DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/14/2021

Dolfan in NYC

the Bucks turn from so torn to full on heels seemed a bit drastic but I enjoyed the tag title opener. thought Red Vel and Jade both looked good again. Jericho/Dax was good stuff and Iron Mike was awesome. Epic outfit as special enforcer and the knockout punch was absolutely perfect. Kris Stat squash of Amber Nova was fun. Looking forward to Shida/Tay next week. I'm glad they brought the rankings in to Britt's title chase as I wasn't huge on her just becoming the challenger coming off losing to Thunder Rosa (and losing to Nyla not long before that). Loved the chaos of the main event. I dug how the interference had it's place then cleared out and allowed for Darby/Matt to continue one on one to the finish, and a spectacular finish at that. Another enjoyable week of Dynamite with plenty to look forward to next.

• Like 3

The Bucks turn was poorly executed but the tag match was good really good they won with a heel move, removing a Luchadores mask. So they’ve committed but what about last week warrants those outfits during Kenny’s promo this week?

• Like 1

My favorite part of the show was Statlander. I forgot how much I was getting into her before her injury. She is really fun, and teaming her with the Goof Troop is a nice touch. 

The Young Bucks actually made me not interested in a PAC match. That's a pretty impressive feat. I couldn't believe it went 30 minutes. 

2 hours ago, Jamal said:

Good stuff from Jade and Velvet. Red Velvet has been one of my favorites for a while now and Jade is joining her.  Also great to see Statlander return. The pieces of the women's division have really come together. 

Yeah that was good. Women’s division is really solid now. Still have Deeb to return too. They just don’t have the airtime. 100x better. 

I enjoyed the show more than most it seems. My biggest gripe was how they just flashed a graphic for Tay vs shida next week. Seemed like they were setting that up to be a major match (or I was rooting for it) and they just name dropped it for next week. 

Really great show tonight. Much, much, much better than last week. 

Bucks vs Death Triangle was the shit. Bucks working as full on heels was good. They really had me with the Black Arrow false finish.

Ogogo CRITICAL'd a dude. That was awesome. 

Jericho vs Dax was some pretty fun old school stuff. Surprised that the IC keeps getting the upper hand on Pinnacle. Jericho continues to scare me doing the Lions Lionsault.

It was nice seeing Statlander back and she looked pretty good in the ring. 

Main event was a fun mess. Love that you have to kill Darby to beat him. 

Next week looks really awesome. 

• Like 3

This opening Bucks heel promo - didn't they already do all this shit last year and then just retcon it out because it went nowhere? Tony needs to get a grip on whoever is booking this shit because its dreadful. For all this talk of how AEW are booking long-term, this feels like they are making it up as they go along.

There will be some who cream over that opening tag, but honestly it was the sort of match that made me think I'll stop watching this promotion. Maybe I'll just skip all the Elite stuff. It's not for me. 

4th Britt Baker promo in a row despite losing the Lights Out. No sign of Rosa still.

On the upside:

Jade vs Velvet was a pretty hot match that helped cleanse the pallet. Short, heated, and had a clear hierarchy between them. More of that.

Wheeler sold that Tyson punch like a motherfucker. Yeesh.

I am down for Christian vs Hobbs and Darby vs Miro on the docket

Darby vs Hardy was a total blast. Darby kicking out of the chair Twist of Fate and the table legdrop were both a bridge too far, but otherwise a great match. Felt like a war and that finish was awesome. Had no idea Whitmer was a producer in AEW either.

Edited by killsteve
  • Like 1

Im torn on whether or not I liked Ogogo doing the Mickey Ward finish on the same show Tyson knocked Cash out. And BIGGEST SHOUT EVER to Cash's fencing response sell!!! I was huge into that.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I want everyone to know I can't stop saying "shit bag" today. Christian won the exchange but that ruled
  • Like 2

Great show!

