DVDVR Message Board

NXTuesday - 4/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

So, will Lumis see the tape that Indi was faking it before next week's show? Or is that not part of NXT Universe internal logic? 

I'm assuming so.  But if she's smart she'll explain to him that the only punishments she'll accept are the ones from Castle Anthrax. 

gfkJzMIx8bdH.gif

Kushida beating Escobar in an impromptu match is perfect booking. Escobar is ready to move up, Kushida badly needs something positive after months of losses, the CW belt doesn't lose any momentum because despite the aforementioned losses, everyone knows Kushida can go and is a very credible champ relative to that division. I have to say I love a good jackknife pin too. Anyone who has ever play-wrestled as a kid knows how little pressure it takes to keep someone down when they're folded up like that. So much more believable as a flash win move than a school boy.

The main event was super fun and if this was WWE testing the waters on more intergender style matches instead of their stupid mixed tag rules, I'm here for it. The women can all hang, and it's pretty easy to do non-uncomfortable intergender pro wrestling when it's all technical stuff. Pro wrestling is all about presentation and if you present the women as equally matched with the men, the audience will buy it.

The only disappointing thing on the show is more Karrion Kross talking like a normal person. If you lean into the supernatural and mysterious aspects of the Kross/Scarlett act as heels, you have money. Kross cutting generic babyface promos while no one can discern his relationship with Scarlett or explain why he acts weird sometimes and normal at others is a recipe for a quick failure of a title run.

The move to Tuesday kind of screws me over since we have too much on DVR that night. I have to watch whatever is available on Hulu and/or Peacock. Missed out on Swerve/Ruff & Mercedes/Kamea. Watched it on hulu so hopefully the Peacock version will be more complete whenever it actually goes up.

Franky Monet's debut was kind of just there to me. Feels like Raquel is more of a face or tweener after this segment. I'm ok with that.

I'm ok with Kushida beating Escobar. Escobar is ready to move on to bigger things and Kushida has needed a big win for a while now. I still think he should have been NA champ already.

Looking forward to Sarray's debut. Always nice to see them set up international signings as big deals.

The mixed tag was chaotic and super fun. Indi's obsession with Lumis is wonderful and she did great things with it here. Theory bumping around like Michaels & Perfect at times made for some fun stuff well. The Way may honestly be the best thing in NXT at the moment if only for their characters.

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The only disappointing thing on the show is more Karrion Kross talking like a normal person. If you lean into the supernatural and mysterious aspects of the Kross/Scarlett act as heels, you have money. Kross cutting generic babyface promos while no one can discern his relationship with Scarlett or explain why he acts weird sometimes and normal at others is a recipe for a quick failure of a title run.

This.  His entrance is pretty good, from a presentation standpoint, but it makes you think he's going to do some sort of mysterious Undertaker/Bray Wyatt gimmick, and then he starts talking and wrestling and every bit of aura he had on his way to the ring evaporates. Aside from his entrance, I find him mostly generic.  Mostly generic big man look, mic skills, moveset, etc.  He's in the unenviable position of having a look that stands out in the real world, but not in pro wrestling, where large, menacing-looking guys with a lot of tats are fairly commonplace.

My main problem with his entrance is that it kinda reminds me of Mil Muertes and Catrina, and I'd much prefer to watch Mil Muertes and Catrina.

Show was fairly good but four nights a week of wrestling is way too much for me to keep up with, and I kinda feel like I might just prefer to ignore all of it instead of try to keep up.  I watched half a match of AEW tonight before clocking out,

58 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I like Kross as a wrestler but he, Damian Priest, and Aleister Black have more or less the same character. He and Scarlett's entrance is more corny than anything else.

Eh, Priest is more of a goth partier than a dark arts guy. The comparison to Black in NXT is good though. Much Like Black, Kross' entrance starts to come across as corny because he has no character reason for it, so we're just left to assume he's doing it because he thinks it looks cool, which of course makes it a lot less cool. If Scarlett was still doing her psychic puppetmaster thing, then an entrance that highlights her god complex backed up by a big scary guy who does her dirty work would make perfect sense (in pro wrestling terms).

Wow! Well, this was pretty much everything RAW apparently wasn't. No clear challengers for Kross yet, but the Women's division is indeed on fire.

I don't mind Raquel smiling more, as long as she keeps threatning to shove stuff up her opponents' asses! So far, Dakota showed zero signs of jealousy or envy, but it's early days.

Indi and Dexter has the potential to be the next Otis and Mandy - saga, although this will probably actually lead to a real conclusion. NXT hasn't attempted anything like this before, right? The results so far have been promising, but it may end in tears. That can be a good or a bad thing, though.

So, are Ciampa and Thatcher going after MSK, or Imperium? Ciampa was talking about the titles and I don't see him wanting anything to do with WALTER again.

Kushida was the way to move Escobar to bigger things and they will probably now use Devlin to establish Kushida as the top cruiser weight.

I expected this to show up on the Network yesterday, but apparently I have to wait until Thursday, like it was before.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm assuming so.  But if she's smart she'll explain to him that the only punishments she'll accept are the ones from Castle Anthrax. 

gfkJzMIx8bdH.gif

Maybe the entire Way will enjoy a good spanking at the hands of Lumis, before this is all said and done?

...also, speaking of Anthrax, we know that Johnny and Candice already consider Lumis the Public Enemy, but I have to wonder if Indi is still going to be the one who Brings the Noize in this case?

Edited by Shartnado
Anthrax pun...
  • Like 1

I know it’s a stupid thing to complain about, but what’s the point of that womens champs bit?

NXT is the 3rd brand/main roster feeder system, it seems completely unremarkable that all the current champs are from NXT, that’s the norm now. I know they’ve had rivalries but they’re not really associated with each other in a a 4 horsewomen sort of way. And it’s not like they’ve moved up together from working tiny indies so it hardly seems like a ‘started from the bottom, now we’re here’ thing.

I don’t know, it just feels empty and self-congratulatory, plus it’s basically out of character for all of them.

• Thanks 1

I think it was primarily for a photo op or video package material. It did seem off as a "next generation" type of thing, since the 4HW are all still in their primes and figure to have many more title runs before their careers are over.

I noticed that Friday and was going to gripe about it here.  But seriously what in the flying fuck is that shit?  I know that HHH is all about metal which I can appreciate but there's absolutely no good reason to add all that crap to it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I noticed that Friday and was going to gripe about it here.  But seriously what in the flying fuck is that shit?  I know that HHH is all about metal which I can appreciate but there's absolutely no good reason to add all that crap to it.

Yeah, this seems like a situation, where a bunch of people kept adding in stuff they thought would be cool without considering the whole. There are many things that would not be bad at all by themselves, but if you mesh them up together, you end up with SUPERtigerNINJAblastCHAINSAWmissileSKULLhalf-nakedboobies! As in WTF just happened?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

31 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, this seems like a situation, where a bunch of people kept adding in stuff they thought would be cool without considering the whole. There are many things that would not be bad at all by themselves, but if you mesh them up together, you end up with SUPERtigerNINJAblastCHAINSAWmissileSKULLhalf-nakedboobies! As in WTF just happened?

In full agreement. Looks like shit.

• Like 1