DVDVR Message Board

UFC 261: Usman vs. Masvidal II (4/24/2021) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, Jiji said:

I don't think I've ever been so conflicted watching a sporting event. 

After that fight I think I've decided I'm going to enjoy it for tonight. I'll think about the rest tomorrow.

I'm catching up on the prelims so I just saw the first fight.

I know Tiago Okumura has been in MMA for about a decade plus now, but I just realized he looks like if Toru Yano had a half Brazilian brother.

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

these outfits are worlds better than the Reebok trash.

The MMA shorts are basically Venum shorts, but with a UFC logo and their last names. Hell, the positioning of the names is eerily similar to the first round of Reebok Crayola crayon box shorts in 2015-2016. So in that aspect, I wouldn't necessarily say worlds better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

re:covid, meh. keep protecting yourself, people are idiots. even moreso in florida.

I'm not worried about the people attending, particularly those without masks, but the people they could potentially give it to that have nothing to do with this and do their best to protect themselves. 

Just now, Jiji said:

I'm not worried about the people attending, particularly those without masks, but the people they could potentially give it to that have nothing to do with this and do their best to protect themselves. 

i definitely understand. i hope that all of the attendees' close contacts that are vulnerable have been vaccinated and protect themselves. i wouldn't have rushed into full capacity but money talks so it was always just a matter of time

• Like 1

Seems like an awful lot of the high level Chinese fighters do not have much in the way of head movement. 

Aoriqileng's face is turning to ground beef.

Edited by Jiji

15 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Seems like an awful lot of the high level Chinese fighters do not have much in the way of head movement. 

Aoriqileng's face is turning to ground beef.

12 minutes ago, twiztor said:

if Aoriqileng is one of the top fighters in the Chinese PC, they all need a lot more seasoning

During the UFC goes to Macau and pretends it's a real show in China/TUF China era and even the first one or two shows in mainland China, there was a strange dichotomy where all the female fighters (well Weili Zhang and Xiaonan Yan at least) were way more polished than their male counterparts. 

Outside of Jiangling Li getting better by just being in the UFC forever and getting chance after chance to improve and both Song Yadong and Kenan Song up until their last fights, there hasn't been even a shred of hope for the male side to have a real contender. It's basically guys who can have a semblance of KO power and boxing/kickboxing ability or bust. Their fights always look pretty much the same. It's cool when they engage in slugfests and even get a highlight reel win. Now juxtapose that with how I felt after I saw Weili Zhang just blow Jessica Aguilar into smithereens. I have yet to have that same feeling with any of the male fighters.

Roberson served that one up on a silver platter. Leglock game is dangerous if you aren't aware of your own foot position.

As many times as I saw that replay, it didn't look like a heel hook finish to me. Was hoping for another angle. Almost appeared to be a straight footlock with the views we had.

• Like 1

So they chanted USA for the match with the two white guys (one of whom was Canadian), but not for the match that was an African American vs a White guy from Serbia. Bit dodgy, innit?

Also, I bet the decision would make more sense if you watched the fight with the telly muted. The commentary was calling everything for Sekulic, even though he was massively passive for most of every round. Like arguably Grant should have been winning the first two rounds based on activity, because nobody was doing anything that really fits the definition of 'effective'. But he was being more actively ineffective.

Just finished the Early Prelims good god the crowd was hyped which made the fights even better. 

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

if Aoriqileng is one of the top fighters in the Chinese PC, they all need a lot more seasoning

Seem like he was doing Leonard Garcia with the lack of Head Movement. Man I miss the WEC. 

• Like 1