Starting out the show with a hot, 30+ minute tag title match?  A few didn't like it.  I did.  But I'm a PWG fan so I've maybe built up my Bucks tolerance?  YMMV.  Nice cheap heel heat finish!   Who called the Bucks swapping their tassels for fur and boots for Nike/Dior?  And those beaded headbands?  That's how you do a heel turn.  It's like Barry Windham joining the Horseman and showing up with a ponytail and all black gear.  Or any other wrestler joining the Horsemen and showing up the next week dressed about 50% fancier.  You don't just turn heel and start wrestling different people.  You embrace it.  Also LOL @ Matt Jackson's babyface greatest hits compilation.  The Bucks needed to be heels and it's cool to see a different look after 10+ years.  I really loved them bringing back the handspring backrake, too!  Can't wait for the inevitable No DQ match when they can do it with an actual garden rake like in the old days, as someone else here mentioned.

God damn Nick Comorato is a hairy dude.  Looks like a caveman.  QT walking to the ring looking pissed.  I'd be pissed too if I dropped a bunch of money on hair replacement and my boy still had more hair between his titties than I had on my head. Fans weren't into Ogogo's belly welly punch ref stoppage.  It's cool, these things take time.  I remember when Brock first started, it took a bit for the spinning powerbomb ref stoppage to get over.  Of course HHH killed that because it was getting him over too much it didn't make sense, but that's another story for another day.

Shut the fuck up JR of the day: "nobody wants to get hit in the face in a wrestling match, especially a pretty lady."  Then he did a whole disclaimer about not maybe being "politically correct" (only garbage people say that) before talking about how Statlander has gotten into better shape, which is I guess best we can hope for on the JR scale of talking 'bout tha ladiez.

We had a little discussion yesterday about Dax probably not doing the job because he already jobbed to Jungle Boy.  Which was ridiculous to me because a tag guy loses absolutely zero shine getting beaten by 1) a guy at his own level (Jungle Boy) and then 2) a former world champ.  I figured he'd take then pin and of course he does.  Because more often than not, AEW is not booked like shit by a guy who hates the common tropes of wrestling and logical booking.  Really good match.  Good involvement by Tyson.  I liked having fewer people at ringside after two weeks of Bunkhouse matches.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL at the streak continuing with another promo being interrupted.  "Got that bingo hall money" is the dumbest, most Vince insult 21 years after the death of ECW.  Taz's comeback of "no, other money...other money" was equally weak.  "Has other money" NEEDS to be someone's custom title here.  Hobbs is the best and I'm really looking forward to Christian vs really anyone in Team Taz.  Someone here mentioned how we need more veterans wrestling younger guys and I agree.

The main was good enough, I guess. I liked Darby Allin figuring the best way to drag a good match out of immobile Matt Hardy is to just let him walk around and kick his ass for a long time  He did his best with what he had.  Enjoying Lance Hoyt getting a little love from Sting last week and desperately craving more.  I was going to say it seemed TK had learned from two weeks of Meltzer bitching about 60-70 guys being thrown into the show in ringside roles by dialing it back somewhat, but then we get a 15 guy run-in in the main.  Ah well...baby steps.

Southwestern Eggrolls are the best.

Miro is out to kill everyone now so stop complaining!  

Jericho went all Winter Soldier and made amends with people he'd wronged.  Not the best story but WWE wouldn't have even bothered to explain why Tyson was now on his side, so I'll take it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Web Conn said:

The Bucks turn was poorly executed but the tag match was good really good they won with a heel move, removing a Luchadores mask. So they’ve committed but what about last week warrants those outfits during Kenny’s promo this week?

Kenny sat with them on this week's BTE and said that something needs to change and that they had to change as well.  So the stuff people liked like the gear had to go.  While I do wish it was brought up on the show at least something that happened earlier in the week led to what we got.  And FWIW the Bucks still seemed a bit hesitant during that so the pep talk is what fully brought them to the dark side.

10 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

the Bucks turn from so torn to full on heels seemed a bit drastic but I enjoyed the tag title opener.

