DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/14/2021

Dolfan in NYC

40 minutes ago, just drew said:

Now just imagine the number they'd do if their World Champ and Tag Champs weren't total pretentious dweebs....

lKy8Y6zV.gif

FrwnBBo.gif

God, they are amazingly punchable.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I get that Matt is going full on HBK look right now but his face is way more punchable with the stupid sideburns and the rest clean shaven. You trying to win hearts, brother, or draw some fuckin' heat. Let's go.

• Haha 1

I'm glad AEW did well this week. This unopposed number put Dynamite within spitting distance of the last pre-WM Raw. Even if it's all just perception, I'd like to see WWE sweat it a little because of their general fan neglect.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

How did I forget to mention the ringside appearance of The Manscout, Jake Manning?

He wrestled Colt on one of the Dark shows this week.

• Like 1

Great finish to the opening tag. Very nice shit eating grin from Nick Jackson. Young Bucks 'face' work had been so lame for so long; enjoyed the BTE promo w/ Omega and while these outfits are clearly designed to be OTT they still look so much better than that 80s-tassle cosplay. Headbands with a Burning Man/Mykonos kind of vibe. Look forward to seeing them more in this role.

Had said last week that this week looks to be lined up nicely with lots of the "new guard" in action. Darby & Cargill both mega-money; Darby especially keeps ascending to bonafide draw. Fenix stud. Ogogo was great pick-up but his finisher punch looked really, really fake; presume he's pulling it extra carefully. Tyson's striking came off far better .. probably less restraint! Most of the lame stuff pulled this week; the Jericho song routine by contrast stands out like a sore thumb. Added up over a year they probably waste almost equivalent to an entire episode of Dynamite TV time standing cringe-worthily gawping at people being paid to pretend to have the time of their lives as they sing this song. Not cool. Elsewhere, nice mic work from JR putting Hobbs over. For the benefit of an even vaguely casual-fan, JR putting young talent over is gold-dust.

Edited by A_K

On 4/15/2021 at 9:28 PM, just drew said:

Now just imagine the number they'd do if their World Champ and Tag Champs weren't total pretentious dweebs....

I second the "about the same" answer. It doesn't matter who the champs of anything are, wrestling's kind of in the toilet popularity-wise, entertainment in general is fractured into more and more niches, and watching live television is increasingly rare. You could book whoever you want to win the straps but they'll be hard pressed to even have half the viewers of a 1999 episode of Nitro.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 10:05 AM, EVA said:

I don’t know why this just occurred to me, but they’re definitely going to book Ogogo vs. Paul Wight at some point, aren’t they?

I know everyone has been traumatized by TNA being WWE's only "competition" since 2001, but I think AEW has more self-awareness than this.

The Bucks are so much more tolerable when they’re being deliberately intolerable. Honestly, don’t see how there was ever any debate over whether they should be heel or not. Thought that match was fun and enjoyed their heeling. It still went a bit overkill towards the end, I can’t stand cutesy shit like that double poison rana spot. But, to be fair, it didn’t go into kickout overkill and had a nice heel spot for the finish.

Jade/Red Velvet was fun. When I saw it was going through a break I thought they might expose Jade a bit by going too long but I thought that was really smartly worked. I like that they’re emphasising that she’s still a rookie, along with her cockiness, it adds a vulnerability which I think makes it more believable that she doesn’t totally steamroll someone like Velvet. I hope they take their time still, and please don’t have her working forced epic stuff, but I think Jade could become really good. I think they fucked up the booking of Nyla as the monster of the division so hopefully they don’t make similar mistakes.

• Like 3

On 4/17/2021 at 3:27 PM, Sex Machine Gun said:

they'll be hard pressed to even have half the viewers of a 1999 episode of Nitro.

I'm not sure how that's relevant or even what you're trying to say.  The entertainment landscape is so different now from what it was 22 years ago, so I'm not sure the two even compare.  I mean I guess fewer people are watching wrestling overall now but that's not AEW's fault.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I'm not sure how that's relevant or even what you're trying to say.  The entertainment landscape is so different now from what it was 22 years ago, so I'm not sure the two even compare.  I mean I guess fewer people are watching wrestling overall now but that's not AEW's fault.

I just said all of that right before the sentence you actually quoted.