DVDVR Message Board

NXTuesday - 4/20/2021

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've never seen a match of hers but she got Aja Kong a cameo on my TV last night. That's definitely worth something. 

Sareee is awesome.  A good reason to watch more NXT.

• Like 2

Sarray and Zoey Stark had a helluva match.  Kudos to Beth Phoenix for invoking the names of Joshi legends like Manami Toyota and showing that not all WWE brands ignore the outside world.

Wow.  Kyle O'Reilly and Cameron Grimes beat the shit out of each other and it was pretty awesome.

This was a really good show. Redditor stonkgate millionaire Grimes continues to be hilarious and his match with Kyle was top notch. Kushida/Lorcan was probably the best Kushida match I've seen from his NXT tenure. I wasn't familiar with Sarray but she looked great.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Sarray and Zoey Stark had a helluva match.  Kudos to Beth Phoenix for invoking the names of Joshi legends like Manami Toyota and showing that not all WWE brands ignore the outside world.

Oh man.  Sarray was laying it in.  Stark looks 5,000 times better than she did wrestling 15 matches against Heather Monroe.  I am so stoked about Sarray against Toni Storm.

• Like 1

Yeah, Sareee is good. She's limber and screamy like a certain wrestler they brought up. Killer Uranage at the end there. Stark's knee was pretty brutal too. 

But my fave was the Kushida match. Oney was a perfect fit for him to show off his technical prowess, and then they raise that stiffness bar to 'MAX' at the end. Oney's chops made me think WALTER was sampled for audio sweetening. 

I was busy reading during the last match though. Definitely worth a rewatch?

I've heard many worried how Sarray would adapt to working a WWE style, but I thought she worked well with a very streamlined version of her usual match.  Stark looked good in there too.  She has a few awkward moments here and there, but she's going to improve by virtue of working with all the great talent NXT has.  She still needs a hook character-wise, but you can tell they are very high on her.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, Sareee is good. She's limber and screamy like a certain wrestler they brought up. Killer Uranage at the end there. Stark's knee was pretty brutal too. 

But my fave was the Kushida match. Oney was a perfect fit for him to show off his technical prowess, and then they raise that stiffness bar to 'MAX' at the end. Oney's chops made me think WALTER was sampled for audio sweetening. 

I was busy reading during the last match though. Definitely worth a rewatch?

I also enjoyed the Kushida / Lorcan match aside from the idea that Oney looked a little too beefy to be competing for the Cruiserweight title.

Too bad that Will Allday is down in AEW shattering his vertebrae for your pleasure.

Edited by J.T.

Franky Monets debut last week was awkward to me bc I didn't really get the character. Are you boujee or are you "wera loca"? Another appearance from her this week and I'm already ready for them to drop the character. 

Good debut for Sarray. Having seen her work before, I was still surprised with her adaptation to a WWE while maintaining those screamy joshi mannerisms. She gave me Sakie Hasegawa vibes with that rolling savate + uranage combo. Glad she kept that finish

Zoey continues to impress me every week. An incredible athlete and she looks so seasoned even though she's relatively new. I just hope something can develop there character wise. She's got the crowd behind her and she's gaining attention from viewers. 

Go away Toni Storm

Edited by AverageKong

12 hours ago, DEAN said:

Oh man.  Sarray was laying it in.  Stark looks 5,000 times better than she did wrestling 15 matches against Heather Monroe.  I am so stoked about Sarray against Toni Storm.

Yeah, at first we were like, "Is that Lacey Ryan from CWFH?" and yep it sure was.  The women's division at CWFH / CWFM hasn't been the same since she left and it isn't much better now that Heather is in Florida. 

As much as CWFH wanted to make Monroe the face of the division, Lacey / Zoey was the crazy ass superworker.  She is not afraid to take dangerous looking shotgun dropkicks from Sarray directly in the face.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I missed Taya this week but if she doesn't get to keep the fuzzy leg warmers then I pass.

Also, I hate to say this, but she can easily be slotted into a comedy angle with someone like the dorks above. Her mannerisms and reactions would be perfect. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I hate how much I love these segments

I have no idea how Johnny Gargano could go from the most insufferable babyface ever to one of the most enjoyable comedy heels of all-time. Candace and The Kids are also fantastic. The Way rules.

58 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I have no idea how Johnny Gargano could go from the most insufferable babyface ever to one of the most enjoyable comedy heels of all-time. Candace and The Kids are also fantastic. The Way rules.

I really liked Johnny Gargano as a face: him/Ciampa vs. The Revival at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II/NXT TakeOver: Toronto, Almas/Gargano at NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018 and vs. Ciampa at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans. How did he change and the Way come about?

