DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling "Rebellion" PPV - 4/25/21

Coming up this Sunday

Impact Wrestling Rebellion 2021 - April 25, 2021

IMPACT WORLDS CHAMPIONSHIP / AEW WORLDS CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE vs TITLE MATCH (with guest commentary by Mauro Ranallo and 1 ref from each company)
Rich Swann(c) vs. Kenny Omega(c) (w/ Don Callis)

IMPACT KNOCKOUTS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Deonna Purrazzo(c) vs. Tenille Dashwood (w/ Kaleb)

IMPACT WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
FinJuice (David Finlay & Juice Robinson)(c) vs. The Good Brothers (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson)

IMPACT X DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Ace Austin(c) (w/ Madman Fulton) vs. TJP vs. Josh Alexander

IMPACT KNOCKOUTS TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Fire N Flava (Kiera Hogan & Tasha Steelz)(c) vs. Jordynne Grace & Rachael Ellering

LAST MAN STANDING
Sami Callihan vs. Trey Miguel

Violent By Design (Eric Young (injured), Joe Doering, Deaner, & Rhino) vs. Eddie Edwards, Chris Sabin, James Storm, & Willie Mack

Brian Myers vs. Matt Cardona

I guess this is the PPV that decides whether getting in bed with AEW was really worth it.   I seriously doubt  Omega is losing to Swann but at least Finlay/Robinson should beat the Good Brothers who are basically an AEW team now.    Also whether there are any buys to this PPV especially since AEW did almost nothing to promote this until last week.

• Like 1

Fuck Kenny Omega for giving Swann a whole lot of fucking nothing.

Fuck Callis for burying your own promotion by kissing Kenny's ass for 3 hours then laying *that* match out where you present your Champ as a fucking joke that was light years out of his league.

Any good will I had with the overall quality of the show and that Slammiversary Announcement were shot to hell when Kenny pretty much destroyed Swann and pretended like that match was any kind of "classic".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Solid show. good main event which went pretty much as would be expected, though I did think there was going to be more shenanigans involved especially after the ref bump. Kenny the title collector lives on. Enjoyed Deonna/Tenille. Disappointed that Fire N Flava lost the tag titles but knew that was coming, they had a great reign. Good win for Josh Alexander. and of course the debut of W. MORRISSEY! 

Looking forward to Slammiversary: Our World Changes Again being the annual who's gonna show up show. 

Full results:

Spoiler

Preshow Match: Havok & Rosemary def. Susan & Kimber Lee when Havok pinned Susan after the Tombstone.

Impact Wrestling Rebellion 2021 - April 25, 2021

*Josh Alexander def. Ace Austin(c) (w/ Madman Fulton) & TJP (12:01) after the Divine Intervention on Ace to WIN the X Division Championship.

*Violent by Design (Joe Doering, Rhino, Deaner, & W. Morrissey (formerly Big Cass) (w/ Eric Young)) def. Eddie Edwards, James Storm, Chris Sabin, & Willie Mack (10:06) when Morrissey pinned Mack after the East River Crossing.

*Brian Myers def. Matt Cardona (9:46) after two Roster Cut clotheslines

*Jordynne Grace & Rachael Ellering (w/ Jazz) def. Fire N Flava (Kiera Hogan & Tasha Steelz)(c) (9:31) when Ellering pinned Kiera to WIN the Knockouts Tag Team Championships.

*Trey Miguel def. Sami Callihan (15:28) in a Last Man Standing Match after a flying cutter off the steel steps onto a table.

*FinJuice (David Finlay & Juice Robinson)(c) def. The Good Brothers (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) (10:35) when Juice pinned Gallows with a small package to retain the Impact world tag team championships.

*Deonna Purrazzo (w/ Susan & Kimber Lee) def. Tenille Dashwood (w/ Kaleb) (9:52) after the Queen's Gambit to retain the knockouts championship. After the match, Susan & Kimber attacked Tenille until Taylor Wilde arrived to take them out.

-Impact's next Impact+ Specials will be Under Siege on May 15 and Against All Odds on June 12. Impact returns to PPV in July with Slammiversary with the slogan "Our World Changes Again" as the commercial featured old clips of Samoa Joe, Laurel Van Ness, and Mickie James as well as Naito & Okada.

*Kenny Omega(c) (w/ Don Callis, Doc Gallows, & Karl Anderson) def. Rich Swann(c) (w/ Eddie Edwards & Willie Mack) (23:05) with the One Winged Angel to WIN the Impact Worlds Championship and retain the AEW Worlds Championship.

Edited by DreamBroken

The main event not being a 50/50 type of match was the best decision they could've made. Good stuff. Now, does Omega wear the belts like Mutoh or does he have Cleaner girls or the homies carry them for him like in boxing?

I'll forgive it, if Joe is coming back to murder Kenny.  

But I don't want to wait until July.

People that showed up in the Slammiversary cuts: Joe, Muta, Naito, Mickie, Australlian Flag, Mexican Flag, Okada, and Van Ness.  

• Like 1

No offense to Rich Swann, who is a good wrestle and probably the best guy they had to be the top babyface/champ for the past year, but he is not a top guy who moves the needle for Impact in any substantive way, so I see no problem with Omega being dominant over him.  It’s not like he’s a Company Ace character or anything.  I think it’s perfectly fine to sacrifice him at the altar of Kenny, as long as they know who the guy to beat Kenny is...and they better be right, because they’re only getting one shot at this.

I’m not entirely sure who that could be, out of the guys who are on the roster right now.  Josh Alexander could be an interesting pick in a few months, after he’s established himself with this X Division run.  Legit heavyweight, good in the ring, will look credible in there against Kenny.  Not sure about the overall presentation, though.  Ace Austin is a guy they seem very high on, and he just dropped the X belt, so he could be primed to move up.  Not really sure how he plays as a babyface, though.

Of course, if Joe or Hero come in, they’re exceptionally good options to get a run, even if that’s just kicking the can down the road in terms of anointing the Next Guy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EVA said:

No offense to Rich Swann, who is a good wrestle and probably the best guy they had to be the top babyface/champ for the past year, but he is not a top guy who moves the needle for Impact in any substantive way, so I see no problem with Omega being dominant over him.  It’s not like he’s a Company Ace character or anything.  I think it’s perfectly fine to sacrifice him at the altar of Kenny, as long as they know who the guy to beat Kenny is...and they better be right, because they’re only getting one shot at this.

Swann is a guy you can build a company around if you booked him properly.  That being said, he's in the ring with Kenny Omega and Omega has a world class pedigree.  Rich should be booked to test Kenny's will, but he shouldn't be beating the guy who has put down dudes like Okada, Naito, and Moxley.  That's a huge step up in competition for a guy like Rich Swann.

Now the real test is to see how this gets booked going forward.  If I were Rich, I'd be in the back of Daily's Place with Moxley and Kingston, jumping Elite dudes, hitting them with tire irons and slap jacks, and demanding my rematch for the Impact title on AEW television.  This loss is actually an excellent opportunity to elevate Rich Swann if anyone bothers to, but I am not sure that's going to happen.  I think this shit is all about creating a cult of personality around Kenny Omega.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, EVA said:

I’m not entirely sure who that could be, out of the guys who are on the roster right now.  Josh Alexander could be an interesting pick in a few months, after he’s established himself with this X Division run.  Legit heavyweight, good in the ring, will look credible in there against Kenny.  Not sure about the overall presentation, though.  Ace Austin is a guy they seem very high on, and he just dropped the X belt, so he could be primed to move up.  Not really sure how he plays as a babyface, though.

Of course, if Joe or Hero come in, they’re exceptionally good options to get a run, even if that’s just kicking the can down the road in terms of anointing the Next Guy.

I had thought they'd use it to turn Moose face with him being the guy trying to save Impact after all, since he had been off TV for a month but then he showed back up last week so maybe not.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

I had thought they'd use it to turn Moose face with him being the guy trying to save Impact after all, since he had been off TV for a month but then he showed back up last week so maybe not.

I definitely want to see Kenny/Moose, whether he gets the belt or not.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, EVA said:

I definitely want to see Kenny/Moose, whether he gets the belt or not.

I was thinking about Kenny vs Moose since Omega started showing up at IMPACT. 

Swann seems like a better match on paper though. Alot of people complained about the way Omega won and others just felt like they didn't click. I think most people wanted the New Japan main event Omega match here. I think that would benefit IMPACT. 

Omega is great as a heel, he reminds me of mid 90s heel Shawn Michaels where he is just a prick but he knows he's the best. He can make people hate him so much but the can't deny how good he is. Kinda reminds me of Roman Reigns too. I'd hear him doing podcast and interviews even earlier on as a face come across so cocky and arrogant not even in Character and he really believes he's the best. I'm thinking like why isn't he a heel. Then he'd show up on Raw as this smiling babyface every week. Roman is great as a heel because he has alot of those qualities just Like Shawn and Omega 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:01 AM, EVA said:

Wouldn't this be pretty much pointless? Its not like Omega is Hogan or Inoki. Beating a guy who beat Omega is not really a rub. As you said yourself, they got one shot at this.

I despise Omega, but I can't question the wisdom of putting him over strong here. I've seen dummies elsewhere question what Impact's getting out of all of this. There it is: Kenny's relevant, Rich isn't, and Impact isn't. Asked and answered. Whether they use this to make Rich relevant, I don't know. I've always liked his work so I hold out hope. But if I'm being perfectly honest, Moose subbing in for the Hard to Kill main event just highlighted how much I want to see him mixing it up with top guys, primarily Kenny. Couple that with Kenny not working enough big dudes, and that's the direction I want.

Happy Impact got some extra attention off this. Hope the bright spots on their roster got some notice.