DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

And let’s be honest, Hobbs is still green as shit so let him do the Dark shows for awhile. It’s not like he isn’t getting his face on national TV almost every week regardless.

• Like 3

Why is it always Matt Jackson the main focus of any Young Bucks drama? He’s the main focus with the Kenny thing, he was the one having beef with Hangman last year and he’s usually the one selling injuries more during matches. It’s never ever Nick.

So Matt Jackson's "acting" was terrible and that main event angle was cringey af, but it is a necessary step to Mox/Kingston as tag champs, so silver lining there.

I enjoyed how much like MJF had a hard time finding something good to say about Spears, Jericho had a hard time finding something bad to say about FTR. Hopefully they get a "Can't tell us apart? One of us has hair, dipshit" jab back at him at some point.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 1

They started off with 1.4 mil viewers. Of late they are at half that. So 1 mil is not a pie-in-the-sky vision; it is a reality that they’ve retreated variously between 30-55% from. There is definitively room for growth - the idea that only a legacy-show can achieve numbers simply isn’t true. Wrestling is a TV-genre as with any other genre. Making excuses for decline is not the way to go. Growth should also be the aim in any venture. Hope they get back there and fix decision making.

14 hours ago, A_K said:

....... That rating this week is one of the 10 worst they’ve had....

...I think strapping the belts onto the EVPs is a very bad look...

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in this week's rating when they beat NXT last week on the back of what was promoted as a pretty week lineup.  This week they were up against a PPV quality NXT show.

They kept the belts off Kenny and the Bucks for a year.  When should they have won them? 

I think both the Bucks and Omega are great talents and are far better served as full blown heels BUT should have someone else writing their storylines.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, eikerir said:

Why is it always Matt Jackson the main focus of any Young Bucks drama? He’s the main focus with the Kenny thing, he was the one having beef with Hangman last year and he’s usually the one selling injuries more during matches. It’s never ever Nick.

Their time in AEW is really all I've ever seen of their work and this quirk has convinced me that Nick must be terrible as a talker, even worse than Matt apparently which is impressive.

Whoever shouted for a full arena cheering Hangman when he gets the strap, you're my kinda guy, guy. I never watch BTE or anyone's vlogs or Dark/Elevation so my views are shaped purely by the TV product. They have made me a fan of lots of wrestlers I'm sure Indy fans knew about but I'd never seen so they're capable of good shit. Hangman, Darby, some of the women (Britt, Shida, Rosa), and (somehow, someway) Orange Cassidy are all people I look forward to seeing each week who I couldn't name in the fall of 2019.

The pieces are there but keep getting jammed together in ways that don't fit, and always in fits and spurts. As redundant and goofy each week may be I'm still always anticipating Dynamite all day Wednesday. They must be doing something right because I haven't really been this excited for a weekly wrestling show since 2001-2.

I point out dumb stuff but that's because wrestling is like, at least 75% dumb stuff in AEW's case but that remaining 25% is what keeps us all coming back. Shit, in WWE it's 95% dumb stuff. But then you take that 5% and cut it in half because you KNOW that's overestimating and you've got a 2.5% of good WWE shit at SACRIFICE...

...why the fuck isn't Scott Steiner in AEW somehow? I demand a weekly promo segment on Dynamite where he slaps the Recliner on whatever geek tries to interrupt him. Oh, and talking mad shit the entire time of course.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Goodear said:

I think they need to come to realize that not all of their fans watch all of their product so Dynamite needs to be self contained to the point even first time watchers can follow what’s happening.

If I understand what you mean here, I disagree with this thought process. Don't dumb down the storytelling elements to the detriment of the current viewers. Don't hinder the people who do watch your show's enjoyment for the sake of maybe hoping new people are tuning in? I hate how WWE does this with Raw. They use at least 30% of the show's run time showing replays of stuff that already happened tonight, just in case new people are tuning in every 30 minutes. They prioritize new people who theoretically might tune in over long term viewers that are already invested in the stories. It's a major turn off for me. Imagine using this same logic for other story driven TV shows. Imagine if like Breaking Bad was written in a way to make sure first time watchers can follow what's happening even if they're jumping in at episode 8 of season 3. Just write compelling shows. If new people tune in and like what they see, they will stick around.

