DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 37 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

How about the "Head of the Table" story writes itself and would sell a billion tickets and PPVs and everyone would be glued to the TV screen? Nobody said he's gotta go over...    

There's a time and a place for part timers that's the one  instance where  it'd be perfect.  Much better than people wanting CM Punk back for no reason at all. 

You've brought that up a couple times now about Rock going over. To be fair, I think the majority doesn't think that would happen. As for selling tickets, it's WM. WHY, fucking why do you or other people keep going back to selling tickets. Tickets for WM are going to sell regardless. No matter how many times fans have been burned by Orton and Wyatt wrestling on a mat with worms on it, or Roman beating HHH or Undertaker, or whatever, WM still sells out the next year. Then, now, forever. Pointing out that Roman vs the Rock would sell tickets is dumb. And if you want to point out the Rock moving the dial, nobody in a meaningful way moves the dial anymore. Cool, Raw or SD will get a bump of something like 100k viewers for one week before going back to normal or staying there. WWE has their money from Fox and USA anyway. If they gave a shit enough about ratings and viewership then they would have done something meaningful years ago instead of spending however many 10s of millions of dollars to sign the Rock to a match at WM. And then what? The Rock loses, he's off of TV again, and viewership goes back to where it was because the rest of the booking is still crummy and shows are still re-written the day of. 

The Rock vs Roman Reigns does. not. matter.

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You guys do realize there's a better chance of them bringing over Drew  in the draft to beat Roman than the Big E story?  Since we wanna discuss what's realistic. 

i love Big E.   Don't get your hopes up.. 

Now this...This is sadly more likely.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

You've brought that up a couple times now about Rock going over. To be fair, I think the majority doesn't think that would happen. As for selling tickets, it's WM. WHY, fucking why do you or other people keep going back to selling tickets. Tickets for WM are going to sell regardless.

The last time they were  in Dallas they were struggling to get that place filled and Shane McMahon of all people ended up helping the sales.  100,000  is A LOT of people..     it'd be one thing  if  it was a regular 60,000  that's doable just off the name alone. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah .. it’s not a dumb point at all, it’s a very good one. You also charge ticket prices equivalent to demand. Romans-Rock hypercharges demand .. and therefore hypercharges prices and hypercharges revenue. Of course promoting marquee, era-defining bouts matters. It’s the very name of the game.

Dude, I know you don't live in a wrestling bubble so I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this to you, but the moment the Rangers announced full attendance and the moment UFC put tickets on sale for their show in Texas, they both sold out. While this Mania was big because they were back in a stadium and had some fans there, this will be the first normal WM in years. You're not going to need the Rock to sell out.

The Rangers fucking suck and I don't even know if UFC released what the card was going to be and if they both sold out, what do you think is going to happen when it's the first WM that people from overseas can freely travel to again?

• Haha 1

Rock/Roman is an interesting match with the family aspect and would be big for Wrestlemania, but it doesn't really need to happen there if they actually did it. They could use it for Summerslam or even Survivor Series if they were able to pull it off. I would have little worry about Rock going over since I almost don't see him bothering unless it is to put Roman over. That is family, and the Rock is too damn busy  to even work a Brock schedule realistically speaking anyways. 

In general though i don;t see it happening. Offhand, the only two people who come to mind that should probably beat Roman for the belt are Big E and Keith Lee. Honestly, I kind of want them to do a switcheroo with Big E taking a shot at Lashley's title down the line, not only to win the big one, but also to reunite New Day while Lee switches over to challenge Roman.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I feel asleep at the start of night . Not for any lack of interest. It's frustrating that I can't hit the rewind during the live stream. That's my biggest complaint because if I miss something or get preoccupied with something, I could easily go back watch at my own pace on the same night. I really want to see Sheamus vs Riddle. Rea vs Asuka and the Main Event.

