DVDVR Message Board

2021 General RIP Thread

odessasteps

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Jovenel Moise, President of Haiti, was assassinated in his home this morning.  His wife was injured in the attack, but she is recovering. 

He was 53. 

Yeah, it is getting crazier than it already is down there.  A friend of mine from college who went back home to Haiti to start a clinic recently fled because of the escalating violence.  The country has never really recovered from having to pay reparations to the families of French slaveholders following the 1825 revolts, and now it looks like Haiti may be on the brink of a civil war which can't be good for them or the DR.

It took over a hundred years to settle that debt.  Former slaveholders get paid but not former slaves, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Zimbra said:

RIP to the Nakagin Capsule Tower, whose demolition begins today.  Sorry we created a future way shittier than the one you imagined.

I dunno.  Capsule Hotels are a staple in cyberpunk.  Perhaps we're creating a better future?

...... or maybe we're on a direct course to Neuromancer?

Probably the latter.

RIP to the Central Bank Capsule Tower.   Passed by it a few times on the train,  but never ventured inside.

Edited by J.T.

• 3 weeks later...

Former South African president FW de Klerk passed away at age 85. 

De klerk shared the Nobel Peace Prize with Nelson Mandela, who he ordered freed from prison. De Klerk also served as Mandela's deputy president when Mandela was elected president. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having grown up in Kansas this is a tough one.  I appreciate his service and his advocacy for the ADA and I'm also proud to have campaigned for his opponent in every election I could.

• Like 1

Col. Edward David Shames, the last surviving officer from the World War II Army unit immortalized by HBO’s “Band of Brothers,” died Friday. He was 99.

The veteran “passed away peacefully” at his home, according to an obituary from the Hollomon-Brown Funeral Home & Crematory in Norfolk, Virginia.

Born in Norfolk on June 13, 1922, Shames was the oldest surviving member of the “renowned Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division now known globally as the ‘Band of Brothers,’ ” per the obituary. The late vet was “involved in some of the most important battles of the war,” according to the tribute, which noted that he made his “first combat jump into Normandy on D-Day as part of Operation Overlord.” He later volunteered for “Operation Pegasus and then fought with Easy Company in Operation Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge in Bastogne,” noted the obit.

• 3 weeks later...