• Like 1

It’s strange because I think Nick is usually fine in the backstage bits, although maybe it’s because he just sinks into the background with Matt hamming it up. Matt is pretty objectively terrible at the acting stuff. So if you’ve got one guy who is presumably not that comfortable doing this stuff and one who isn’t good at it, why do they continue to force them into these roles? Fair enough if it was one or two times, but the conflicted Bucks shit feels like it’s been a recurring storyline for a year+.

With the overarching Callis and Omega story there seems to be a bit of a disconnect between what actually happens and how it’s presented. e.g. The Bucks turn was sold by Callis as a big swerve (with commentary sort of going that route as well), but the Bucks were still playing conflicted. It reminded me of Omega’s title win which was sold by Callis (and on commentary) as a big screw job, when in reality it just looked like a slightly opportunistic bit of cheating. 

BTW, I thought this show, although an obvious step below last week, was fine outside of the Bucks stuff and Jericho’s standup routine (complete with awkward we’re faces now shtick).

JD Drake’s new attire takes a bit away from his old school big boi look.

I think Best Friends may be the best faces in the company.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 9:45 AM, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Britt for the Brit? 

22 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The Being Britt Baker Championship.

The Great Britt Baker-Off. Kris Statlander wins Star Baker for her out-of-this-world trifles while Abadon gets voted off by Paul Hollywood for her bad batch of spotted dick and stabbing Mary Berry in the face.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Imagine using this same logic for other story driven TV shows. Imagine if like Breaking Bad was written in a way to make sure first time watchers can follow what's happening even if they're jumping in at episode 8 of season 3. Just write compelling shows. If new people tune in and like what they see, they will stick around.

I think this is a bit of a false equivalence. Even shows like BB tend to have recaps at the start, plus wrestling has a lot more room for exposition (promos, commentary) which wouldn’t work in other shows. I think filling in plot points is perfectly reasonable and can easily be done in a way which doesn’t beat you over the head and go all recap overkill like WWE.

If I’m understanding @Goodear’s point correctly, it’s that the Dynamite viewer shouldn’t need knowledge of BTE, etc. to understand key plot point/character motivations. I think it’s good to have stuff on the main show that references and gives little Easter eggs to the hardcores that watch all this stuff, but I think you can do that alongside recaps or commentary to fill in any important plot points, which have happened elsewhere. The two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kev said:

I think this is a bit of a false equivalence. Even shows like BB tend to have recaps at the start, plus wrestling has a lot more room for exposition (promos, commentary) which wouldn’t work in other shows. I think filling in plot points is perfectly reasonable and can easily be done in a way which doesn’t beat you over the head and go all recap overkill like WWE.

If I’m understanding @Goodear’s point correctly, it’s that the Dynamite viewer shouldn’t need knowledge of BTE, etc. to understand key plot point/character motivations. I think it’s good to have stuff on the main show that references and gives little Easter eggs to the hardcores that watch all this stuff, but I think you can do that alongside recaps or commentary to fill in any important plot points, which have happened elsewhere. The two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

If I took that post wrong and @Goodear was talking about keeping all the narrative on Dynamite it's self, and not needing to seek out BTE / Sammy Guvara's vlogs / John Silver's Anchorman reenactments on Youtube / ect... then I totally agree on that. If there are bits of back story on any of the Youtube shows, they should show clips of the important parts on Dynamite. I don't watch BTE all the time, just once in awhile. But had they even showed 30 seconds of the who texted Hangman saga on Dynamite it would have helped the over all story telling out tremendously.

It's also a weird dynamic tho. Because a lot of the BTE stuff is them filling in a backstory, or adding to a narrative, on their own. Like TK is the head writer, he writes the TV story. But then you have Nick Jackson writing stuff for BTE that comes up with more story on TK's story, that may not even be stuff TK wants part of the story. Also the legalities of Young Bucks having to sign rights away for AEW to use their IP on TV. I know they are EVPs of the company, but they didn't sign lifetime deals. Things can change down the road.

I agree with you but I can also see why it's complicated to make that happen.

• Like 2

Also in regards to the Breaking Bad comparison, there are no season breaks and no down time to catch up on the things going on. Most people are just going to watch the live content as it happens. Kev is correct that you can do obscene amounts of recaps, but it would be helpful for the commentators to relay the story up to now instead of just calling the action. 