Night 1 was a really good show. Watched Bianca vs Banks again and I thought it was like Sasha vs Bayley at NXT Takeover Brooklyn level on a bigger stage. I saw HHH tweet about Sasha being a General, I very much agree. Austin kinda mentioned the same thing when she was on his Podcast.

I really enjoyed Lashley vs McIntyre too. I'm more of a fan of his inring work than most people and I think he's delivered every PPV since he started being positions as the top guy on RAW, if you can look past the way he's been booked he's done the best he could to atleast have a good match

Edited by Ziggy

I actually like that idea of using Rock/Roman to run a stadium show with another one of your big PPV's, knowing that WM sells on name alone anyway. It fits the timeline with respect to both the story as well as COVID restrictions better, too. Given months of advance advertising, I wonder what a summer timeframe Rock/Roman stadium match in a big market would draw

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Now Rock vs Roman at a stadium Summerslam I could get behind, but I still doubt the Rock has the time to do it.

The Rose Bowl would be an amazing Stadium Summerslam Venue plus you get the added element that Roman is coming to the Rock's new home to embarrass him to show why he is Head of the Table. 

11 hours ago, nate said:

All in for a Kabuki Bosses year-long run with the tag belts.

Ohhhhhh man. Asuka and Sasha as lady yakuza... Getting around in suits, putting bounties on people, smacking around young lionesses from NXT...

• Like 2

Surprised to see a consensus of night 1 being significantly better than 2. I thought the good stuff was pretty evenly spread out, and night 2 was probably a better overall show on its own.

Lashley/Drew was the opener, but it should not have been worked like an opener. Fine match, but pretty forgettable in the grand scheme of things, which isn't something you want for one of your main titles.

The tag turmoil was nothing but botchamaina material and if they were just gonna do one-off challenger, the Riott Squad would've been way better to give that rub to.

Cesaro/Rollins was solid. That was one of Cesaro's better looking UFOs too, got several hands free rotations in.

Interesting role-reversal in the tag title match. Omos appears to be more on the Khali end of the hoss spectrum, but there's some potential for the act with AJ working behind him.

Shane got too much offense on Braun, but overall was pretty inoffensive as far as Shane McMahon matches go.

Bad Bunny doing a Canadian Destroyer is the nadir of the overuse of that move. Good for him putting the work in, though, not too bad for a couple months of training. Priest doing so little in the match was weird, like he was hurt or something.

Sasha/Bianca was good, though a bit overrated I'm thinking. I think the result being obvious based on the pre-match reactions hurt it. Break character after the match, not before. At least that hair whip will live forever in WM lore.

I have to say I loved the 6-month feud with people coming back from people being set on fire ending with one RKO in the ring. I say this every time Bray loses a feud that went on way too long and I'm always disappointed, but still... I hope this is the last we see of Bray Wyatt.

Women's tag was as good as you could hope for given the participants. Shayna is doing a lot of thankless work these days.

Sami/KO was fun as usual. With as nuts as they were going with moves, they should've just let KO dust off the package piledriver for his Mania Moment.

Sheamus/Riddle was also a nice midcard match. Sheamus looked monstrous and Riddle is athletic enough to always deliver credible offense. Sheamus has found that spark again, and he got a well-deserved win, while Riddle didn't look bad at all in the clean loss.

Shame about Apollo's gimmick, but at least he's finally getting to show some of his skill. Another good midcard match that had big moments without going full overkill. Didn't mind the fuck finish since E should be protected somewhat even though Apollo badly needed a win.

Rhea/Asuka was not as good as I would've hoped. Not sure if Rhea is supposed to be a heel now or what, but the match felt off most of the way. Methodical is not her style.

Triple threat was fine. They still shouldn't have Jey helping Roman win every match, but they haven't stopped for the last 4 months, so why start now? It makes less sense, because KO is exactly the level of guy you have your new heel ace beat clean to establish dominance, and neither of the two guys here really needed protecting. If we can't get rid of Bray forever, I'll settle for getting rid of Edge. I can't think of a less inspiring "legend" comeback, and I enjoyed most of Edge's career.

