DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/21/2021

I'm loving these Darby TNT defenses. They're the main event so it's always legit they could go time limit draw, and Darby's been winning with a variety of moves so it feels like the finish comes out of nowhere in a good way.

Please redo Cody v Brody Lee with Miro and Darby. Miro wrecks Darby in a squash, Darby wins the title back in a hardcore fucking brawl and is screwed out of the belt by MJF two weeks later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When Butch Reed passed away a story came out that he loved Hobbs so much that he considered him a modern day Butch Reed.  Hobbs got wind of it and showed his appreciation on Twitter.  So I know it's JR but there seems to be some truth to it.

I'd heard about that part, thanks!  I just don't know if Hobbs is studying Reed as opposed to just about anyone else.  He should be studying Vader, minus the "stiffing jobbers to near death" part.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When Butch Reed passed away a story came out that he loved Hobbs so much that he considered him a modern day Butch Reed.  Hobbs got wind of it and showed his appreciation on Twitter.  So I know it's JR but there seems to be some truth to it.

It's too bad the already started calling him Powerhouse because "Hacksaw Hobbs" has a nice ring to it.

• Like 5

I'm not sure how much of it Butch did but I'd love to know where Hobbs got the idea to mean mug like a motherfucker.  I know Goodear's a fan of his and rightfully so but it's so hard not to be.  Him and Britt just know where the camera are and are excellent with presenting themselves.  Heck, even guys like Jungle Boy have an idea when he does his entrance most times.

Whoever capitalized on Jericho's Wardlow flub by giving Wardlow that amazing line about Jericho getting nervous calling him out deserves a raise.

Hot take: MJF is not nearly at the promo ability level that so many, including Meltzer, think he is.  Shit, Wardlow showed more charisma and composure, and was more natural, than MJF, who had to fall on his common crutches of using insider terms and being too cute by half.  I guess if promo ability is determined in 2021 by being all worky shooty, then he's great.  Otherwise, he's got a long way to go.  MJF is praised right now because the bar among his contemporaries is so low.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

Fucking awesome show again. I'm not really sure what else to add except to say that I loved Kingston's tribute to DMX.

"YOU THINK THIS A GAME?! YOU THINK THIS A [FUCKING] GAME?!"

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

I'm loving these Darby TNT defenses. They're the main event so it's always legit they could go time limit draw, and Darby's been winning with a variety of moves so it feels like the finish comes out of nowhere in a good way.

Please redo Cody v Brody Lee with Miro and Darby. Miro wrecks Darby in a squash, Darby wins the title back in a hardcore fucking brawl and is screwed out of the belt by MJF two weeks later.

I'm also enjoying Darby Allin's TNT Championship defences, still think the best was the Brian Cage one.

I wouldn't recreate the Brodie Lee/Cody squash, leave that with Brodie Lee. That's legit one of the best 10 matches in AEW history with the Dog Collar match higher still.

Just now, The Natural said:

I wouldn't recreate the Brodie Lee/Cody squash, leave that with Brodie Lee. That's legit one of the best 10 matches in AEW history with the Dog Collar match higher still.

Cheap plug, I have some ongoing countdown projects including the Best AEW Matches Ever. Would you want to see it?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I like the idea of Miro as a chaotic neutral who will wreck your favorite babyface then turn around and smack around a heel stable that tries to recruit him. Bad News Brown sort of dude.

If you gotta title, you gotta problem is the best shit ever.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 8

Just now, J.T. said:

If you gotta title, you gotta problem is the best shit ever.

I loved that line and promo. It made me think if anyone else was like that and I couldn't really think of anyone.

Miro being on your ass because you're a champion is frightening. 

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Random thought, Jade is going to join Pinnacle, isn't she? I could see her helping Pinnacle win Blood and Guts.

She should do, whether she does or doesn’t not sure, let’s see. Shes too big for the female division alone. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Natural said:

Just looked, it's a Sunday PPV. Fuck.

TK said going forward at least the ppvs on holiday weekends will be Sunday. So double or nothing and all out look like permanent Sunday shows. And he sort of implied the others may move there as well. Like many, I greatly prefer the Saturday shows. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

This might belong in the general thread, but the prospect of Bucks vs Kingston/Mox got me wondering, what are historical examples of great small/flying heel vs larger babyface tag team matches? I’m drawing a blank but I’m sure I’m just a moron. 

Of course, the natural answer to this is the heel Midnight Rockers vs. face Nasty Boys feud from Memphis.

48 minutes ago, matt925 said:

TK said going forward at least the ppvs on holiday weekends will be Sunday. So double or nothing and all out look like permanent Sunday shows. And he sort of implied the others may move there as well. Like many, I greatly prefer the Saturday shows. 

We gotta start some lame petition or something. Let's all fly to Jacksonville and start a hunger strike. All my homies hate Sunday ppvs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Instead of getting frustrated at a lack of honoring tag rules I instead got to be frustrated by inconsistent 10-counts and that the letters "D" and "Q" may never be joined in the reality of AEW.

Forget DQs. Two matches last night should have ended with countouts.

4 hours ago, killsteve said:

They have been pushing Page as #1 contender for weeks now with zero indication of a title match. Are they going to run that at the PPV? Or hold off on it? Seems like a strange move to have Page so strong if they aren't going to do anything with it. 

Page is #1 contender, but he's too shy to ask for his title shot.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I like the idea of Miro as a chaotic neutral who will wreck your favorite babyface then turn around and smack around a heel stable that tries to recruit him. Bad News Brown sort of dude.

They have Lance Archer for this.  YOu don't need two Lance Archers.

as for the Sunday PPVs they said they're only going to be Sundays on holiday weekends from now on I think.

Edited by alstein

Sundays where the US has a Monday holiday is indeed correct. So DoN and All Out will happen on Sundays, Full Gear and Revolution will happen on Saturdays. Only reason Revolution happened on a Sunday this year was because the scheduling of the Tyson fight or something else was up in the air, but it was looking like it would happen on a Saturday.

I love Saturday PPVs more that Sunday ones, but I also don't mind if the Sunday PPVs happen on a holiday where I have the next day off. Plus, the other problem with Saturday PPVs is that, at least for me, all of my hangout shit happens on Saturdays. So if my cousins want to hangout for drinks or I want to have a date night with my wife or my friends want to get together to play some games online then it's happening on a Saturday. It feels lame to be like, "sorry, can't hang out, I have this wrestling PPV I want to watch because I'm 40 and a fucking nerd."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

By the way, another week and another reference to two racist pieces of shit who used a brainbuster. Come the fuck on, JR.

It’s crazy because he has only mentioned one or the other in the past.  It’s like that serial killer movie trope where the killer starts getting more bold with his tactics.  

I need to work out the rules of the JR drinking game.  “JR waxes nostalgic about notable bigots from the old days” is definitely on the list.

• Like 3

I enjoyed Tay vs Shida more than a lot of matches lately. I really felt invested, was rooting for Tay to win, was biting on the near falls. Very few matches do that anymore and the build and how endearing both performers are helped that. Shida's reign obviously has had a lot of start/stops because of the pandemic and the decimation and rebuilding of the AEW women's division but I'm really glad that it now seems on track. 

• Like 1