DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/21/2021

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cheap plug, I have some ongoing countdown projects including the Best AEW Matches Ever. Would you want to see it?

Cheers @Technico Support, @J.T., @Log, @just drew and @twiztor for showing interest. I'll post that, the 20 Best AEW Matches Ever.

19 hours ago, matt925 said:

TK said going forward at least the ppvs on holiday weekends will be Sunday. So double or nothing and all out look like permanent Sunday shows. And he sort of implied the others may move there as well. Like many, I greatly prefer the Saturday shows. 

18 hours ago, Jiji said:

We gotta start some lame petition or something. Let's all fly to Jacksonville and start a hunger strike. All my homies hate Sunday ppvs.

I prefer Saturday PPVs as both are in the early hours of the morning GMT time and you have Sunday to catch up on sleep. AEW start at 1am and UFC main cards at 3am UK time. WWE PPVs usually start at midnight-1am Monday morning. You either book the Monday off if you're working or go in after only a few hours sleep which I've done a few times.

11 hours ago, eikerir said:

Bank Holiday Monday for us so at least we can stay up to watch it (unless you’re an unlucky soul who will work a bank holiday pandemic Monday)

Cheers, @eikerir! I'll do just that while feeling for those who'll be working the first Bank Holiday with pretty much everything reopened.

• Like 3

The Elite angle has really gone off the rails and appears to be bad for everyone, except for maybe the Bucks who get cover for a lot of their weaknesses. As bad as the "emotionally conflicted" Bucks were, there was a lot of utility for them in a tweener role. It hit me this week that their full turn completely ruined what Omega and Callis had going. Kenny as the paranoid kingpin with an ever-shrinking inner circle (for lack of a better term) who was prone to lashing out violently with Don pulling some strings and Gallows/Anderson as the hitmen was a great dynamic that didn't seem redundant amidst all the other heel stables in the company. Now the stable is a shit-talking heel with lots of insulation, which makes 5 of those in the company now I think. On top of that, they have no one to feud with except known loners Mox and Kingston, whose only real beef is with the middle tier members of the group.

You'd probably have to put up with some bad acting that's well out of the Bucks' range, but them as tweeners who don't like what Kenny has become but also aren't going to let Moxley push them around would've been infinitely better for show-writing purposes. They could still feud with Mox/Kingston, Kenny's arc progresses as he drives away his close friends, and your main champ isn't being overshadowed by a tag team angle.

On 4/22/2021 at 10:35 AM, Craig H said:

In fact, if we're buying songs for dudes, can we get some 2Pac or DMX for Kingston? Ambitionz as a Rider or What's My Name or something. 

What's My Name is one of my all time favorites and that would sound so badass as an intro for Kingston

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

they have no one to feud with except known loners Mox and Kingston, whose only real beef is with the middle tier members of the group.

What? All of this started because Omega stole the title from Moxley, and then that deathmatch happened and Kingston "saved" Moxley. Saying Mox and Kingston's only beef is with the Bucks or the Good Brothers is kind of weird. They have beef with everyone involved.

• Like 2

First time seeing the Factory, but I liked what I saw.  The new guys have good looks and presence, so I hope they get pushed down the road.  AEW has too many heel stables right now, and the Factory seems like the lowest rung on the ladder (I mean, QT Marshall is their leader).  

Comoroto seems to be a beast with some in-ring skill and a great look.  I mean, he looks like someone tossed Mandy Pantinkin and Bruiser Brody in a blender and wrapped what came out in a giant fut coat.  How can he miss?

I like the Pinnacle and the Elite well enough, but I'm not a superfan.  Would be ok with the Factory merging with Team Tazz and getting a push.

• Like 2

Most of the stables are merely sets of trios.  They have over thirty regular tag teams.  A good percentage of those teams are part of a trio.

If stables are only the teams with a gimmick then that gives us The Factory, Peter Avalon and Pretty Picture, Team Taz, The Pinnacle, The Inner Circle, Gunn Club, Jurassic Express, Death Triangle, Dark Order, The Elite, Hardy Family Office, Best Friends and whatever team Cody and the Nightmare Family want to contribute.  

That really isn’t too many stables to follow.  At least half of those groups rarely works Dynamite. Some never work as a group while the ones regularly on screen are all distinct gimmicks.  It is easier than keeping rack of a hundred singles wrestlers.  In a promotion that keeps track of records they need guys who eat those losses for the mega pushed.

• Like 1

How is Team Taz still being presented as anything fearsome, by the way? Cage is going to have to lose his shit and get DQed against Hangman next week. Something has to restore some kind of credibility or just disband it. They lost a big PPV match despite it being a handicap brawl after weeks of running away while outnumbered from a long retired wrestler, Christian rebuffed an offer at joining them, each episode brings new dissension, and they went 0-2 on this episode. Taz can come out and talk tough guy all he wants but it's increasingly impotent sounding. They aren't a threat at ALL.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Vans Hammerly use to be an actor ...

This was just talked about on Conan O'brien's pod when Odenkirk was a guest! Excellent timing... Also I used to loathe Andy Dick but he did a good job on Netflix's "Love," playing himself and copping to being a shitty addict. Still don't LIKE him but tolerate him more. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

This was just talked about on Conan O'brien's pod when Odenkirk was a guest! Excellent timing... Also I used to loathe Andy Dick but he did a good job on Netflix's "Love," playing himself and copping to being a shitty addict. Still don't LIKE him but tolerate him more. 

The Conan pod is how I knew about the sketch. Van Hammersly being both an actor and a billiards champion. I caught the connection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace said:

The Nightmare Family needs Alabama's Best Luchador, Fuego del Sol.

