DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 37 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

We had a real fun time in the Discord chat with this one. The show was decent enough, good mains, doesn't seem like it was anywhere near the first night, but I'm glad I watched for sure. 

The quote of the night was definitely these three words...

Hide contents

BOX

STRUCTURE

???

Yes, but don't you DARE say "belt". 

One of us in the chat thought that they were afraid of saying 'jack in the box' because of possibly getting sued by Jack-In-The-Box, but then Cole said "jack in the box-like structure" during the replay ? 

Speaking of which, for what reason did we need a replay of probably the worst thing on the show besides the women's tag? With the abruptness of the Rhea/Asuka finish it felt like they cut the time of that match just to slip that in, which if true would be ridiculous. I don't think that's the case but it wasn't a good look.

• Haha 2

Main event was fine, but it didn't feel like a WrestleMania main event match. They put in Daniel Bryan, but I feel like he added little to the match other than to give the fans someone else to cheer, when the storyline was set up to be Reigns vs. Edge. It felt more like a Fastlane or Backlash main event. Or an extended big match Raw main event. I did enjoy Edge and Bryan fighting over the submission and head-butting each other. To me the only way to go forward with this is to have Edge snap and become a psychopath again because all his dreams were shattered and he'll blame Daniel Bryan for it.

As for Roman Reigns, the obvious next big challenger for him is Big E. 

The Fiend vs. Randy Orton was horse manure. I never want to see them wrestle again. And yes, WWE has ruined The Fiend. And they've pretty much done everything they can to ruin Wyatt at every turn as soon as he gets an angle or character over.

I'm happy Rhea Ripley got the win. Hope they let her run with the brawl. I was disappointed that the fans felt a little tired for this one, but I enjoyed the finish with Ripley gutting through Asuka's kicks before she pinned her.

Yeah, Night 1 was better. Night 2 was pretty flaccid. 

Your WWE landscape after Wrestlemania:

-Smackdown Women's Champion: Face

-Universal Champion: Heel

-WWE Champion: Heel

-Intercontinental Champion: Heel

-U.S. Champion: Heel

-Raw Women's Champion: Heel

-Women's Tag Team Champions: Heels

-Raw Tag Team Champions: Heels

-Smackdown Tag Team Champions: Heels

Edited by Gonzo
  • Haha 1

Orton beating Bray outta nowhere~! in 5 minutes was excellent.

Tamina/Natalya v. Shayna/Nia was my favorite match of the night. Loved seeing the crowd pop for Tamina and I was rooting for her to win with the Superfly Splash, fun match. 

Sheamus/Riddle was like a condensed version of their recent Raw matches. Good and a well deserved victory for Sheamus who has been killing it for awhile now. Riddle segment with RVD/Khali was amusing. 

Enjoyed Rhea/Asuka. Loved Ash costello's performance for Rhea's entrance. Asuka's DDT off the apron looked killer. Only didn't love the ending as it felt really sudden and I wanted a bit more of this match. Great win for Rhea nonetheless but sad for Asuka to now go 0-4 at WM.

Main event never felt like the outcome was in doubt to me, in the build up or in the match. Overall enjoyable shows but it's going to be real shitty to go from this back to the stale ass thunderdome for another 5 months.

3 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Orton beating Bray outta nowhere~! in 5 minutes was excellent.

Tamina/Natalya v. Shayna/Nia was my favorite match of the night. Loved seeing the crowd pop for Tamina and I was rooting for her to win with the Superfly Splash, fun match. 

Sheamus/Riddle was like a condensed version of their recent Raw matches. Good and a well deserved victory for Sheamus who has been killing it for awhile now. Riddle segment with RVD/Khali was amusing. 

Enjoyed Rhea/Asuka. Loved Ash costello's performance for Rhea's entrance. Asuka's DDT off the apron looked killer. Only didn't love the ending as it felt really sudden and I wanted a bit more of this match. Great win for Rhea nonetheless but sad for Asuka to now go 0-4 at WM.

Main event never felt like the outcome was in doubt to me, in the build up or in the match. Overall enjoyable shows but it's going to be real shitty to go from this back to the stale ass thunderdome for another 5 months.

Sasha Banks (0-6) vs. Asuka (0-4) at WrestleMania XXXVIII. Promote it as one 0 will go!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

I was amused that Sami/Owens was worked like a 2000s NOAH main with all the neck death and then it ends on of all things, a stunner. I guess it was either that or switch the winner and let Sami use the corner brainbuster which is something that Vince has probably been shown a video of and said "no fucking way". 

Hogan getting booed again was great, and even better it was back-and-forth yays for Titus and boos for Hogan. Titus' hesitation at following the other two before finally bailing on Bayley was also great. Poor Bayley at least got some time on the show being a harpy towards everyone, but bumping for the Bellas sucks. I said in the chat that she needs her own Rebel/Reba but I don't know who that would be. 

