DVDVR Message Board

Backlash XVI - 5/16/2021

Dolfan in NYC

"WrestleMania Backlash" is the next PPV.  I don't know why they are calling it that.  Doesn't matter.

The Card, updated as they announce! 

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP - The Almighty Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Braun Strowman

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Bianca Bel Air (c) vs. Bayley

FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. Cesaro

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka

FOR THE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Dirty Dawgs (c) vs. Rey & Dominik Mysterio

LUMBERJACK MATCH - Damien Priest vs. The Miz

On 4/20/2021 at 2:01 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I would be lovely if the day of, Vince smells toast, has another of his mini-strokes and decides to give Cesaro the belt for a night and the next day.

Apropos of nothing - I'm guessing you're Canadian?

• 2 weeks later...

Only interested in Roman Reigns vs. Cesaro, Bianca Belair vs. Bayley and to a lesser extent, Rhea Ripley vs. Asuka vs. Charlotte Flair. I'd love to be proven wrong and Cesaro wins but it's not happening. Cesaro should be a multi time world champion by now.

1 hour ago, scatterheart said:

Lol. No. 

Don't get me wrong, Cesaro should have got treated better over the years. But there's no way on Earth he should have been a multi-time world champion. 

How about one time former transitional world champion?

17 hours ago, scatterheart said:

Lol. No. 

Don't get me wrong, Cesaro should have got treated better over the years. But there's no way on Earth he should have been a multi-time world champion. 

Depends on your standards. If we're talking old style, two title switches per year if we're feeling really frisky, then no Cesaro probably could stay in that "High as you can get without winning the big one" bracket next to Jake the Snake and Eddie Kingston without me raising an eyebrow. In a world - or should I say Universe? - where Jack Swagger, Jinder Mahal and Alberto del Rio are all former world champions (ie. the one we actually live in,) then he absolutely should have at least five.

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 4

Would Cesaro really have been a worse pick for a champion than Rollins, Wyatt, Strowman, Goldberg, Lashley, Miz, 2020 Orton, or Jinder friggin' Mahal? Because all of them have been a world/universal champ over the last 5 years and I'm not convinced Cesaro would be worse than any of them.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Funny. When I think "old style," I think 1 switch every few years, not "only" a couple switches a year. ?

how it started:

b5121852feacee18c1396e6237649da5.jpg

how it's going:

backlundstill--f3af3e1e1bb0d17a2a7d5d437

Love Cesaro, but I have never seen him as a straight up main eventer. Just because other people won the belt when they had no business doing so doesn't really mean Cesaro should have. Those are chances that shouldn't have been given or in some cases should have happened at different times when said wrestlers were actually hot. Say what you will, but even someone like Lashley now only just now feels right to me as champ. Same with Drew when he became champ last year. To me Cesaro has never had the momentum to make sense of it. The waste was always more about him not being even a semi-regular challenger for the top belt. Its why he never built the momentum to change minds. I still think the biggest missed opportunity for Cesaro was them not having him challenge Brock back in 2014.

Anyways I have no interest in seeing Cesaro become champ here. This just isn't the time with the run Roman is on. 

The Smackdown title matches are what have most of my interest right. Even knowing the likely results both have been built well enough and Roman/Cesaro is a fresh match since the two don't wrestle each other often.

On 5/11/2021 at 2:07 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Have we forgotten all about the "brass ring" bullshit? Cesaro's deserved a championship run for that insult ever since. 

TBF, wasn’t he was given promo time after that insult and got flustered after he said he was the best inside the three sides of the ring?

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am just waiting for the expect Charlotte title win and the reaction.  Hopefully they aren't completely stupid and have her actual pin Ripley

the phrasing here is unclear. Do you mean that "hopefully they aren't stupid and therefore have her pin RIpley" or "hopefully they aren't stupid and therefore don't have her pin Ripley"?

6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:
On 5/11/2021 at 2:07 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Have we forgotten all about the "brass ring" bullshit? Cesaro's deserved a championship run for that insult ever since. 

TBF, wasn’t he was given promo time after that insult and got flustered after he said he was the best inside the three sides of the ring?

Aaaaie, that was a painful slip to watch. Three ropes, four corners...

Edited by Iron Moose

6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Anyone who ever wondered why Virgil's push ended pretty quickly despite being over..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

the phrasing here is unclear. Do you mean that "hopefully they aren't stupid and therefore have her pin RIpley" or "hopefully they aren't stupid and therefore don't have her pin 

The former.  It would be bad enough for Charlotte winning but to cleanly beat Ripley in her 2nd defense makes it much worse.  It is basically saying what I guess some believe in that the only reason Ripley won at WM was because Charlotte got COVID

EDIT:  thank god I was wrong on that one

Edited by hammerva