DVDVR Message Board

2021 Post-Mania WWE Purge

7 hours ago, Casey said:

lol they replaced Samoa Joe at the commentary desk with Pat McAfee. This fucking company.

It is like someone in the back said "You know we like Corey Graves but he isn't an obnoxious heel enough.  Who is available that isn't Sam Roberts"

• Haha 1

I get the anger and disappointment, but there really should be no surprise here.  I don't know where WWE ranks on the World's worst corporations, but I'd have to think Linda, Vince and the gang would secure a nice high number.  If you reading this haven't already, maybe consider not spending time or more importantly your money on this pitiful company.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

How people who only ever watch WWE will remember Joe:

1 : Kappa

That face is sadly more saying "Why does it always rain on me?" than "Raindrops keep falling on my head" or "I'm singing in the rain".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert s said:

That face is sadly more saying "Why does it always rain on me?" than "Raindrops keep falling on my head" or "I'm singing in the rain".

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with WWE cutting guys, they should cut a lot more, and more often. The roster is so stagnant it's unbelievable. Every WrestleMania for the last 15 years is largely indistinguishable from the last, they just shuffle the same guys around. If you look at the roster changes between WM1 and WM5, and any 5 years for any of the first 20 years of the expansion era, not just the roster was greatly different, but the whole feel of the promotion was completely different, night and day. It would be to everyones benefit if they cut 25% of the roster every year and anyone that had been there for more than 7 years got automatically cut, with the proviso that they can be re-hired after spending 2 years elsewhere.

• Like 5

They got so much fuck money that they could send half of the roster on excursions and still have tons of people that they can cycle in and out.  If they really wanted to they could keep everybody and make it work but bottom lines and all that shit. 

• Like 2

I think it is fair for people to hold the seemingly incompatible thoughts that "people losing their jobs is bad and I feel bad for them" and "a certain degree of roster turnover is needed every so often for the benefit of both the company and its fans". Unless someone appears to be a legit scumbag or a truly dreadful worker I generally feel sad for them when they lose what was likely their dream job in WWE or whatever other wrestling promotion, but there has been several times over the years I've watched shows and went "they desperately need fresh faces" which eventually either requires people to go away or for the show to be longer and longer. I guess they could just leave people in catering but people seem to dislike that as well.

Of course if I ran AEW I wouldn't be running 30 Dark matches a week and hence would likely end up costing dozens of people work, so there is a non-zero chance I am just a monster...

• Like 5

The Dark matches are to get people ring time, and to pad the W/L records of the signed guys who are being booked as JTTS's. Like if Jack Evans had his first Dynamite match in months and he was 0-4 on the year, no way you can sell this is a big match. Whereas if he's 12-4, that's a significant win.

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

The Dark matches are to get people ring time, and to pad the W/L records of the signed guys who are being booked as JTTS's. Like if Jack Evans had his first Dynamite match in months and he was 0-4 on the year, no way you can sell this is a big match. Whereas if he's 12-4, that's a significant win.

Meltzer says there are other reasons for Dark, too.

Regarding doing so many hours of taping, besides it enabling them to look at more talent and it basically being their developmental system, the idea is to build up as much content as possible. The number of hours over the course of years will enable them to either set up their own streaming service, or better yet, be like WWE and get a major streaming company looking at spending heavy for content and them having enough hours, to lease it out for enough money that it will become a major stable revenue stream.

EDIT: Apparently by September 1st they'll hit 300 hours of content.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

The truth is, yes execs may not notice that the 1000s of hours of content are mainly semi-competitive jobber matches.

A good few years ago, I was a glorified intern at a big european telco working on app content for their app store - this was back when Play Store was Android Market; a big anarchic mess where Google seemed perfectly happy to let users do the testing. Anyway, the higher-ups were always moaning that we didn't have enough content on the store and would find content aggregators with eleventy billion apps. It was me who basically had to try to use these apps and then politely as I could explain to management that the content was 99.5% hot garbage and we'd be trifling with our brand's reputation to touch it with a bargepole.

I imagine that one day there will be a me out there explaining to some exec that buying hundreds of hours of Gunn Club squashes might not be a wise investment.

• Like 3

Stars of tomorrow today, innit? If Colton Gunn eventually turns into a big star, the fact that they'll have basically his whole career documented suddenly has value.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Stars of tomorrow today, innit? If Colton Gunn eventually turns into a big star, the fact that they'll have basically his whole career documented suddenly has value.

I'm not sure early Rocky Maivia matches are all that valuable, and the chances of Colton Gunn turning into a big star are not that great in all honesty.

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I'm not sure early Rocky Maivia matches are all that valuable, and the chances of Colton Gunn turning into a big star are not that great in all honesty.

The price of the NTFs alone of Hook in shorts or busting out the Tony Khan pose will put the Undertaker NTFs to shame. 

Edited by Jiji

Its eye rolling how fans get so disgusted and use the social justice part of their brain to tare WWE apart like WWE is gonna all of a sudden factor in morality to their hiring and firing process. Wrestling Twitter isn't as loud of a voice as people want to make it seem. We've seen that with Bow Wow, definitely not at socially relevant as he one was 20 to 15 years ago but still was able to boast that he has more Twitter followers than all of the current full-time roster. On top of that managed to start training with Rikishi and still brag on Twitter wow easy this is to him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Its eye rolling how fans get so disgusted and use the social justice part of their brain to tare WWE apart like WWE is gonna all of a sudden factor in morality to their hiring and firing process. Wrestling Twitter isn't as loud of a voice as people want to make it seem. We've seen that with Bow Wow, definitely not at socially relevant as he one was 20 to 15 years ago but still was able to boast that he has more Twitter followers than all of the current full-time roster. On top of that managed to start training with Rikishi and still brag on Twitter wow easy this is to him.

It’s easy for a company to ignore Twitter when the main man doesn’t know what a Twitter is. Vince isn’t even at Geocities yet in his timeline.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Holy shit, Joe's last match was in February 2020?! Damn... His no-compete clause should absolutely be waived but, you know, insert Goodfellas laughing gif here ?

How so?  He's been out injured since that time, but he was still on the payroll and was on tv basically every week.