• Like 3

I have so many great stories about the awesome time we had watching the last two nights with my 10 year old nephew and his friends. But I'll share this one. All the kids hated Riddle and popped out of their seats when Sheamus kicked his face off vs and won the US belt. My little gang of kids went full Philly heel fan during that match, and it made my heart swell.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Your WWE landscape after Wrestlemania:

-Smackdown Women's Champion: Face

-Universal Champion: Heel

-WWE Champion: Heel

-Intercontinental Champion: Heel

-U.S. Champion: Heel

-Raw Women's Champion: Heel

-Women's Tag Team Champions: Heels

-Raw Tag Team Champions: Heels

-Smackdown Tag Team Champions: Heels

Couple things..     i'm pretty sure Rhea is a face.  i realize she turned on Asuka but to me that was one of those standard WWE  "babyface being a dick"  turns.  

Also..   Lashley has been in a tweener role.  You could argue flat out heel but he seems to want to destroy everyone.  

Really, really happy for my fellow Aussie in Rhea Ripley but damn girl, go listen to that Paul Wight/Big Show podcast and work like the fucking giant that you are. I don't want to see Rhea Ripley on the mat, trading holds with Asuka. I want to see her smashing faces and heaving bitches around the ring. She sells waaaaaay too much for her character and her position on the roster.

Roman is the best thing they have right now. He should hold the title until TLC/Royal Rumble and drop it to Big E. Then give me a New Day Triple Threat (and fuck it, crown Woods for a short run) on night 1 and Roman v The Rock for the Head of the Table in the main event.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Sasha Banks (0-6) vs. Asuka (0-4) at WrestleMania XXXVIII. Promote it as one 0 will go!

And then have them kick the shit out of each other on the way to a no contest leading to a "Best of Seven" and then a tag team ala The Bar.

• Like 1

So we got a 3 hour show with each hour feeling quite distinct for me. The first was dreadful but the second really good. I was ready for the third with it's two high profile matches to be something special but I came away thinking that it didn't reach that level. I had kind of had enough by 3am though so that probably played a part.

Orton/Fiend was so so shit. I've paid zero attention to this feud until the video package they showed and you know what? By the time this began I was kind of ready for something completely wild and ridiculous. The Fiend's entrance was brilliant, including that little tribute to Brodie Lee. But then they kept that fucking red light on and had a completely unremarkable/dull 5 minute match. Bliss did something, Orton wins, then... nothing, as everyone is teleported away and the audience boos. It just felt completely lacking as a match, angle or spectacle. The only positive was that the match was over after 5 minutes rather than 15.

Women's tag title match was another terrible choice to go on second. To go from that Orton/Fiend finish straight into Natalya & Tamina's entrance was such a downer. They had a 15 minute match for some reason. They probably had a decent match here and I noticed the crowd were genuinely getting into it but I didn't care at all.

I kind of loved seeing Owens & Zayn have a condensed indie bombfest sprint in front of Logan Paul in a Wrestlemania setting. They've wrestled each other hundreds of times and it was evident how well they know each other in the ring. Lots of fun but it ended quite suddenly. I wondered why the women's tag title match got almost 15 minutes if this couldn't even get 10. Then Sami just kind of fucks off but we did get the stunner on Paul which was nice. Feel like a pop up powerbomb through a table would've been an even more satisfying pay off though.

I found the Riddle/RVD/Khali segment amusing. Sue me. Sheamus & Riddle had a banger. These two beat the piss out of each other and there were a handful of memorable and great looking spots including that fantastic finish. I thought this match probably had the right amount of time but I wouldn't have been opposed to more. I was surprised that Sheamus won because I thought they were really getting behind Riddle. But Sheamus has been killing it in the ring lately and I'm all for seeing more of that. The shots of the bloodied Riddle post-match could hint at Riddle developing a more serious aspect to his character but I won't hold my breath.

Big E's entrance was money and he looked like a superstar. This match was lots of fun with some brutal bumps and shots. I popped for Dabba Kato. I was surprised that this only went like 7 minutes, thought it felt longer. They really should have incorporated the drums more. I think Apollo needed the win more than Big E who can hopefully move on to bigger and better things now. MITB?

Ripley's entrance didn't exactly snap, did it? I heard her on a podcast and she was so excited about Ash Costello playing her to the ring - oh well. I thought this match was good but once again ended too soon. The crowd actually appeared to be losing interest as it went on. Rhea should absolutely not be heel. Didn't buy it at all and I don't think the crowd did either. I really like Rhea but I felt like this was missing something. 