They had their chance when Fuego went to the Nightmare Factory on Sammy's vlog. But Cody turned on him and threw him in the bin (they were reprising the old BTE spots where they were welcoming Flip Gordon to Ring of Honor).

19 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The Elite angle has really gone off the rails and appears to be bad for everyone, except for maybe the Bucks who get cover for a lot of their weaknesses. As bad as the "emotionally conflicted" Bucks were, there was a lot of utility for them in a tweener role. It hit me this week that their full turn completely ruined what Omega and Callis had going. Kenny as the paranoid kingpin with an ever-shrinking inner circle (for lack of a better term) who was prone to lashing out violently with Don pulling some strings and Gallows/Anderson as the hitmen was a great dynamic that didn't seem redundant amidst all the other heel stables in the company. Now the stable is a shit-talking heel with lots of insulation, which makes 5 of those in the company now I think. On top of that, they have no one to feud with except known loners Mox and Kingston, whose only real beef is with the middle tier members of the group.

You'd probably have to put up with some bad acting that's well out of the Bucks' range, but them as tweeners who don't like what Kenny has become but also aren't going to let Moxley push them around would've been infinitely better for show-writing purposes. They could still feud with Mox/Kingston, Kenny's arc progresses as he drives away his close friends, and your main champ isn't being overshadowed by a tag team angle.

Mox and Kingston have huge beef with Omega still.  Omega hurt Kingston's foot, and stole Mox's belt.  That's enough reason for a feud, though it should be Eddie and Christian who get the next two shots before Hangman steps up.

• Like 1

Is it too soon for Kenny Omega/Adam Hangman Page at Double or Nothing 3? Omega beat Page to become #1 to Moxley's AEW World Championship at Full Gear 2020. I've found Omega's reign as AEW World Champion anticlimactic lumbered with the Young Bucks/Good Brothers melodramatic shit. Page has to win the AEW World Championship and so should Eddie Kingston.

Edited by The Natural

15 hours ago, AxB said:

They had their chance when Fuego went to the Nightmare Factory on Sammy's vlog. But Cody turned on him and threw him in the bin (they were reprising the old BTE spots where they were welcoming Flip Gordon to Ring of Honor).

That was suit Cody, who is distinctly different from t-shirt Cody, who loves Fuego.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Is it too soon for Kenny Omega/Adam Hangman Page at Double or Nothing 3? Omega beat Page to become #1 to Moxley's AEW World Championship at Full Gear 2020. I've found Omega's reign as AEW World Champion anticlimactic lumbered with the Young Bucks/Good Brothers melodramatic shit. Page has to win the AEW World Championship and so should Eddie Kingston.

Yes, it is too soon for Hangman-Omega at Double or Nothing, as the Hangman character is the early process of getting himself ready to win the big one (and confront his former friends in the process). I'd actually do a six-man tag at Double or Nothing with Hangman being the mystery partner of Mox and Kingston against some combo of The Elite, or if you want to get wild, re-run Stadium Stampede with Mox, Kingston, Hangman, and say Pac and Fenix against all of The Elite.

Not sure if Kingston ever wins the AEW World Title, but as a nice consolation, I could see him beating whoever knocks off Darby for the title (assuming that it's a heel) later this year for the TNT title.

They have four PPVs a year. Why would anyone want to see a six or ten man tag main event one of those while they hit the snooze button on world title matches of consequence? Especially when I've seen plenty of those tag matches on TV? What's the opposite of an attraction?

It's not too soon. They should be running, not walking, to throwing Adam Page in an important title match. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

They have four PPVs a year. Why would anyone want to see a six or ten man tag main event one of those while they hit the snooze button on world title matches of consequence? Especially when I've seen plenty of those tag matches on TV? What's the opposite of an attraction?

It's not too soon. They should be running, not walking, to throwing Adam Page in an important title match. 

Stadium Stampede main evented last year's Double or Nothing, and should be able to sell a PPV given last year's reception of the match. You can have say Darby-Archer as the semi-main for the TNT title for a big singles match (similar to Mox-Brodie last year).

If they did a six man with say Omega and the Good Brothers, you can have a tag title match main event the PPV (have the mask vs hair match with Fenix and The Bucks). I'd prefer the Stadium Stampede idea though, just so you give the PPV an attraction match that you would not see elsewhere.

Also, along with character development (which I place importance on with how AEW operates), it is looking like AEW will be able to run All Out in front of an actual crowd outside of Dailly's Place. Hangman winning the title in front a full (or mostly full arena) would be a great way to cap the night.

• Like 1

Sounds like comatose booking for the world title. At least when they ran the stadium match last year, we had a world title bout. Not even sure I'd want that hair vs mask match either when they should be running the Bucks vs Kingston and Mox. 

Of course with the way this promotion books, it'd be just their style to twiddle their thumbs till September with Page. So you're probably on the money. 

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, Big Z said:

Yes, it is too soon for Hangman-Omega at Double or Nothing, as the Hangman character is the early process of getting himself ready to win the big one (and confront his former friends in the process). I'd actually do a six-man tag at Double or Nothing with Hangman being the mystery partner of Mox and Kingston against some combo of The Elite, or if you want to get wild, re-run Stadium Stampede with Mox, Kingston, Hangman, and say Pac and Fenix against all of The Elite.

Not sure if Kingston ever wins the AEW World Title, but as a nice consolation, I could see him beating whoever knocks off Darby for the title (assuming that it's a heel) later this year for the TNT title.

You could stick Cage on King & Mox's side and then debut Samoa Joe as their "mystery partner." Makes him a big deal right off the bat.