DVDVR Message Board

Complete Territory Episodes

DEAN

Oh man, I love Southeastern.  Jonathan Boyd is gonna take the American flag, in Birmingham, Alabama no less, and stick up a part of Robert Fuller "where mama never kissed you!"  Jacque Rougeau is the champ and he and Terry Gordy tear it  up before the entire roster hits the ring.  Oh yeah, Andre the Giant is also hanging around.  So is Joe LeDuc.  Insanity.

The Texas Outlaws in AWA in 1973 take Billy Robinson and a 12 year old Don Moraco.  Rhodes and Murdock kill everybody with CHEATING!  Your announcer is a babbling idiot.

• Like 2

Awesome!  Footage of the Amarillo territory that Terry and Dory Funk sold to Blackjack Mulligan and Dick Murdoch after the territory died out or was run into the ground by Mulligan and Murdoch- I'm not sure.  Blackjack is chatty on commentary.  A pre-teen Ted DiBiase and Skandar Akbar do things they did in the Southwest in 1978.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DEAN said:

Awesome!  Footage of the Amarillo territory that Terry and Dory Funk sold to Blackjack Mulligan and Dick Murdoch after the territory died out or was run into the ground by Mulligan and Murdoch- I'm not sure.  Blackjack is chatty on commentary.  A pre-teen Ted DiBiase and Skandar Akbar do things they did in the Southwest in 1978.  

That is the footage I gave Ted Sr a copy of .... 5 years ago. He had never seen it. Found out months later thru Brett that Ted watched it and was showing everybody in the family the footage.

• Like 2

WWWF from 1976!  The best part is Ernie Ladd talking shit about Bobo Brazil and Bruno Samartino- such classic heeldom but Ladd is like the Super Destroyer, OBVIOUSLY smarter than all the other wrestlers and ESPECIALLY more intelligent than the fans.  So fucking great.  The main event is Crusher Blackwell and Bugsy McGraw against plucky babyface... Kevin Sullivan? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Souza looked like Guillermo from What We Do in the Shadows in there. 

It would have been awesome if Souza inexplicably powerbombed Ernie Ladd, got the pin, denied it and tried to cover it up.

• Haha 1

It's Portland in 1978!  They are pushing a hilariously one-sided match between a young, in-shape Buddy Rose and a long-haired, California beach bum-esque Jessie The Body Ventura.  They have one match and it's Buddy Rose and Ed Weisnewski defending their belts against young babyfaces WCCW main stay Skip Young (who would later become Sweet Brown Sugar) and Jerry Oates.  It's really good.  Skip Young hits a beautiful 1978 dropkick.  

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

i'm gonna guess the NYC fans figured out quickly that Rocca was an Italian called Argentina

Rocca was born in Italy then moved to Argentina as a child, they billed him as Antonino “Argentina” Rocca to draw fans of Italian and Latinx descent. I think he even cut promos in English, Italian and Spanish. 

• Like 1

Peter Maivia debuts and EVERYBODY gets his name wrong.  Tor Kamata CUTS A PROMO~! and his stylings sound a lot like a modern day Iron Sheik.  Ken Patera has hair that states that he is the strongest member of Kiss.

Mike Rotundo is joined in progress for some reason. Paul Jones is scouting him. The disciplinary board is investigating Valentine and Slater. Ric Flair is covered in blood for a promo. Piper squashed a guy who looked like a roadie for a 70s southern rock band. Barry Windham looks dangerously lanky next to Jake Roberts. Mike Rotundo gets promo time for some reason. Then he gets even more promo time? Was Mike Rotundo ever interesting?Humperdink and One Man Gang have similar hairstyles. Rufus R. with the world's most obvious backslap on a kneelift. The Briscos are in the process of becoming evil and they'll face Steamboat/Youngblood next week. Gary Hart was barely on camera during his interview with Kabuki/Magic Dragon. Kabuki monkeyflipping Dragon towards an opponent was almost a cool move if the opponent was in position to take some move. I think the Mid-Atlantic style of promo is to mention at least 6 other wrestlers in your promo, which carried over to World Championship Wrestling episodes a few years later. And we get the damnedest tussle for a tag team title belt to close. Mid-Atlantic is to credit for the 'running credits after a show' thing that WCW would do after PPVs, isn't it?

No awful dubbed Boogie Woogie Man music in this episode.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

The disciplinary board is investigating Valentine and Slater. Ric Flair is covered in blood for a promo. 

That was baffling.  They show a film of Greg Valentine legally beating on Flair, then they show Flair coated in blood without showing how was Flair was covered in blood and Flair then says he is coming for Valentine's belt, which he has already lost to Piper.  I assume they were like,  "Well, we made this video package, I guess we have to use it."  And Rufus R. Freighttrain Jones was my childhood hero and HE RULED!  RULED!  HE RULED!

Central States was running Buzz Tyler/Dewey Robertson in a cage and Manny Fernandez/Bulldog Bob Brown/Sonny Myers vs Gary Royal/The Super Destroyer/Kim Duk at the top of the card at the end of April 1983, so at least they weren’t missing Rufus R. Jones too much in KC.

That same CS card also had Bob Orton Jr vs George Wells and Greg Valentine/Grizzly Evans (originally billed as Valentine and Eddie Mansfield) vs Roddy Piper/Mark Romero. So there was enough of a working agreement to send JCP guys to work at Memorial Hall on Thursday nights.

The next week was Central States champ Dewey Robertson vs Bulldog Bob Brown.

Of course there isn’t exactly a wide assortment of Central States All-Star Wrestling episodes online.

• Like 1

Back in the day of UHF TV Stations, U68 would get the occasional episode of California Championship Wrestling. U68 had wrestling on EVERY NIGHT! 2 episodes of World Class, 2 NWA shows and then like the most random shit the rest of the week. I remember guys winning via sunset flip a lot!

I swear Carlos Matta has some seriously pale legs!

James

Edited by J.H.

Fabs vs. Nightmares, Masa Saito throwing a dude and Atlas/Reed vs. DWBs is a show I want to watch. 

Is the dude who confronts Superstar Graham Ricky Vaughn/Lance Von Erich?

• Like 1