DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 37 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I just finished the main event of night 1. Bianca is such an amazing athlete. Is she the first woman to ever hit a running shooting star press? 

Younger Io Shirai is the first.

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 2

I'd say Sasha Banks was part of the following wrestlers best ever WWE match:

Bayley at NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015 in an Iron Woman match. *****. Then the NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015 match *****.

Charlotte Flair. No Disqualification, Falls Count Anywhere. RAW, 28th November 2016.

Alexa Bliss at Great Balls of Fire 2017 or SummerSlam 2017.

Nia Jax. RAW, 14th August 2017. I know some will pick vs. Bayley at NXT TakeOver: London 2015.

Ronda Rousey at Royal Rumble 2019. Some will pick Rousey/Charlotte at Survivor Series 2018.

Bianca Belair at WrestleMania XXXVII Night 1.

I'd say Becky Lynch is the only one of the four NXT Horsewomen who didn't have their best ever match. For a while Banks did with Lynch at NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable 2005 but it was topped by Lynch/Charlotte Last Women Standing at Evolution 2018.

Asuka's was with Ember Moon at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II 2017. After that, I'd say Banks/Asuka at SummerSlam 2020. Some will pick from Asuka/Charlotte.

Sasha Banks is the best wrestler in the WWE Women's Division and one of the best in WWE all round.

I know @Eivion's picks and he will mine as it's something we've talked about before :).

Edited by The Natural

Charlotte and Becky were each other's best match. I'd take the Evolution one, personally. 

For Nia, I can't remember which one, but I liked the one where she broke down after bc she couldn't beat Asuka no matter what she did. 

I enjoyed the Alexa Great Balls of Fire match bc Sasha legit hated Alexa at the time and it gave me great joy to watch her have to put Alexa over. 

She was fantastic last night, though I think y'all still drastically overrate her ability level. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, just drew said:

Charlotte and Becky were each other's best match. I'd take the Evolution one, personally. 

For Nia, I can't remember which one, but I liked the one where she broke down after bc she couldn't beat Asuka no matter what she did. 

I enjoyed the Alexa Great Balls of Fire match bc Sasha legit hated Alexa at the time and it gave me great joy to watch her have to put Alexa over. 

She was fantastic last night, though I think y'all still drastically overrate her ability level. 

Man, Sasha Banks and Alexa Bliss legit hate one another. Slight nitpick, Sasha Banks won by countout at Great Balls of Fire 2017. Still remember this straight after it.

Brutal battering by Banks.

Edited by The Natural

Who knew hair could hurt so much? The whip was a great spot not just because it was brutal (seriously) but because Sasha had spent all match using Belair's hair against her. Not a perfect match but I thought it was really good and a satisfying title win to leave me feeling good at the end of the show, and that's really all I can ask for from a Wrestlemania.

I skipped the womens gauntlet, but I'd agree the show over-delivered. Wrestlemania has always been more about spectacle than great wrestling, and thats what we got.

Drew vs Lashley was as good as it possibly could have been between those guys and had surprisingly outcome

Cesaro got a big spotlight performance and win. In theory he should be the de facto #1 contender for whoever wins tomorrow but I don't have much confidence in them based on track record. Rollins is one of those guys who even in defeat, the story is about him - look at last year, what did Kevin Owens do after beating him? Hopefully I am proven wrong

Omos didn't do anything impressive, but he at least has personality and felt like a big deal. I thought it was smart of the New Day to play this light and I howled at Xavier yelling 'WE ARE STRATEGICALLY CUTTING THE RING IN HALF'. Cool that AJ is working with a rookie like Omos, hopefully something of value actually comes from it.

Even Braun vs Shane - a WWE steel cage match with interference built around Braun Strowman selling for Shane McMahon - managed to not suck. That is an accomplishment in itself. Thank God they kept it brief and Shane took a nutso bump that wasn't on to a crash pad for once. I'm not sure Strowman dedicating his win to stupid people was the best way of framing that, but still.

Bad Bunny match went way too long but he clearly put in a tonne of work and effort for this. The Destroyer was, is, and always will be dumb, especially for a non-wrestler to hit, but otherwise massive props to Drew Gulak who apparently trained Bunny for this match.

6 minutes ago, just drew said:

Apparently they've patched things up in the last year or so. They've appeared pretty chummy during some UUDD stuff in the last few months. Good for them if true.

Thanks for sharing, wasn't aware of that. Good stuff.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Thanks for sharing, wasn't aware of that. Good stuff.

It's entirely possible it was just a show for the cameras, but I hope for their sake it's a real thing. Life's too short to carry around hate like that for someone who hasn't wronged you in any real way.

Anyway, like I said, I truly hope WWE is serious about running with Bianca as a top draw. I've just been burned too many time to believe that by Summerslam she won't be taking a back seat to Becky's return and whatever Charlotte's running into the ground. Vince gonna Vince...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Jesus Christ

Spot of the Year. Sasha Banks kept exploiting Bianca Belair's braid and paid for it. The sound made through the hair whip and the reactions by Banks/the crowd/on commentary to it. Jesus Christ.

Edited by The Natural

I went looking for the Nigerian Drum Fight rules and found this

“The rules were explained as being an anything goes match. The idea is you are supposed to beat the other guy with punches and kicks so loud it sounds like a drum”

So, plain old No DQ. The funny part is there's no way they'll be able to sound louder than the hair whip. 

I dread seeing the entrance for Apollo. 

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

I went looking for the Nigerian Drum Fight rules and found this

So, plain old No DQ. The funny part is there's no way they'll be able to sound louder than the hair whip. 

I dread seeing the entrance for Apollo. 

Not quite my tempo.

;).

• Like 1

No pre-show matches. Last night they didn't even have any backstage interviews or anything. It's basically Booker T and JBL talking a load of absolute shit for an hour whilst Jerry Lawler makes the odd dead joke. Peter Rosenberg tries to make a decent point but JBL seems to legitimately despise him so he just scowls at him and runs him down. It's genuinely quite awkward. The video packages they do are usually great but I think all of them featured on the actual show itself last night so it really couldn't be any less worthwhile.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

BTW the show is starting 8 PM Eastern, 7 PM Central over here. Is the preshow gonna be worth watching? Like, are they gonna do what would otherwise be dark matches, or is it all gonna be pimping the card? 

Given the expected weather today, what happened last night is happening today.  Hopefully without the whole WELCOME TO WRESTLEMANIA, now prepare for another rain delay 

As of about 1:30pm here on the East Coast the forecast for Tampa expects the rain to be over with an hour or two to spare. Thank goodness. I ended up missing the first match last night by doing other stuff during the delay I expected to be an hour but was more like forty five minutes.

Night One gave me what I expected, which was a perfectly okay show. Weird booking at times like AJ being a Heel in Peril during his tag match but it was necessary to cover for Omos in that case. I think Bad Bunny got all that ring time because most of his preparation was when it was going to be a singles match against Miz.

Speaking of Mr. Bunny, fuckin' get in there! Very impressed, dude's a real fan and clearly wanted to be as good as possible with only a couple of months of prep.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

I just finished the main event of night 1. Bianca is such an amazing athlete. Is she the first woman to ever hit a running shooting star press? 

I think Kris Statlander has done it in AEW. 

Fair is fair, I usually flippantly post shit talking on the Horsewomen never putting anyone but each other and Asuka over.

Sasha put Bianca over HUGE.  

• Like 4