With how much things got fucked up in their feud with FTR plus the backlash from last week I think they realized they had to just make this happen once and for all.  For all we know they might have had a couple more weeks of dragging out the hesitation getting to this moment but due to last week scrapped it.  Which is fine by me as now there's clear focus on what's going on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Im torn on whether or not I liked Ogogo doing the Mickey Ward finish on the same show Tyson knocked Cash out. And BIGGEST SHOUT EVER to Cash's fencing response sell!!! I was huge into that.

Tyson's not going to be around that often- and Ogogo was a champ itself so it makes sense.  However, a punch to the gut shouldn't be a fulltime finish, just a jobber killer.  It makes no sense that he wouldn't just punch someone in the gut and win in a minute every time with that finish.

Ogogo really looks like money though, easily a blue chip propsect if he can stay healthy.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

We had a little discussion yesterday about Dax probably not doing the job because he already jobbed to Jungle Boy.  Which was ridiculous to me because a tag guy loses absolutely zero shine getting beaten by 1) a guy at his own level (Jungle Boy) and then 2) a former world champ.  I figured he'd take then pin and of course he does.  Because more often than not, AEW is not booked like shit by a guy who hates the common tropes of wrestling and logical booking.

Yeah .. I think you’ll find I wrote that it wouldn’t be a clean finish. And - surprise, surprise - I was right, it wasn’t a clean finish with the distraction on apron. But kudos for thinking not jobbing one half of your GOAT-proposed tag team in both of his calendar-year singles bouts is more contrary to “the common tropes of wrestling and logical booking” then, say, people being thrown into pools of mimosas or having people sacrificially dive onto each other as if they’re at the Somme while birthday candles sparkle around them ...

Edited by A_K

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Shut the fuck up JR of the day: "nobody wants to get hit in the face in a wrestling match, especially a pretty lady."  Then he did a whole disclaimer about not maybe being "politically correct" (only garbage people say that) before talking about how Statlander has gotten into better shape, which is I guess best we can hope for on the JR scale of talking 'bout tha ladiez.

At first I was going to point it out and refer to you but I had a feeling you would mention it anyway.  I try not to gripe about JR since he's been largely fine recently.  But the disclaimer was just too much to ignore.  I guess what he said after could have been much worse but is it really that hard to just let Excalibur talk about stuff like that instead?  Poor guy always has to cover for him.

4 minutes ago, A_K said:

Yeah .. I think you’ll find I wrote that it wouldn’t be a clean finish. And - surprise, surprise - I was right, it wasn’t a clean finish with the distraction on apron. But kudos for thinking not jobbing one half of your GOAT-proposed tag team in both of his calendar-year singles bouts is more contrary to “the common tropes of wrestling and logical booking” then, say, people being thrown into pools of mimosas or having people sacrificially dive onto each other as if they’re at the Somme while birthday candles sparkle around them ...

There was an interesting post yesterday about people watching a show they clearly dislike just to complain...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

There was an interesting post yesterday about people watching a show they clearly dislike just to complain...

Hey, if you want to be aggressive/passive-aggressive towards other comments when you write, be prepared to be brought up on it. There are plenty of compliments I’ve paid to AEW since inception and would love for the product to be good across the board. There’s also been an awful amount of dirge and deterioration, reflected in dramatic viewing figure drop offs. Can ignore it, or highlight it. Caught some of last night; will catch up on rest later.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

Sorry man, not trying to be passive aggressive, this shit just gets tiring.  We're going to disagree on how clean or unclean that finish was (I thought it was pretty clean in today's wrestling world), we're going to disagree on jobbing tag guys to singles guys, we're going to disagree on Mimosa Mayhem (I thought it was fine.  It was proposed by a delusional heel, who then lost his own match), and we might agree that the finish of the exploding match was shit but that wasn't on purpose.  After a while, it's just dull to keep posting "I disagree."  I think I'll limit myself to one or two, thanks.

• Like 1

There hasn't been dramatic viewing figure drop offs, though. Year to year the show is holding up fine. In fact, wasn't it up in the demo last week? A lot of the ratings chatter, especially short-term, is a little reactionary. 

• Like 1