6 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Bad Bunny doing a Canadian Destroyer is the nadir of the overuse of that move. Good for him putting the work in, though, not too bad for a couple months of training. Priest doing so little in the match was weird, like he was hurt or something.

Meltzer said Priest is dealing with a bad back and was touch and go leading up which was why they originally announced Bad Bunny vs Miz one on one

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Now Rock vs Roman at a stadium Summerslam I could get behind, but I still doubt the Rock has the time to do it.

Even though Rock seems open to it, and Roman is probably the only person he'd do this for now, he seems busier than ever. Dude might be running for President in the next eight years or so. It's just hard to imagine him finding time to do this right now. 

It's quite a tired talking point now, but each night had a one hour preshow to recap and hype up all the angles with no matches interspersed. They still had to proceed every match with a video package that was almost as long as some of the matches themeselves.

• Like 1

Night 2 was not quite as good, but still enjoyable. As far as opener goes, is it fair to assume that Sister Abigail gave The Fiend the no-selling powers and can take them away at will?

Bazler & Jax retaining was the right move and makes Night 1's result look more sensible.

Sami vs KO was fine, but no real shits given.

Riddle vs Sheamus was good but with a couple of brutal botches. Ending was gnarly.

The Nigerian Letter Fight was what it was and with a name like that Big E was expected to be screwed out of his gold.

Good for Rhea to be finally getting the entrance she should have gotten last year. Asuka and Bray probably have interesting conversations on how WrestleManias suck! I paid zero attention to this match, and I don't see a scenario where I'm going to give it another go.

Main event was very good, but the way it was building up, you could tell that the sensible finish was indeed Reigns retaining.

In the field of Musicians singing live during a Wrestling show, Ash Costello and the guy who sings Cody Rhodes' theme both had severe issues (most likely they couldn't hear themselves, like that time Sinead O'Connor did Conor McGregor's entrance at that one UFC). Whereas whenever Poppy is on NXT, she's right on point. Unless she mimes every time.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

In the field of Musicians singing live during a Wrestling show, Ash Costello and the guy who sings Cody Rhodes' theme both had severe issues (most likely they couldn't hear themselves, like that time Sinead O'Connor did Conor McGregor's entrance at that one UFC). Whereas whenever Poppy is on NXT, she's right on point. Unless she mimes every time.

Lipsynch or not, Poppy had far and away best performance of the week.

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sometimes the best answer is:  Do nothing.   They shouldn't do anything with Roman.   Build up challengers and have him mow them down.  Cesaro and Big E are both good candidates to be elevated but fall short.  

The Rock HAS to happen.  That is a 100,000 AT&T Stadium match.  

The only problems with Reigns vs Rock at WM is:

1.  The narrative is that Reigns should have won this year because there is no value in Bryan or Edge winning the title.  It should be given to someone who really needs it like Big E or Cesaro like people.  How does losing to the Rock change that?   Reigns can't be champion going into the match I would think.  

2.  if the Rock is willing to lose, you better get ready for Brock Lesnar X 3 New Orleans against Reigns reaction from the fans.  Although maybe that is what they are trying to do

I agree that it has to happen.  So much story around it on the biggest stage ever.  But to say it is complicated is an understatement

12 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Boy am I glad someone else is pushing back against the "sell tickets for Mania" narrative. Also, whoever thinks there was a legit 100k in Dallas in 2016 is out of their mind.

Maybe I am naïve but I think they could have given the legit attendance at that WM and still break the imaginary 93,000 at WM.  But saying 95,000 doesn't sound as sexy as saying that 105,000 or something they claims.

As someone who was there this year, as goofy as the cardboard cut outs probably looked on TV,  the idea of watching a show with about 2 or 3 seats space is so nice.    

Edited by hammerva