DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 37 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

No doubt about it, Big E should be the one to be super elevated to defeat Roman. You HAVE to create a new star that has some kind of parity with Roman, a Macho Man to his Hogan if you will. What good does it do to build to Roman vs the Rock for the next year while crushing competition and ensuring they all stay under the glass ceiling? At some point, you need to give people a reason to give a shit.

If you can reunite the New Day on either show, you immediately set up that Big E storyline.  Have either monster, Lashley or Roman, take out Kofi and Woods and have E go serious killer en route to getting revenge for his friends.  Heck, you really don't even HAVE to reunite him, he could jump brands to get his vengeance.

Building up Big E as Roman's next challenger is definitely the best way to go. I just hope they don't use him as a filler challenger at one of the smaller PPVs. If they can get a full crowd for Summerslam that would be the place to pull the trigger. Sign me up for a New Day vs Roman/Usos six man or two during the buildup.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Building up Big E as Roman's next challenger is definitely the best way to go. I just hope they don't use him as a filler challenger at one of the smaller PPVs. If they can get a full crowd for Summerslam that would be the place to pull the trigger. Sign me up for a New Day vs Roman/Usos six man or two during the buildup.

Yeah, a potential New Day vs. Roman/Usos match as part of the storyline would be awesome.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

While both the 6 mans and the E/Roman 1:1 would be amazing, my only concern is booking yourself into a corner. E can't really lose his big world title chance when it comes, and Roman shouldn't be losing clean to anyone for a good long while - this summer feels way too soon.

I agree, you would need an interim challenger and start the E storyline around Survivor Series or so.

I loosely pay attention these days but i watched a good bit of the build up and some of Mania. 

Roman reminds me of Okada a few years ago when he was head and shoulders above anyone in wrestling, just leave him continue smash dudes and cut killer promos for at least another 6 months. 

9 hours ago, AxB said:

In the field of Musicians singing live during a Wrestling show, Ash Costello and the guy who sings Cody Rhodes' theme both had severe issues (most likely they couldn't hear themselves, like that time Sinead O'Connor did Conor McGregor's entrance at that one UFC). Whereas whenever Poppy is on NXT, she's right on point. Unless she mimes every time.

The timing was so far off on Rhea's entrance. You could see that she practically had to sprint out and do the "foot stompy" part of her entrance because the tempo was wrong.

I'm pretty sure the audio for Ash was off, like they didn't have enough time for a proper sound check or something. Also I'm not sure if her band was using a backing track or is they were playing instruments since it sounded so off.

Getting the audio right for a live performance in a stadium always sounds like a nightmare. It makes sense why Wale would just lip sync to avoid any issues.

Bray Wyatt as the Fiend was truly neutered losing his first match back after getting burned alive and falling to one RKO at WrestleMania XXXVII. Bray must be pissed at that. More often than not, Bray loses the big one.

On 4/12/2021 at 7:18 AM, LP Steve said:

I'm writing so the more WWE-literate people can tell me what I'm missing about the booking of that main event. If, as the announcer kept saying, it was "perfectly legal" for the Uso kid to become part of the match and lay waste to Roman's opponents, why didn't the announcer also point out that Edge and Bryan were stupid not to bring their own backup? Or was it somehow only legal for Roman to have help? And after the finish, why were they putting Roman over as this all-conquering demigod when he won the match in classic chickenshit heel fashion, i.e., with outside interference? 

They decided a few years back that Triple Threat matches are always no-DQ. It's phenomenally stupid, for the reasons you point out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tbarrie said:

They decided a few years back that Triple Threat matches are always no-DQ. It's phenomenally stupid, for the reasons you point out.

From the very beginning Triple Threats in WWE have been "only pinfall or submission" so basically no-DQ. Since this almost always leads to somebody interfering "legally" , shouldn't the officials do something to fix this loophole? Competitors can do whatever, but an outside interference leads to elimination and the match will continue as one on one until there is a winner?

24 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

From the very beginning Triple Threats in WWE have been "only pinfall or submission" so basically no-DQ.

This is true, but it needs an asterisk. I found the WWE's first triple threat match on YouTube once, and the announcers did in fact say it was pinfall or submission only. But somebody evidently forgot to tell the workers, because there were multiple points where the heels' seconds distracted the ref so their man could do something nefarious. The seconds certainly didn't interfere freely.

And as I recall, they spent a decade or more simply not addressing the question of DQs or count-outs in Triple Threats. And it may be the Mandela Effect, but I'm sure I saw a heel defending one of the midcard titles in a Triple Threat walk off and take the count-out loss to save his title once. (Of course, this was in the Attitude Era, the absolute nadir for coherency in WWE. So maybe it's not fair to count that.)

24 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Since this almost always leads to somebody interfering "legally" , shouldn't the officials do something to fix this loophole? Competitors can do whatever, but an outside interference leads to elimination and the match will continue as one on one until there is a winner?

This should be the rule for any count-out or DQ in a Triple Threat, unless the storyline calls for an actual "Anything goes" match.

14 hours ago, Shartnado said:

From the very beginning Triple Threats in WWE have been "only pinfall or submission" so basically no-DQ. Since this almost always leads to somebody interfering "legally" , shouldn't the officials do something to fix this loophole? Competitors can do whatever, but an outside interference leads to elimination and the match will continue as one on one until there is a winner?

This is the most self-evidently sensible thing to do, which is why it will never happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1