Edited by The Natural

7 hours ago, D.Z said:

NXT: 841,000 18-49: 0.23. 

Imagine where they could've been if they started on Tuesday. Regardless, I'm glad they are on Tuesday now. Now, NXT can focus on building its talent rather than a Wednesday Night War.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I really liked Johnny Gargano as a face: him/Ciampa vs. The Revival at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II/NXT TakeOver: Toronto, Almas/Gargano at NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018 and vs. Ciampa at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans. How did he change and the Way come about?

Gargano’s arc as a performer out of the ring is just insane. DIY’s initial face run was terrible in terms of promos. I think that maybe their first promo was them coming to the ring together ripping on AOP or someone like that and it was terrible — like the worst college improv you could ever watch in your life. It was so bad considering these guys were indie legends or whatever already, so I assume had experience doing that stuff, but it was maybe the worst promo in NXT history (a promotion that has largely had great promos.)

None of their stuff was good, unless it was something pre-taped, which is really controlled. I did like their celebration after winning the straps in the 2-out-of-3 thriller against The Revival since despite being so bad promo wise they (somehow) had an organic connection with the audience. 

The DIY breakup — Ciampa came into his own with his heel troll act, and Johnny was so bad. His attempts at sympathy and his promos were just so incredibly cloying. His expressions in the ring I always thought were garbage and forced. He got over because of his ring work (and, even though I am not a fan, I will admit that Johnny Gargano has probably been in more of the high-end NXT men’s matches then anyone — we probably all forgot the Andrade masterpiece, curious where that ranks on your all-time best NXT matches list.)

I was at Full Scale love when they were teasing Ciampa luring Gargano to the dark side. Johnny was still absolutely brutal as an actor. It was terrible. Even worse, the crowd was rooting for them to get back together as heels. They could not get the intended reaction. I get the “reunion pop” thing but a more effective performer would have been able to generate the “NO JOHNNY!” reaction they wanted (that Candace was delivering really well.)

But I have no where this came from. He really broke out with this version of his heel character very quickly with those awesome at-home segments with Candace (not a great face promo, but always solid in her “mama bear” role.) 

I love comedy wrestlers (see: my constant pushing of the Fandango/Summer Rae vs. Emma/Santino match as one of the five best matches in NXT history) and goofball heels so much. 

I would take Bo Dallas and Cameron Grimes and (please give me no crap anyone) Velveteen Dream and Bobby Roode (not a goofball but incredibly funny) all day over a bunch of the “serious” guys who walked through NXT like Alastair Black or Drew McIntyre. I hated the Undisputed Era at first because it was just such a bad co-splay at cool heels but Kyle O’Reilly learning new chords on his belt and he and Roddy leaning in to being dorks sold me on them.

Gargano and Candace being “parents” in The Way to Indie (a revelation) and Austin Theory (an even bigger revelation) is a goofball heel masterpiece. Like — what the hell even is this down below? This is comedy gold even beyond wrestling. 

Gargano being able to pull off this shtick so incredibly well — it’s like if Eva Marie out of nowhere became Eddie Guerrero. I have no idea. 

I’ve been performing comedy for 12 years or so, and am a total nerd for the craft of comedy acting. The only way (sorry) they can be this good is if this is just an extended version of Johnny and Candace’s real personalities. And if that is the case: Why the hell did we not get this version of Johnny from the start? Maybe he wasn’t ready to pull it off yet, but I would have loved to have seen Gargano start out as this, end up gaining face support because of how good he is at the role, then becoming an ace who is lovable with a serious side. It would have been so good.

Either way — this is some masterpiece level work, and we are lucky to have this in our lives. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lumis/Drake was surprisingly solid. I continue to enjoy the Lumis/Indi romance.

The Io/Frankie segment was alright. Not really feeling the Frankie Monet character yet. I just hope their eventual match in NXT is better than the forgettable one they had in Stardom during Io's second World title reign.

Zoey/Sarray was nice. Sarray got in a decent showcase while still giving Zoey a chance to impress a good amount as well. Lookign forward to Toni taking on both.

Kushida/Lorcan was good. Loved seeing Kushida bust out the shotei. Kind of disappointed with the post match attack by LDF since I was hoping Escobar was moving on to bigger things.

The Way continue to be one of the most enjoyable things on NXT with their segments. Ember and Shotzi dragging Candice into their locker room after Candice shit talked them was wonderful.

Grimes/O'Reily was good. Still digging rimes one-sided feud with Dibiase.

Fun episode overall