DVDVR Message Board

UFC 261: Usman vs. Masvidal II (4/24/2021) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I think the craziest thing about Weidman's injury is that he throws the kick, it gets checked, he's fine, doesn't look hurt, and it doesn't snap until he then puts pressure on it standing. I still think there's been worse injuries like that one, not to mention a dude's finger literally got ripped off in a fight in CFFC, but usually you see the leg break ON the check, not afterward when you go to stand.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think the craziest thing about Weidman's injury is that he throws the kick, it gets checked, he's fine, doesn't look hurt, and it doesn't snap until he then puts pressure on it standing. I still think there's been worse injuries like that one, not to mention a dude's finger literally got ripped off in a fight in CFFC, but usually you see the leg break ON the check, not afterward when you go to stand.

For me it was the worst I've seen for a few reasons. First strike of the fight, happening to Silva now to Weidman and I watched this fight live unlike Weidman/Silva 2.

Edited by The Natural

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Gruesome Details Alert! Read no further if you got a good imagination.

Not that I suggest you watch it again...but the 2nd replay they showed Weidman's leg wrap around Hall's leg at the point of impact. It broke on the check. When he pulls it back you can see the skin on the shin actually has a fold in it. 

I only say this because I can't unsee it.

So yeah, I was fortunately watching both guys from the waist up and basically saw nothing I didn't want to see. However, I knew from the sound something bad was probably going to happen. Usually, low kicks aren't that loud. Even when Thiago Alves, Barboza, and Aldo use to throw those bad boys. Thing is....most of those guys legs are so conditioned and thick enough to withstand shit like that. 

I never understood why guys who are rail thin when it comes to their lower limbs are some of the most vehement kickers in MMA. You're like 90 percent more likely to suffer a bad lower body injury. I understand it's a very important technique, but even though half of fighters still aren't able to check kicks, the rest do it very well compared to 10 or 15 years ago. That's why it seems to happen every once and awhile on regional MMA shows around the world. Now it's happened in the UFC three times. You would think guys would sort of figure that out.

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Gruesome Details Alert! Read no further if you got a good imagination.

Not that I suggest you watch it again...but the 2nd replay they showed Weidman's leg wrap around Hall's leg at the point of impact. It broke on the check. When he pulls it back you can see the skin on the shin actually has a fold in it. 

Yeeeesh...Yeah, that's uh...I don't have the words.

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

this card is completely insane!

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Well worth watching live. Thank fuck!

Just hope you haven't put a curse on the main event ?.

Thankfully you didn't jinx it, my friend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teflon Turtle said:

As many times as I saw that replay, it didn't look like a heel hook finish to me. Was hoping for another angle. Almost appeared to be a straight footlock with the views we had.

I'll just toot my own horn for a second:

That aside, this was one of the craziest cards I've seen in years. Maybe ever. Every weird thing that could possibly happen pretty much did, short of a "fan man crashes in to the ring" incident. My roommate's brother was over for the fights - he's not an MMA fan, and has no martial arts experience. By the end, I said "Imagine being a new fan to MMA and this is the card you come in on." 

• Like 1

That's crazy what happened to Weidman. I can barely even process it. I just hope his leg will be OK and he will be alright after that. Just a bizarre set of circumstances with legkicks tonight.

Man when Thug Rose dials it in and puts it together there is really no one like her. She beat a dominant champion I did not see getting unseated anytime soon. I'm glad she did a post match mea culpa clarification of her previous comments. I hope that's the end of it and it doesn't need to get revisited again. 

Props to Kamaru Usman who just looks like he's even getting better with each passing performance as champion. Chael Sonnen is already talking about a Covington rematch, but if you need a fresh opponent for Usman, Leon Edwards is still out there. Just saying.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

I'll just toot my own horn for a second:

That aside, this was one of the craziest cards I've seen in years. Maybe ever. Every weird thing that could possibly happen pretty much did, short of a "fan man crashes in to the ring" incident. My roommate's brother was over for the fights - he's not an MMA fan, and has no martial arts experience. By the end, I said "Imagine being a new fan to MMA and this is the card you come in on." 

Wait wait wait...there are NINE ankle locks in UFC history? I'm going to guess some of those are Mir and like Manvel Gamburyan. I don't remember a whole bunch in the last ten years. 

Like I vaguely remember Toquinho vs. Mike Pierce and that's only cause it was in the "Is this guy really trying to injure people" phase of Toquinho's UFC tenure.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wait wait wait...there are NINE ankle locks in UFC history? I'm going to guess some of those are Mir and like Manvel Gamburyan. I don't remember a whole bunch in the last ten years. 

I've been trying to find out if anywhere on the internet has them listed, and am coming up empty on a full list so far. I think the most recent one might be Thiago Moises vs. Michael Johnson from last year (I'm seeing some sources that also initially classified that one as a heel hook, seemingly incorrectly as just like what happened tonight). Otherwise, everything I'm turning up supports your "last ten years" timeframe. One happened in Arlovski vs. Sylvia I, way back in 2005.

EDIT: Holy cow. I don't see one on Mir's record, but good call on Gamburyan. I forgot that dude even existed, but sure enough: ankle lock vs. Nate Mohr at UFC 79. Well...we've now accounted for over 33% of straight ankle/footlock finishes in the UFC.

Edited by Teflon Turtle
Elsa's power of recollection

27 minutes ago, Teflon Turtle said:

I've been trying to find out if anywhere on the internet has them listed, and am coming up empty on a full list so far. I think the most recent one might be Thiago Moises vs. Michael Johnson from last year (I'm seeing some sources that also initially classified that one as a heel hook, seemingly incorrectly as just like what happened tonight). Otherwise, everything I'm turning up supports your "last ten years" timeframe. One happened in Arlovski vs. Sylvia I, way back in 2005.

I think it depends on the database. For example, Gamburyan vs. Nate Mohr is either an Achilles Lock or an Ankle Lock. Toquinho (Rousimar Palhares) vs. Mike Pierce is either an Ankle Lock (Tapology) or a Heel Hook (Sherdog).

When I do the event threads, I usually go by what either Buffer or Joe Martinez announce unless I feel they're super off.

Grudging respect knuckles to Rose Namajunas.  I still don't care for the tone of her pre-fight comments, but she went in a challenger and came out a champion.  She's a problem when she's dialed in.

I thought that Cormier was going to pass out when Usman killed Masvidal.  I hope Usman doesn't retire until after he breaks Colby's jaw again.

Best wishes to Chris Weidman on a speedy recovery, but this is why we check leg kicks instead of eating them.

I love some BJJ subs so I marked out heavy for Brandon't straight ankle lock.  

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Easiest night of work in Din Thomas' career, that. Bought in to give tactical analysis on the corner advice between rounds, and then almost every fight ends in the first.

34 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Grudging respect knuckles to Rose Namajunas.  I still don't care for the tone of her pre-fight comments, but she went in a challenger and came out a champion.  She's a problem when she's dialed in.

I thought that Cormier was going to pass out when Usman killed Masvidal.  I hope he doesn't retire until after he breaks Colby's jaw again.

Best wishes to Chris Weidman on a speedy recovery, but this is why we check leg kicks instead of eating them.

I love some BJJ subs so I marked out heavy for Brandon't straight ankle lock.  

Hopefully Colby gets KTFO by Usman in the rematch like Masvidal was. I see that happening this time round.

What's interesting about Rose Namajunas record is she only has two knockout victories but what knockouts against Joanna in their first fight and Zhang last night. Massive upsets. When it comes to massive upsets as the underdog, it's her and Randy Couture.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3