• Like 2

Breaking Bad (and a lot of shows nowadays) does do a "previously on" thing, BUT it's always specifically to highlight past events that have a bearing on this episode's plot.  They're not summarizing the central gist of the show every week in case someone just decided to watch in the middle of, say, season 4.

Also, god damn, Better Call Saul can't come back fast enough.  Shoot that shit quick because I'm worried for Jonathan Banks. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If I understand what you mean here, I disagree with this thought process. Don't dumb down the storytelling elements to the detriment of the current viewers. Don't hinder the people who do watch your show's enjoyment for the sake of maybe hoping new people are tuning in? I hate how WWE does this with Raw. They use at least 30% of the show's run time showing replays of stuff that already happened tonight, just in case new people are tuning in every 30 minutes. They prioritize new people who theoretically might tune in over long term viewers that are already invested in the stories. It's a major turn off for me. Imagine using this same logic for other story driven TV shows. Imagine if like Breaking Bad was written in a way to make sure first time watchers can follow what's happening even if they're jumping in at episode 8 of season 3. Just write compelling shows. If new people tune in and like what they see, they will stick around.

Do you think they should do what RAW would do back in the Attitude Era (not sure if they still do) where they would show a little two minute clip at the beginning of the show to kind of summarize the series of events that have led to whatever the main story is that night? Obviously you can't cram an entire little preview synopsis in there, but maybe it will help returning or new eyes understand what they're watching. Instead, the show almost always opens with a wrestling match which does nothing really to set the scene for later.

Also, to go onto this topic about AEW's ratings dip - I think they will be in a better place once fans return. The strong point for AEW has always been the fan participation and the hot crowds. Every Dynamite felt like a post Mania RAW and that energy is what truly separated AEW from WWE.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in this week's rating when they beat NXT last week on the back of what was promoted as a pretty week lineup.  This week they were up against a PPV quality NXT show.

They kept the belts off Kenny and the Bucks for a year.  When should they have won them? 

I think both the Bucks and Omega are great talents and are far better served as full blown heels BUT should have someone else writing their storylines.

I would love to volunteer for that responsibility...

• Haha 1

Well Breaking Bad was written/created by multiple Emmy & Writers Guild Award winning Vince Gilligan whereas AEW is headed by a finance grad from University of Illinois with a background working in analytics for his dad's ventures, so there's that too .. ultimately it comes back to the same point, which is they need a better writer/editor onboard to tighten this shit up fundamentally, far beyond any questions of should & how do they incorporate episode recaps/season breaks/material from YouTube supplementary shows etc ..

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

My autocorrect remembers Terence Trent D'Arby! I'm just gonna leave that in. And maybe look up "Wishing Well" on youtube once I'm done posting this.

Speaking of obscure references (R.I.P. Blade) I'm adding a GEORGE SOUTH reference on a wrestling show in 2021. Bravo.

• Like 1

The open with Inner Circle all driving up separately, parking together and heading to the arena was the dope shit ? for a random cold open, id love MORE of those, keep it under a minute and I'm sold 

Casters line about the staircase had me laughing hard! Then that botch! But hey fuck it, for all the complaints about wrestling being choreographed and coordinated dancing or whatever i appreciate a real in the moment botch that sells the match as a competitive heated battle. Must've been a potato cart nearby ? Hangmans face post match looked like he must have snacked on one at some point 

Liked Marshall's promo, shit I liked Jerichos promo too for the intensity alone building up to the Blood and Guts announcement. Shooty promos like this are one of the things I love about wrestling, like Randy's promo to Beth about Edge for example, that I was reminded about on the Austin podcast. Gimme more plz!

Skipped past the bf's vs triangle promo, Skipped over sting and archer, no thoughts there

Never really knew much about drake before this match but damn ? I'm a fan now! Darbys gonna be feeling those chops until next week I'm sure ? Almost wish Drake would join bear country or that they join his group with nevertheless. Tldr Drake and bear country need to be a trios unit asap imo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

The open with Inner Circle all driving up separately, parking together and heading to the arena was the dope shit ? for a random cold open, id love MORE of those, keep it under a minute and I'm sold 

Only part of the show my three year old paid attention to and was very incredulous about it. "THAT WAS SILLY. HE LEFT HIS CAR DOOR OPEN. A BIRD WILL GET IN"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5