DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/21/2021

When they cleared Luchasaurus and Sting to the back, I knew they were setting up for a heel run-in.

I was expecting Miro. I got Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page. So you can imagine how happy I was with that.

Other than that, though, really good show.

Both championship matches delivered. No one interrupted a promo after five words. They used their vanishing powers on a whole group of people but it kept Kenny from talking. Postmatch angles weren't ridiculous.

Best episode in a while. Lots of little stuff was off (duplicate things throughout the night again for example) but I didn't feel like a moron watching any of it. Miro looked like he's about to put someone in traction. They let the quiet Buck have a whole line. 

Oh fuck, "I told you stop stealing shoes!" and every bit of Moxley/Kingston talking. All they were missing was talking about hitting up Waffle House.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Jungle Boy vs Darby was good. Fuck offering the handshake to Darby though, the dude pulled on your hand and raked his eyes. Tell him where he can fucking shove that cheap win.

Makes sense character wise though. Jungle Boy played it pretty clean throughout, lost as a result, and learned nothing. It's why Darby is a champ and he isn't. Love that kind of shit. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Makes sense character wise though. Jungle Boy played it pretty clean throughout, lost as a result, and learned nothing. It's why Darby is a champ and he isn't. Love that kind of shit. 

Would suck if Jungle Boy got to grow for once and not gracefully accept punk boy's cheap shortcuts. 

Always a great show. Loved Shida/Tay, another great win for Shida. Really dig Shida having multiple finishes/ways to win. Only thing I could've done without was the constant "She's done it we have a new champion!" type calls on all of Tay's nearfalls. I've been a huge fan of Shida's title run so I'm still not looking forward to seeing it end when she faces Baker next. Still feel like Thunder Rosa should've gotten more from that killer match, even if it didn't count in rankings. Hangman/Starks was good, shorter than I expected and definitely didn't see a submission win coming. Christian/Hobbs was a blast, just fantastic to see Christian working regularly on TV again. the Moxley/Kingston vehicle madness bit was greatness, they are excellent together and will make perfect opponents for the Bucks.  Always enjoy the rare Billy Gunn Dynamite match. Pinnacle MJF promo was real good, Blood & Guts should be incredible. We'll eventually get a Dustin/QT bullrope match. Great main event, actually wanted it go the TV Time remaining and just go off the air. Sting vs. Luchasaurus!! was epic, so out of nowhere. But I did like the post-match and potential setup for a Sting/Archer tag. So much to enjoy.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Would suck if Jungle Boy got to grow for once and not gracefully accept punk boy's cheap shortcuts. 

Him not being a pushover will be the sign of growth. Wrestlers learning, evolving, changing from losses is part of what makes wrestling the best. It used to be a part of American wrestling but not as much anymore. Japan does it really well. I don't think he needs to be an aggro dickhead but a li'l more like an 80s whitemeat babyface with a spine. Now there's some weird American and western culture/values projected onto some of those asshole '80s babyfaces who were assholes but I don't think JB needs to go that far. Grow a spine and win the belt. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Well shit now I’m wondering if Jungle Boy isn’t the most lawfully good babyface on the roster. I think he is! Even Best Friends and like -1 have shown an edge. Riho isn’t around.

Jungle Boy is the 2021 moral Ricky Steamboat?

This is great and true. He's a rare breed but Ricky had a code and he'd being the fight if you fucked with him. I think this is great big picture stuff for Jack and gives his character an arc that all good wrestling stories have. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Him not being a pushover will be the sign of growth. Wrestlers learning, evolving, changing from losses is part of what makes it the best.

But actually putting some gas into that story after the match would have been asking too much. Can't evolve too fast or with any sense of immediacy, because Tony's addicted to slow burn. I might as well strap in for six months of Jack as a know-nothing sad sack, because (unless it involves Scorpio Sky) nothing can ever just happen on this show. 

A handshake offer after hair pulling and an eye rake. What's next? He goes in for the hug on a guy who just beat him on a nutshot? 

The thing with having so many top talents and stars in the making is you can only have so many people realize their potential at once. Slow burns aren't just a preference but necessary when you've got so many people needing to be featured. I won't argue they've got this shit down to a science but it's come a long way. Most of the people they are going to make money with down the line have something to work towards. That's awesome. Plus, their development feels earned when it's plotted out over a longer period. 

I actually think there were too many singles matches on the show and the shenanigans in a lot of them kind of showed that. This is the board that puts early 90s WCW SN six man tags on their rightful pedestal. They rule and the world needs more story based six person tags. 

• Like 2

One of the things I’ve enjoyed about AEW’s ring style is that they’re not afraid to have baby face champs get nasty or take shortcuts when they feel like they’re in danger.  Really puts over how important the belts are.

• Like 7

And if they do that double turn with Shida and Baker it will not be outta nowhere. That is awesome!  That she'll do anything to be champ in full arenas is wonderful contextual booking. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 6

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

Not every story needs to be long. I've seen wonderfully plotted miniseries. Anyone got a mailing address for Tony? I wanna send him some DVDs.

They're definitely easier to tell with static characters like Mox. Yeah, not everything needs to be a Jerry Lawler USWA bathroom promo or LOTR with a dozen false finishes. 

Chris Jericho with a bad promo. Don't drink it in, man.

MJF's promo was great.

Best enemies turned better friends in Jon Moxley and Eddie Kingston. Put the AEW World Tag Team Championship on them and then Eddie Kingston wins the AEW World Championship. That has to happen.

It's too bad Jericho is so strong in the ratings, otherwise I would be more than fine with him going on a covid world tour with fozzy for the rest of the year after blood and guts. It definitely feels like it's break time for him. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They're definitely easier to tell with static characters like Mox. 

How over his character and promos are makes a strong case for keeping things simple. Angry violent man who doesn't take shit is a role model for all wrestlers. 

Also, note to Cody: That's how you drive your truck into some shit like a wreckless asshole. Get back to me when your driving pushes over something heavier than a rubbish bin. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati