. They looked so uncomfortably crammed in there, lol. The Bucks going over the top with the heel shit and making Cutler their over the top young boy makes me happy. They are clowning right now but I can't wait to see them bump for Mox and Kingston. 

I just realized that the Bucks are re-doing the match that got them beaten into my heart- Young Bucks vs Super Dragon/Kevin Steen street fight.

• Like 3