DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAB - OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Sean Miller has been fired by Arizona

Apparently - the AD wanted to extend Miller but the Board of Regents wouldn't approve it due to the current allegations and investigations around Miller and the program

Quick notes from the story

- The reason he looks so pissed in that above picture is because he wanted to walk off the court and the doctor "tricked" him (as Smith jokingly says) to get on the stretcher and they strapped him in.

- All is vitals and tests came back normal in the arena two hours after the game and why he was allowed back to his hotel room

- It was recommended he go to hospital to check for concussion (since his head slammed against the floor). This is what saves his life. The Doctor at the hospital saw the floor and was insistent they figure out why he collapsed. Long story short - they found a blood clot on his lung (he was discharged a couple of days later after blood thinners broke up the clot)

• Like 1

Not for nothing, but they flashed up the story on ESPN this morning and I was *shook* when I saw his DOB was 2001.  

I mean, I know 19 years old and mathematics, but still "20xx" just breaks my brain. ?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hartford - who made its first NCAA tournament this year (lost to Baylor in the first round) - will transition from D1 to DIII (with the move being completed by Sept 2025)

A study by the school found that they will say $9.2 million with the move.

All current coaching contracts and student-athlete scholarships will be honored, but new athletic scholarship offers will cease beginning in the 2022-23 school year.

• Sad 1

I should note that the Hartford president claimed that the school was "only paid expenses" for making the NCAA tournament - which the NCAA and many a reporter have called bullshit on

• 2 weeks later...

The fields for six college basketball events scheduled for the 2021-22 season, as announced Thursday:

Charleston Classic (Nov. 18-19, 21): Boise State, Clemson, Elon, Marquette, Ole Miss, St. Bonaventure, Temple, West Virginia

Myrtle Beach Invitational (Nov. 18-19, 21): Davidson, East Carolina, Indiana State, New Mexico State, Oklahoma, Old Dominion, Penn, Utah State

NIT Season Tip-Off (Nov. 24, 26): Iowa State, Memphis, Virginia Tech, Xavier

ESPN Events Invitational (Nov. 25-26, 28): Alabama, Belmont, Dayton, Drake, Iona, Kansas, Miami, North Texas

Wooden Legacy (Nov. 25-26): Georgetown, Saint Joseph's, San Diego State, USC

Diamond Head Classic (Dec. 22-23, 25): BYU, Hawaii, Liberty, Northern Iowa, South Florida, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Wyoming

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, stay classy, DVDVR.

I'm not a fan of Coach K either (my wife went to UNC and is a rabid fan), but I think he's a great coach and has a helliuva career.  Our couple times a year trips to the Carolinas for games won't be the same without Williams or Krzyzewski on the bench.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boy, somebody recorded and leaked a meeting between Greg Gard and the Badger basketball team where the seniors all let him know they don't like or trust him.  That would explain a lot about the team the last couple of years, and why only one of the seniors is choosing to use their extra year of eligibility at UW.

It's been clear for a while that Gard was a middling coach.  I think it's time for him to go.

• 1 month later...

Going to throw the TBT stuff here, now that my beloved Always a Brave just pulled off the biggest Elam Ending comeback in tournament history. P-TOWN REPRESENT.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since they don't play football it should go here. the Belmont Bruins are leaving the Ohio Valley Conference for the Missouri Valley Conference. This leaves the OVC with eight basketball schools, at least until they formally invite Western Illinois to move over from the Summit League (and Missouri Valley Football Conference).

• 4 weeks later...

Bob Huggins is saying the quiet part loud again and spent media day advocating for all the major conferences to ditch the NCAA and create their own tournament so they can horde all the money

• Like 1

I stopped reading it when he mentioned that most of the Cinderella teams in the tournament can barely getting 200 fans in the crowd.   I mean I bet even the worse #16 seed averages about 2000 a game.    Also isn't helping his argument when the conference he is in is becoming less and less like a major conference.  Although the Big 12 without Texas or Oklahoma in basketball should be fine.