DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

I mean, today went about as well as it could go for the New Zealand batsman, adding 160 runs, but England are 183/2, and are looking good for the win. 

edit: Just an example of the mentality here, it was 173/2 entering the final over of the day, and instead of playing dot balls out to end the day to make sure New Zealand don't get a boost entering day 5, England put together a couple SHOTS to end the day. No playing it safe, inded

Edited by SirFozzie

England's new entertaining style took a bizarre turn when Stuart Broad was hit for the most expensive over in Test history by India number 10 Jasprit Bumrah.

A total of 35 runs came from Broad's set, beating the previous record of 28, which had occurred three times.

In chaotic, comedic and downright daft scenes on the second morning of the fifth Test at Edgbaston, Bumrah swiped two sixes and four fours.

Broad's plight was made worse by one of the sixes coming off a no-ball and another delivery going for five wides.

It meant Bumrah, a tailender with a Test average of six, set a batting record against a bowler who had just claimed his 550th career wicket.

Bumrah, standing in as India captain, also set a new record for the number of runs off the bat in a single Test over - 29.

The previous record of 28 was jointly held by Australia's George Bailey and West Indies legend Brian Lara, meaning Bumrah has taken a batting record from one of the all-time greats of the game.

Lara dished out his punishment to South Africa spinner Robin Peterson in 2003, while Bailey's assault was on Broad's long-time new-ball partner James Anderson in an Ashes Test in Perth in 2013.

Coincidentally, England's Joe Root, who was on the field at Edgbaston, had also previously bowled an over that went for 28, but only 24 of those runs were off the bat.

It is also the second time in Broad's career he has set an unwanted record with the ball. In 2007 he became the first bowler to be hit for six sixes in a Twenty20 international when he was flayed by India's Yuvraj Singh.

The mayhem caused by Bumrah compounded a poor morning for England, as India moved their overnight 338-7 to 416 all out.

Though England were able to remove Ravindra Jadeja for 104 and Mohammed Shami for 16, their nonsensical short-ball tactics allowed Bumrah to punish Broad in one of the strangest overs ever seen in Test cricket.

How the mayhem unfolded

• Ball one - four runs - A top edge at a short ball teases Zak Crawley at fine leg, but bounces to the boundary.
  • Ball two - five wides - Too short, over the head of everyone, including wicketkeeper Sam Billings.
  • Ball three - no-ball, six runs - A top edge flies over the slips, thudding into the advertising boards. The no-ball means it is seven in total and Broad has conceded 16 from three legal deliveries.
  • Ball four - four runs - The wheels are off now. Broad serves up a full toss that Bumrah swats through mid-on for four.
  • Ball five - four runs - It's all Bumrah. Even an inside edge goes for four. Start reaching for the record books.
  • Ball six - four runs - Bumrah has swung himself off his feet for a boundary on the leg side. He's equalled the Test record of 28 from an over and there are still two balls to go.
  • Ball seven - six runs - Incredible. Bumrah breaks the record with his second six, as yet another short ball is swung into the stands at fine leg.
  • Ball eight - one run - The final insult. Broad finally bowls a yorker, Bumrah digs it out and wants a single. Broad is in a race with non-striker Mohammed Siraj. Both men dive, Broad destroys the stumps, but Siraj is home. The over has cost 35 runs.

Former England batter Mark Ramprakash: "It was just so chaotic. It was an astonishing passage of play, largely because Stuart Broad is such an experienced bowler but England had men spread far and wide - even Ben Stokes was at long-on. It was breathtaking strokeplay with a bit of luck.

"The short-ball barrage became very predictable. Bumrah is just sat back knowing what was to come."

Former England spinner Phil Tufnell : "I don't understand it [the tactics]. England have done it before and it's the definition of madness.

"I know we're in this new fantastic era where everything's great and everything's positive but that is just annoying because as much as they will want to go out there and bat positively now, with 400 on the board they will also have to dig in a bit.

"I've never been a fan of the short-ball tactic to lower-order batters, especially to guys like Shami and Bumrah who can actually play that shot well when they know it's coming every ball. What happened to top of off stump with the new ball?"

Test Match Special commentator Daniel Norcross: "I have just seen some of the most careless brainlessness I have ever seen on a cricket field. You wait 30 overs to get your hands on the new ball and decide that what you are going to do with it is bang it in short. Numbers 10 and 11 are in and there's no slips in place!"

Edited by The Natural

Eng 378-3: Root 142*, Bairstow 114*

England complete highest run chase in their Test history.

Bairstow brings up 12th Test ton and fourth in five innings.

Root reaches 28th Test ton off 136 balls.

The rearranged Test series with India ends in a 2-2 draw.

• Like 1

T-20 question: do the various leagues not have rules on clash kits? Just curious because I was watching T-20 Blast yesterday and both clubs (Hampshire and Gloucestershire) had the same canary yellow outfits. Very confusing.

Bhuvneshwar Kumar has made England openers look foolish in this T20 series so far, absolutely foolish. I can't even be mad at Buttler for getting out in that first game, he got done by one of the most ridiculous swings I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

LOL

And LOL England.

Bumrah 6-19. Roy, Root and Stokes all out for ducks. Bumrah tears England a new asshole in the first of three ODIs.

Edited by The Natural

Anyone would have gotten out to the balls that Root and Stokes got, I'm still trying to work out exactly what the hell Jason Roy was doing. And as for Liam Livingstone... 

Also, this Bumrah character is pretty good. The only T20 England won in the series was the one without Bumrah. 

Jos Buttler described his team as "coming third in a two horse race," 

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So who wants to sell me on The Hundred? Rules are a bit horsy, but the last couple of matches have been pretty good after a rather dire opener to kick things off.