Hated the Bayley/Bellas/hosts segment. Reminded me of that awful post-match beatdown of the League of Nations at Wrestlemania in Dallas. Really thought the pay off was going to be Becky Lynch so when it turned out to be the Bellas I was disappointed. Then they ran off Bayley and celebrated with Hogan and Titus and it was rubbish.

Main event was mostly a blast but I was having a real hard time staying awake by this point so probably didn't enjoy it as much as I should've done. I'll watch it again. The crowd was really into it. Bryan and Reigns impressed me but I really can't stand Edge at this point. Great finish with the BIG DOG going over huge. What a superstar he is.

Not as good as night one. Match order and lengths probably the biggest reason. Pretty enjoyable after that first hour though.

Edited by Tuna Boss

10 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

That Ash Costello live performance entrance for Rhea sounded awful and should be locked away in a box-like structure forever.

CluelessGleamingAnole-size_restricted.gi

Phantom Zone as seen in Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980).

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Overly Critical Man said:

That Ash Costello live performance entrance for Rhea sounded awful and should be locked away in a box-like structure forever.

A Davey Richards steel box-like structure, at that.

• Like 3

I've never paid for WWE product and haven't watched much of it for five years or so, but since I had Peacock anyway I watched both nights of Wrestlemania. No question the first night was better, but aside from the Orton garbage match the second night was perfectly okay. I really dug the Asuka/Ripley match (for a long time, Asuka has been the only thing that keeps me tuned in when I hit Raw on a channel surf) and I thought Sheamus/Riddle was a banger, and I like me some Big E.

I'm writing so the more WWE-literate people can tell me what I'm missing about the booking of that main event. If, as the announcer kept saying, it was "perfectly legal" for the Uso kid to become part of the match and lay waste to Roman's opponents, why didn't the announcer also point out that Edge and Bryan were stupid not to bring their own backup? Or was it somehow only legal for Roman to have help? And after the finish, why were they putting Roman over as this all-conquering demigod when he won the match in classic chickenshit heel fashion, i.e., with outside interference? 

• Like 1

Night 2 felt like a show with a lot of good, hard-hitting wrestling and a good effort from mostly everyone, but lacked a lot of the spectacle from Night 1 and wasn't as memorable. Outside those first 2 matches which were awful, everything was good without ever being great.

The Fiend match was laughable in every way. The guys whole act and popularity is his entrance. Bad match and the red lightning continues to be awful. I'm sorry but anyone who is into this stuff with Bliss is someone who's opinion I will automatically disregard in future.

Shayna was decent in the womens tag and that's the only nice thing I'll say about it.

Zayn vs Owens was whatever. It was just them running through all their old staple spots together. Cool they got to do it at Wrestlemania but maybe their least match together.

Sheamus vs Riddle was good with the ceiling of a 10 minutes RAW match. I prefer shooter-Riddle to spot-guy Riddle though he does have some cool stuff in his bag. Feels counter-productive to have Gatekeeper Sheamus win but that's WWE. Would be down a longer rematch.

All of the Big E vs Crews matches have been good without being great. I have to wonder who pitched this whole gimmick idea, whether it was an old white hack like Prichard or these guys themselves. Daba-Kato in an General's jacket was the topping on it.

Rhea vs Asuka was a good match but again suffered from how thrown together it was. On paper this should be a clash of titans, instead we got an established and super over babyface against someone most of the crowd didn't know and had acted like a heel recently. And they proceeded to have a match built around Rhea getting a big babyface title win even though she was the less popular wrestler and Asuka worked like a mega babyface. Not their fault and they put in a good effort (apron DDT was nasty), but the booking didn't do them justice here.

Main event was like the Orton-Batista-Bryan match, didn't feel like a great match and nothing I'll care to re-watch, but I did enjoy it. A lot of smokes and mirrors but Bryan was great as always. Interesting finish to put Reigns over so strong, it only took them 5 years and a heel turn. In theory Reigns beat Edge and Bryan decisively here, so Cesaro should be the next in line for a title shot, but that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

I too never want to see The Fiend or Randy Orton again. 

I never thought a tag match with Nia, Tamina and Nattie would be half as good as it actually was. Yes, it followed Fiend/Orton, but it was nothing short of a miracle. They actually got the crowd to bite for a body slam near fall in the year of our lord 2021! Shayna brought the intensity like she always does and the finish with the double submission was cool. 

Zayn vs Owens was a sprint version of their indie spot fests, and started the trend of PWG ring apron bumps. Logan Paul getting a stunner was neat, although there was decent action on MyBookie if he would have gone through a table instead. 

Riddle gets a lot of shit people, some of it deserved. Sheamus had a nice hoss battle and isn’t afraid of taking it and dishing it out. This might sound like blasphemy to some, but he just might be the WWE’s version of Tomohiro Ishii as far as being the designated Pitbull Hoss wrestler. And the Brogue kick to a flipping Riddle was cool.

I was starting to doze off a little during Big E/Apollo. They laid it in with their Singapore cane shots, and Big E’s spear to the floor always looks great. They didn’t really use the “Nigerian drums” props as much which I guess is for the best. I had to look up who Apollo’s new muscle was, but he picked up Big E with ease. 

Rhea vs Asuka felt short. Asuka’s selling was pretty good for the most part. The DDT to the floor looked wicked. Rhea winning was the right call, but the Riptide came OUTTA NOWHERE. 

I skipped Aunt Pam/Bella’s segment. Looks like I didn’t misS much.

The main event was good, but big eyed Edge looks so ridiculous. The finish was fantastic and was quite the visual to establish Roman’s current dominance. 

I feel like I liked Night 1 more as others have mentioned. I actually kind of like the two night Mania format. It lets all these matches breathe a bit more and stand out more rather than trying to drag out a ten hour card and burn a crowd out entirely. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Holy hell, pinning both guys at the same time.   That's the moment of Roman's career.   Good for him.  

Also, I know this is going to fall on deaf ears, but I'm begging you... let's not make this a 30 page meme thread on ... whatever that was with Alexa. 

Please. 

Only issue is where does Roman go from here? The only viable option really is the Rock. When would that match happen? Summerslam?  Rock can't work a full schedule so what happens should Roman go over? He's already beaten Uso, Owens (multiple times)  Bryan (multiple times)  Edge.            Do you build Cesaro as a monster and give him the big rub?  Would fans buy it after all the years of Cesaro being buried?

To me the main event booking left me with more questions than answers. 

48 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Night 2 felt like a show with a lot of good, hard-hitting wrestling and a good effort from mostly everyone, but lacked a lot of the spectacle from Night 1 and wasn't as memorable. Outside those first 2 matches which were awful, everything was good without ever being great.

The Fiend match was laughable in every way. The guys whole act and popularity is his entrance. Bad match and the red lightning continues to be awful. I'm sorry but anyone who is into this stuff with Bliss is someone who's opinion I will automatically disregard in future.

Shayna was decent in the womens tag and that's the only nice thing I'll say about it.

Zayn vs Owens was whatever. It was just them running through all their old staple spots together. Cool they got to do it at Wrestlemania but maybe their least match together.

Sheamus vs Riddle was good with the ceiling of a 10 minutes RAW match. I prefer shooter-Riddle to spot-guy Riddle though he does have some cool stuff in his bag. Feels counter-productive to have Gatekeeper Sheamus win but that's WWE. Would be down a longer rematch.

All of the Big E vs Crews matches have been good without being great. I have to wonder who pitched this whole gimmick idea, whether it was an old white hack like Prichard or these guys themselves. Daba-Kato in an General's jacket was the topping on it.

Rhea vs Asuka was a good match but again suffered from how thrown together it was. On paper this should be a clash of titans, instead we got an established and super over babyface against someone most of the crowd didn't know and had acted like a heel recently. And they proceeded to have a match built around Rhea getting a big babyface title win even though she was the less popular wrestler and Asuka worked like a mega babyface. Not their fault and they put in a good effort (apron DDT was nasty), but the booking didn't do them justice here.

Main event was like the Orton-Batista-Bryan match, didn't feel like a great match and nothing I'll care to re-watch, but I did enjoy it. A lot of smokes and mirrors but Bryan was great as always. Interesting finish to put Reigns over so strong, it only took them 5 years and a heel turn. In theory Reigns beat Edge and Bryan decisively here, so Cesaro should be the next in line for a title shot, but that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

I made my last post before reading yours but I did get the same feeling that Cesaro should get the next shot. Reigns has already beaten everyone else, some multiple times. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LP Steve said:

I've never paid for WWE product and haven't watched much of it for five years or so, but since I had Peacock anyway I watched both nights of Wrestlemania. No question the first night was better, but aside from the Orton garbage match the second night was perfectly okay. I really dug the Asuka/Ripley match (for a long time, Asuka has been the only thing that keeps me tuned in when I hit Raw on a channel surf) and I thought Sheamus/Riddle was a banger, and I like me some Big E.

I'm writing so the more WWE-literate people can tell me what I'm missing about the booking of that main event. If, as the announcer kept saying, it was "perfectly legal" for the Uso kid to become part of the match and lay waste to Roman's opponents, why didn't the announcer also point out that Edge and Bryan were stupid not to bring their own backup? Or was it somehow only legal for Roman to have help? And after the finish, why were they putting Roman over as this all-conquering demigod when he won the match in classic chickenshit heel fashion, i.e., with outside interference? 

In a triple threat or fatal 4 way theres always no DQ or count out unless it's an elimination match.  If Reigns were to be Dq'd you couldn't have both Edge and Bryan as co-winners thus no rules in a triple threat 1 fall match.